Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2657890 times)

azaghal1981

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1230 on: June 09, 2009, 02:27:42 am »
I like their live sound (mostly because of Sitek's "less is more" approach). But yeah, their material is still rearranged live. Great show tonight except for that song "Family Tree" which sucked all the energy out of the room. Slow, plotting ballads aren't TVOTR's strong suit.

احمد

eltee

« Reply #1231 on: June 09, 2009, 09:46:15 am »
looking for reviews of Doves and Decemberists please. If there is a thread dedicated point me there. Thx.

friarfunk

« Reply #1232 on: June 09, 2009, 09:50:58 am »
I like their live sound (mostly because of Sitek's "less is more" approach). But yeah, their material is still rearranged live. Great show tonight except for that song "Family Tree" which sucked all the energy out of the room. Slow, plotting ballads aren't TVOTR's strong suit.
I thought "Family Tree" was actually a highlight.  Not a big fan of that song on the album but the live arrangement was great.

Show was great and sound was good, though the vocals were buried in the mix at times.  I'm not sure if it's the evolution of their overall approach to playing live or just how they were set up last night, but I remember them being much clearer and having a lot more separation when they were at the club supporting Return to Cookie Mountain in '06.  This was more of an in-your-face-and-rocking-substantially effort from them.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1233 on: June 09, 2009, 01:24:59 pm »
I could hear the vocals fairly clearly where I was (maybe a third of the way back, stage left).
احمد

Bagley

« Reply #1234 on: June 09, 2009, 01:50:42 pm »
Shout Me Out was the highlight for me...my favorite studio, Dancing Choose seemed a little rushed...great crowd vibe ...lots of positive energy...tremendous show!

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #1235 on: June 09, 2009, 02:37:01 pm »
looking forward to tonight's tvotr show...

glad i ended up at the decemberists last night too. it was a good show from start to finish and seeing hazards played through live helped the album's cause... also, going in with lower expectations since i wasn't totally sold on this last album.

another highlight was them not playing the mariner's revenge.

nice seeing ixpd + j. marshmallow, as always.  ;D
nothx

killsaly

« Reply #1236 on: June 09, 2009, 02:51:27 pm »
I really enjoyed the Decemberists as well.  I didnt listen to the album before the show so it would be new and i am glad i did it that way (im getting the album this week finally now that i have seen it).  It definitely was great: the pacing, the change ups, the sound, the stage set... Really top notch production.  It was really fun having it presented as an united piece (though im still a bit unsure what the actual story of the album/show is about). 

I will definitely catch them again (even though its the same show) at Bonnaroo this week.    Im not sure if the show would have converted any Decemberists haters, but for fans it was definitely a treat. 

It was also my best friends daughter's (10 yo) first show (that wasnt Hannah Montana).  She enjoyed the hell out of it as well, and i am glad MPP is so kid friendly. The next step is to take her to a club venue show... But that might wait awhile...

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1237 on: June 09, 2009, 04:23:38 pm »
Wed. - The Decemberists - Radio City Music Hall
Fri - Josh Ritter & The NY Pops - Summerstage
HeyLa

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1238 on: June 10, 2009, 05:08:01 pm »
agreed about "mariner's revenge"...that was overdone during the last couple tours.

...and it was nice seeing you again, ms. P (and mr. P)   :-*

glad i ended up at the decemberists last night too. it was a good show from start to finish and seeing hazards played through live helped the album's cause... also, going in with lower expectations since i wasn't totally sold on this last album.

nice seeing ixpd + j. marshmallow, as always.  ;D
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #1239 on: June 10, 2009, 05:43:48 pm »
^You doing A&M tonight?
احمد

Bags

« Reply #1240 on: June 10, 2009, 05:46:52 pm »
So with you on that...I don't need to see that song acted out anymore, ever again.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1241 on: June 10, 2009, 05:50:27 pm »
Ha...not sure, someone is offering me a free ticket to santigold...

^You doing A&M tonight?

(_|_)

Staralfur25

« Reply #1242 on: June 11, 2009, 03:17:33 am »
Santigold show was sick.  I'm glad her fans are short...i could see over most of their heads..hahah
 :D
Maybe because I love her album and the diplo remix....

« Reply #1243 on: June 11, 2009, 07:18:03 am »
Joe must have went.  ;D

I'm glad her fans are short...i could see over most of their heads..hahah
 :D

« Reply #1244 on: June 11, 2009, 07:18:55 am »
What do they plot in their ballads?