Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2631863 times)

azaghal1981

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1245 on: June 11, 2009, 10:32:43 am »
Joe did go at the last minute.
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1246 on: June 15, 2009, 03:03:39 pm »
For those of you who went, how were the Posies in NYC this weekend?  One friend quite liked the show and said it was professional and sober...
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #1247 on: June 15, 2009, 03:06:53 pm »
The Angels are in town this week so that's my Mon-Wed, but I'm seeing Nouvelle Vague on Friday, which I'm elated about.
27>34

bearman🐻

« Reply #1248 on: June 15, 2009, 05:50:42 pm »
Anyone else catch the Meat Puppets? I saw about an hour of the show, REALLY enjoyed it.

Staralfur25

« Reply #1249 on: June 16, 2009, 02:06:35 am »
i'll be at the peaches show!!!  very excited. ;D

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #1250 on: June 16, 2009, 09:38:06 am »
Friday - New York Dolls (maybe)
Saturday - Frodus!
Sunday - Phoenix

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1251 on: June 16, 2009, 11:34:07 am »
Thurs - Phoenix - Music Hall of W'burg
Fri-Sun - AFI Silver Docs
HeyLa

eltee

« Reply #1252 on: June 16, 2009, 12:34:05 pm »
Fri - Josh Ritter & The NY Pops - Summerstage
How was this show?
Also, anyone have comments from Doves' show?

serpent boy

« Reply #1253 on: June 16, 2009, 01:39:40 pm »
Last night - Eddie Vedder in Baltimore
Sunday - Phoenix at RNR Hotel

Missed my chance at Metric tickets.

nkotb

« Reply #1254 on: June 16, 2009, 01:43:10 pm »
Ah, damn.  I was just thinking about that Frodus show on the Metro this morning...figures, I doubt I can go now.

Friday - New York Dolls (maybe)
Saturday - Frodus!
Sunday - Phoenix

eltee

« Reply #1255 on: June 16, 2009, 01:45:00 pm »
And how was Eddie?
(sorry for all the questions, I'm living vicariously right now. Plus, there is so much chatter about shows before they happen and often not as much after - which is what I mostly want to know about - the show(s). If you don't or are too shy to review / comment, grading is fine. Thanks!)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1256 on: June 16, 2009, 01:47:28 pm »
Tallest Man on Earth opening for Vandersnooze - Tuesday
Calexico - Wednesday

no Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears or the Van Pelt, or Los Amigos Invisibles for me   :'(
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:09:42 am by Hello Sunshine Marshmallow! »
(_|_)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1257 on: June 16, 2009, 02:27:11 pm »
Uh, Peaches tomorrow. Pumped to see what Drums of Death are doing live. Hopefully a sick dj set, who knows though. I know they helped in producing her new album. The new album just makes me want her to have an amazing light show. And isn't this her first show on this tour? Or am I making that up... Anyone else going? I saw her last time she was in town, she can put on a show.
‼‼?‼‼

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1258 on: June 16, 2009, 02:42:44 pm »
I cant say Im someone who knows Josh Ritter, only by name (and maybe a song). But I knew this would be quite awesome. I worked the VIP area (for guests of summerstage, typically), but the conductor of the pops ended up having some friends up there. So I got to hear a bit about what was going on and how it went (which prob added some 'cool' factor for me). The conductor kept saying how this would be an awesome 90 min set but it seemed louder than anything he was ever used to. And he had said they hadnt practiced too much so it would be interesting.

It started out with just the pops playing before Josh Ritter came on stage and then it was incredibly awesome. The crowd was seated most the time early on, and then one of his bigger songs came on and everyone got up and was singing and dancing along. The night held out (ie no rain - which hasnt happened much this June) and it turned out to be perfect. He dedicated a song to his parents who were there celebrating their 40th anniversary. He played a song with a poet from NYC. And there was also a song he played with a violinist, Hilary Hahn, who was playing at Town Hall later in the week. She was really great.

And the encore - well it just made my night. He introduced the person joining him onstage as the first person to ever take a chance on him and then out came Glen Hansard. Simply brilliant! The song was Come and Find me.

Setlist:

Best for the Best
Other Side
Rumors
Wolves
Girl in the War
Temptation of Adam
Thin Blue Flame (w/ Hilary Hahn)
To the Dogs or Whoever
Monster Ballads
Edge of the World (w/ poem by Mark Strand)
Bone of Song
Right Moves
Kathleen
Come and Find Me (w/ Glen Hansard)
Empty Hearts

How was this show?
HeyLa

« Reply #1259 on: June 16, 2009, 02:49:36 pm »
You had me until the last paragraph. And then I was oh so glad I didn't go. Did Hansard have his daughter there to play piano?

I cant say Im someone who knows Josh Ritter, only by name (and maybe a song). But I knew this would be quite awesome. I worked the VIP area (for guests of summerstage, typically), but the conductor of the pops ended up having some friends up there. So I got to hear a bit about what was going on and how it went (which prob added some 'cool' factor for me). The conductor kept saying how this would be an awesome 90 min set but it seemed louder than anything he was ever used to. And he had said they hadnt practiced too much so it would be interesting.

It started out with just the pops playing before Josh Ritter came on stage and then it was incredibly awesome. The crowd was seated most the time early on, and then one of his bigger songs came on and everyone got up and was singing and dancing along. The night held out (ie no rain - which hasnt happened much this June) and it turned out to be perfect. He dedicated a song to his parents who were there celebrating their 40th anniversary. He played a song with a poet from NYC. And there was also a song he played with a violinist, Hilary Hahn, who was playing at Town Hall later in the week. She was really great.

And the encore - well it just made my night. He introduced the person joining him onstage as the first person to ever take a chance on him and then out came Glen Hansard. Simply brilliant! The song was Come and Find me.

Setlist:

Best for the Best
Other Side
Rumors
Wolves
Girl in the War
Temptation of Adam
Thin Blue Flame (w/ Hilary Hahn)
To the Dogs or Whoever
Monster Ballads
Edge of the World (w/ poem by Mark Strand)
Bone of Song
Right Moves
Kathleen
Come and Find Me (w/ Glen Hansard)
Empty Hearts

How was this show?