Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2630883 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1500 on: September 21, 2009, 01:26:06 pm »
fixed ;)

And you couldn't spell it right if your life depended on it.

(_|_)

Christine Moritz

« Reply #1501 on: September 21, 2009, 03:08:24 pm »
fri: moby... maybe
Did you end up going?

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #1502 on: September 21, 2009, 03:09:30 pm »
I had the misfortune of seeing Passion Pit at the Monolith Festival two weekends ago.  I felt like I was watching High School The Musical:  My freshman year at college.  They were awful but the kids age 18-24 seemed to love it.  I quite enjoyed this review of them from the Westword:  "Wow, do people like Passion Pit. Lots of people. The entire upper area that makes up the SoCo stage was absolutely jam-packed with people, and every one of them seemed really excited for Passion Pit. For the life of me, I couldn't really see why. Some of the songs sounded incredibly retro, like they wouldn't be a bit out of place anchoring a John Hughes soundtrack. That wasn't necessarily a killer. No, the killer was the singer's heavy reliance on a caterwauling falsetto that was apparently supposed to communicate emotion and passion, but instead communicated "My Pants are too tight, and I may have injured my sack because of it." Based on fans' reactions, this band clearly inspires excitement, but the vocals seem to be a love/hate proposition, and for me, it was hate. "

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #1503 on: September 21, 2009, 04:38:20 pm »
thats awesome. love the review. i forwarded it on to a friend that works with them. im sure hell appreciate it :D

I had the misfortune of seeing Passion Pit at the Monolith Festival two weekends ago.  I felt like I was watching High School The Musical:  My freshman year at college.  They were awful but the kids age 18-24 seemed to love it.  I quite enjoyed this review of them from the Westword:  "Wow, do people like Passion Pit. Lots of people. The entire upper area that makes up the SoCo stage was absolutely jam-packed with people, and every one of them seemed really excited for Passion Pit. For the life of me, I couldn't really see why. Some of the songs sounded incredibly retro, like they wouldn't be a bit out of place anchoring a John Hughes soundtrack. That wasn't necessarily a killer. No, the killer was the singer's heavy reliance on a caterwauling falsetto that was apparently supposed to communicate emotion and passion, but instead communicated "My Pants are too tight, and I may have injured my sack because of it." Based on fans' reactions, this band clearly inspires excitement, but the vocals seem to be a love/hate proposition, and for me, it was hate. "
HeyLa

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1504 on: September 21, 2009, 06:08:56 pm »
fri: moby... maybe
Did you end up going?

unfortunately not, lamed out this weekend - skipped both moby and datarock.  i was just tired on friday, and ended up spending saturday night drinking champagne and wine in a hot tub.  after a couple of drinks in 102 degree bubbly water, motivation to move non existant :)

i did make it to telephon tel aviv - good solid set, a tad dancier than i expected.  level of crowd chatter was almost unbearable.  good show.
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #1505 on: September 21, 2009, 09:21:33 pm »
No, the killer was the singer's heavy reliance on a caterwauling falsetto that was apparently supposed to communicate emotion and passion, but instead communicated "My Pants are too tight, and I may have injured my sack because of it."
They definitely cant do it like Scissor Sisters or Placebo.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #1506 on: September 22, 2009, 01:51:32 pm »
I'm tempted to go see Chain and the Gang (Ian Svenonius' new band) w/ Soft Power (Mary Timony's new band) on Wednesday at The Black Cat.  Any thoughts on these bands?

BookerT

« Reply #1507 on: September 22, 2009, 02:15:25 pm »
I'm tempted to go see Chain and the Gang (Ian Svenonius' new band) w/ Soft Power (Mary Timony's new band) on Wednesday at The Black Cat.  Any thoughts on these bands?

they've both done better but they've both done worse. soft power might end up being really good.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1508 on: September 22, 2009, 02:20:43 pm »
Chain and the Gang were terrible when they opened for M. Ward...

(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #1509 on: September 22, 2009, 02:22:45 pm »

The former opened for M. Ward. Based on the one or two songs I was there for, it was like nails on a blackboard. But some people like nails on a blackboard I guess.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #1510 on: September 23, 2009, 04:46:36 pm »
Who's going to see Polvo at the Black Cat on Saturday?

I haven't bought tickets yet, but I'm planning to go.

Cali

« Reply #1511 on: September 24, 2009, 03:07:28 pm »

did you end up going? i didnt think it was nails on a chalkboard (that's reserved for the strange boys) but it was interesting. i was entertained by ian's dancing  ;D

azaghal1981

« Reply #1512 on: September 24, 2009, 03:26:59 pm »
I like The Strange Boys on disc but haven't seen them live.
Did they play here recently or something?
Chain and the Gang weren't too bad when they opened for M. Ward. Ian's mid-song chatter got to be a little overkill, though.
Has anyone else seen that super awkward Ian/Kevin Shields interview on vice.tv? It was right after it was announced that MBV were finishing up the follow-up to Loveless.
Parts of that were excruciating.

My week's been a wash so far with the exception of monday. :(

Can't seem to get completely well. :(

I'm torn between Polvo and Tim Hecker on saturday.
احمد

Cali

« Reply #1513 on: September 24, 2009, 03:46:39 pm »
i saw them last year opening for brmc in austin. i liked the music but the lead singers voice was just awful to me. i would've left but i was close to the stage and had a great view. i just had to suffer lol. they appear to be very nice boys but yeah, i cant take that voice.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1514 on: September 24, 2009, 04:07:41 pm »
The Strange Boys recently played Comet Ping Pong...opening for Mika Miko....
(_|_)