Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2630922 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #2160 on: May 18, 2010, 01:18:24 pm »
5/20
Medications/Imperial China
Black Cat Backstage

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2161 on: May 18, 2010, 01:21:06 pm »
LOVE the new Medications album...and this is a great bill. Do you think it will sell out, bombay??

5/20
Black Cat Backstage
(_|_)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #2162 on: May 18, 2010, 02:40:02 pm »
I expect it to be pretty full, but I'm not sure it will sellout.  I bought tickets already, but I always do that.    I haven't heard the new record yet.  I plan on picking it up at the show.  I agree about the bill.  I'll actually show up early for this one.

LOVE the new Medications album...and this is a great bill. Do you think it will sell out, bombay??

5/20
Black Cat Backstage

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #2163 on: May 18, 2010, 03:56:32 pm »
Tonight: PiL @ Terminal 5 (just won tix to it... woohoo)
Thurs: Innerparty System @ The Studio @ Webster Hall
HeyLa

vansmack

« Reply #2164 on: May 18, 2010, 04:02:22 pm »
Frightened Rabbit tomorrow night at The Fillmore.
27>34

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2165 on: May 18, 2010, 04:06:27 pm »
oooooh! I'll be at the Fillmore for the LCD SS show June 3rd ;)

Frightened Rabbit tomorrow night at The Fillmore.
(_|_)

vansmack

« Reply #2166 on: May 18, 2010, 05:39:05 pm »
oooooh! I'll be at the Fillmore for the LCD SS show June 3rd ;)

Duly noted.  I'll keep a close eye on that week, but it's going to be tough as I'm headed to LA that weekend and to Europe the week after.  I'll let you know.
27>34

azaghal1981

« Reply #2167 on: May 18, 2010, 08:42:37 pm »
Aforementioned Eluvium/Julianna Barwick show last night.
New Atlantis Fest benefit show tomorrow at Bossa (tentative).
Medications/Imperial China thursday.
Hume/Buildings at The Cherch Friday.
Simon Joyner at Paper Sun Sunday (how come there isn't any chatter on here about this show?).
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #2168 on: May 18, 2010, 11:23:28 pm »
because sunday is the day reserved for jesus, and if you do anything on sunday, you will burn in hell?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2169 on: May 18, 2010, 11:36:24 pm »
Aforementioned Eluvium/Julianna Barwick show last night.

1) how was this, and
2) why wasn't this mentioned beforehand?  where was this show?

Simon Joyner at Paper Sun Sunday (how come there isn't any chatter on here about this show?).

because few people have ever heard of him, even on this board?
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #2170 on: May 19, 2010, 06:30:45 am »
It was at DC9. You didn't miss much, honestly. He has this singer/songwriter act going for him now which is nowhere as interesting as the instrumental minimalism he's known for. It's a shame; that set he played opening for EITS at the club a little over three years ago blew me away. That's all I vividly remember from that night. Oh and I also remember the Paperchase sucking.

RE: Simon Joyner, I know there are at least a few people who know of him on this board.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2171 on: May 19, 2010, 09:48:06 am »
that set he played opening for EITS at the club a little over three years ago blew me away. That's all I vividly remember from that night. Oh and I also remember the Paperchase sucking.

yup, i was there for that - loved it, too, which is why i was initially disappointed to have missed his latest gig.  sounds like i didn't miss that much.

the paperchase did indeed suck, and i remember being blown away by EITS.  made me feel like i was on drugs.  or should be on drugs.

RE: Simon Joyner, I know there are at least a few people who know of him on this board.

i was being snarky.  ignore me.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2172 on: May 19, 2010, 09:50:04 am »
Is he one of those naked soccer players that some of you have been getting all hot and bothered for?[

quote author=azaghal1981 link=topic=470.msg304299#msg304299 date=1274229757]

[/quote]

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2173 on: May 19, 2010, 07:55:24 pm »
Jaguar, wanna go to this?
http://www.citypaper.com/calendar/event.asp?whatid=140765

Oh, my! Looks... appealing.  ;D .... but I can't make it. Do go and let me know how it was.  ;)

vansmack

« Reply #2174 on: May 20, 2010, 01:01:03 pm »
the frightened rabbit show was quite good.  it was the first time i'd seen them, and as a newish/casual FR fan, it was a treat hearing those midnight organ fight songs live.  it was more than worth the effort and $18.  enjoy the show!  (wish i could muster a better review, but i’m workin on 2 hrs of sleep… and i hate writing reviews.)

Thanks Heather!  I have tickets for May 19 and am looking forward to it.  I think you are about the same FR fan that I am - I have never seen them live, only recently got back into them, and was really hoping to hear a lot of Midnight Organ over the new stuff, though I like both albums.  I was excited about the show before, but now I'm really looking forward to it.

I would also like to point out that The Fillmore offered a 4 pack for this show which reduced the costs by about a third.  I was so impressed that I bought 4 tickets at $16.70 each ($24.60 with surcharge) rather than $22.50 each ($32.50 with surcharge) and even if I have to give the 4th ticket away, it will be worth it to me and the venue (for those bad at maths, I spent $98.40 on four tickets instead of $97.50 on three, and the venue will have one more drinker in the house).  Just sayin....

Saw Frightened Rabbit last was night and was very impressed.

It also had one of those concert "moments" when you know you're seeing something special.  To start the encore Scott played "Poke," an acoustic diddy he's done before.  The majority of the crowd was singing along, then eerily, at the bridge, it was so silent you could hear a pin drop, and even he noticed it.  After a bit of shock, you could hear an exhale throughout the crowd and then a loud cheer.  It was something else to see.

It was also an interesting crowd - a ton of young people and ton of old people.  Then I read later that a Canadian jazz band teacher brought his whole school band to the show (they were in SF on tour).  So I guess you were right Sweetcell - the 4 pack of tickets was used mostly used to bring underage kids into the club, but they had the experience of a lifetime.  I saw that kid on his buddies shoulders with his shirt off and he reminded me of me back in the day...he'll return to the Fillmore some day.
27>34