Author Topic: Joe Strummer R.I.P.  (Read 73885 times)

Henry Dark

Re: Joe Strummer R.I.P.
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2002, 05:13:00 pm »
How can you all talk about art without mentioning Thomas Kinkade? Shame on you!

Henry Dark

« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2002, 05:17:00 pm »
Speaking of New Order, we were listening to Power, Corruption, and Lies the other day and I came up with the idea that the Pernice Brothers should cover that whole album (they did a New Order cover at the Black Cat) Would be a little more organic in sound than new Order (as my buddy said, New Order had great songs, but delivered in a bit too mechanical, electronic way.) Anyway, that's probably a better idea than Ryan Adams recording an album of Strokes songs on the banjo.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ggw:<BR><B>
Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR>what is electroclash? is it just a coincidence that i first heard the word the week Joe Strummer died?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www.phinnweb.com/313ctr0/electroclash/index2.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.phinnweb.com/313ctr0/electroclash/index2.html[/url]
<P>

ggw

« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2002, 05:17:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>How can you all talk about art without mentioning Thomas Kinkade? Shame on you!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>He's big with the George Jones fans, isn't he?

markie

« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2002, 05:18:00 pm »
I cant stand jasper Johns and I dont get  Keith Harring at all.<P>why do you like Johns? If he was British he would be considered boring provincial and insular. The star spangled banner pictures are so poorly coneived it should be criminal.

Henry Dark

« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2002, 05:23:00 pm »
Not the ones I know, but the handful of Possum fans I know are only a sliver of the pie.<P>  <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ggw:<BR><B> He's big with the George Jones fans, isn't he?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

ggw

« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2002, 05:32:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>why do you like Johns? If he was British he would be considered boring provincial and insular. The star spangled banner pictures are so poorly coneived it should be criminal.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Because he was the first major artist to do Pop-Art, the first to blur that line between found objects and art.  The point of the flag painting was to take a readily identifiable object -- the American flag -- and paint it in such a way that the viewer saw it was clearly a piece of art (leaving the lines rough and the newsprint beneath the painting showing through), thus necessitating that the viewer had to look at the flag in a manner completely different from how they had viewed it before.  He did the same thing with numbers and targets.<P>Same thing with those Ballantine cans.  By rendering them as sculptures wasn't he changing the way people saw such objects?  Wasn't he also begging the question whether everyday objects are really art?  Or does that depend on how they are rendered and for what purpose?  Is a Ballantine can full of ale a work of art?  How about one made of plaster and conglomerate?  Maybe you would say that neither are art, but I respect him for making people think about the issue.

Henry Dark

« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2002, 05:36:00 pm »
Someone wiped a booger the shape of Italy on the bathroom stall door here at work. Is that art? I think he was trying to express his desire to be in a foreign destination during the holidays. Or just the use of found objects in a totally innovative way. Anyway, maybe I could take a photograph of it and they could dispaly it in some chic gallery in Chelsea.

Celeste

« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2002, 05:39:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ggw:<BR><B> Because he was...the first to blur that line between found objects and art.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>what about DuChamp or Joseph Cornell?<P>

ggw

« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2002, 05:52:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Celeste:<BR><B> what about DuChamp or Joseph Cornell?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Duchamp's objects -- like the urinal and the wheel -- were largely unchanged, so the question was more about context.  Johns, by recreating the object with art materials, was asking about the representation of the object, not just its context.  Duchamp would have taken a real flag and put it on a pedestal in a gallery, thus changing the context of the object. Whereas Johns recreated the flag in a conciously artistic style, changing the representation of the object.<P>I don't know a great deal about Cornell, but I think of him more as a surrealist and a dadaist.  Didn't he take objects and make weird collages out of them?  If so, I think the questions he would be asking were (like Duchamp) more about context than about representation.

Celeste

« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2002, 06:03:00 pm »
Good points...and thinking about it, Cornell is more assemblage...<P>Funny, I appreciate the concepts of the Pops' work, as you've described them, but the product, the works themselves, just don't resonate with me...

Celeste

« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2002, 06:05:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>Someone wiped a booger the shape of Italy on the bathroom stall door here at work. Is that art? I think he was trying to express his desire to be in a foreign destination during the holidays. Or just the use of found objects in a totally innovative way. Anyway, maybe I could take a photograph of it and they could dispaly it in some chic gallery in Chelsea.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>If you write a thoughtful enough statement and schmooze the gallery, it just might happen!<P>

Henry Dark

« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2002, 06:08:00 pm »
Eltinge's objects -- like the booger on the wall -- were largely unchanged, so the question was more about context. Fricker, by recreating the object with art materials, was asking about the representation of the object, not just its context. Eltinge would have taken a real crusty one and put it on a pedestal in a gallery, thus changing the context of the object. Whereas Fricker recreated the booger in a conciously artistic style, changing the representation of the object.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Celeste:<BR><B> If you write a thoughtful enough statement and schmooze the gallery, it just might happen!<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

markie

« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2002, 09:44:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ggw:<BR><B> Because he was the first major artist to do Pop-Art</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Was he? Your art history is better than mine. Did his work really predate Warhols? Which it has similarities too.<P>I still find i difficult to warm to, damn American flag and stupid targets dont really do it for me. The other stuff I have seen of his was not that well made, I dont think from his drawings that he was very skillful. <P>Kind of like Jackson Pollack, who seems to have got lucky. To compensate for being awful at drawing he dripped paint instead.<p>[This message has been edited by markie (edited 12-27-2002).]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #148 on: January 02, 2003, 03:30:00 pm »
haven't had a chance to wade through the whole thread yet, but it was very sad to read this news....<P>a couple of thoughts<P>Joe Strummer like XTC spent most of the 90's on strike in order to get out of the recording contracts they signed in the 70's.  Lets hope that Strummer stockpiled loads of demoes, etc and that they get to see the light of day.  <P>Seeing Joe and the Mescalerors was an exilarating experience.  It would be a shame if this talented group disbanded in the wake of Joe's death.  Tymon Dogg could easily keep the Mescalerors going as a viable group, seeing as his addition to the band made the second record much better than the first.
T.Rex

poorlulu

« Reply #149 on: January 09, 2003, 10:12:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kosmo:<BR><B> .  Tymon Dogg could easily keep the Mescalerors going as a viable group, seeing as his addition to the band made the second record much better than the first.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>no and no.  he has an interesting voice but it's annoying after a while.......<BR>lets face it he is no strummer.. <BR>and besides rock art is much better than the other one.