Author Topic: Joe Strummer R.I.P.  (Read 73838 times)

Samantha

Re: Joe Strummer R.I.P.
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2002, 02:41:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Doom:<BR><B>Joe Strummer's death is sad, but, well, glasshopper, don't spend too long mourning legends of the past, and instead look for the to-be legends of your own time.   There'll always be evil mothers who will say that everything good is in the past (and that life is just dirt), but it's just not true.   <P>If I may quote Grey Matter, from 1985:  "Seeing things in retrospect is something I can never do / because images grow dark with age and make me wish for something new."</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>yes, but these are the people who STARTED it all...it's depressing to know you just missed them...

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2002, 04:21:00 pm »
Well, things are always starting, too.  Ya just gotta find it.  (And then be sure to tell me about it!)<P>Not to belittle the greatness of the greats.  But I was around (albeit a snot-nosed youngsta) during the birth of punk, and back then there were many people saying that music would never be as great as the music of the 60s again.  Piss-offedness at that backwards-looking attitude was one of the many driving forces behind punk.   Punk was never meant to be a nostalgia trip.
_\|/_

markie

« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2002, 05:12:00 pm »
Ahhh,<P>Doctor Doom I agree with your sentiments entirely, but the sad reality is that I saw Tommy Gun last night on Vh1 and it was better than anything I have seen on MTV in weeks. And its not even one of the best clash songs.<P>When insipid emotionless albums like interpols win best album of the year in pitchfork..... shit that album wouldnt have been original 20 years ago, nor have been the best of the year.<P><BR>Quality music has been pushed to the fringes, marketing and demographics  have overtaken songwriting and musicianship.<P>Now instead of passively hearing "good music" on the radio or on MTV most people who post here regularly seem to have to hunt out real bands through obscure internet radio stations and publications.<P>This is not a good time to be a music fan. What music do you think captures the ferocity and the power of the clash right now? What do you see that is currently happening to be so positive about. <P>The only glimmer of hope I can see are cracks appearing in MTVs all powerful stranglehold.

markie

« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2002, 05:16:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B> <A HREF="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31313-2002Dec23.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31313-2002Dec23.html[/url] <P>interesting tale from Post movie reviewer Desson Howe from Joe's youth...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Thanks for posting a great article, Heanry.  Can you spare time for a root beer sometime?<P>

• my blog
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2002, 06:56:00 pm »
Uhhh, quality pop culture has ALWAYS been on the fringes.   The Clash didn't get the recognition they were due until YEARS after their prime.<P>Looking for quality music on MTV would've been like expecting to hear the Clash on top-40 radio in 1979.  It doesn't work that way, never has, never will.
_\|/_

bearman🐻

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2002, 10:53:00 pm »
I am so glad I got to see him peform songs like "Straight to Hell" and "I Fought the Law"...there were some other great ones I saw him in 2000.  What a phenomenal talent and what an incredible loss. He was definitely one of the great ones.  How very sad...I've been so bummed about this.  RIP Joe.  :-(  My favorite Clash songs are "Complete Control", "I'm So Bored with the USA" and "City of the Dead".<P>I just want to take a second to wish all of you a really Merry Christmas and say happy holidays to you.

bearman🐻

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2002, 11:00:00 pm »
Vansmack, did Social D cover any Clash songs when they performed???  I think Mike Ness is a fan.

MAXX44

« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2002, 12:19:00 am »
My favorite Clash songs are "Lost in the Supermarket" and "Spanish Bombs"......a terrible loss

vansmack

« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2002, 03:34:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bunnyman:<BR><B>Vansmack, did Social D cover any Clash songs when they performed???  I think Mike Ness is a fan.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No, SxDx didn't cover any Clash tunes, though Ness talked praisingly about Strummer throughout the show.  I thought he may do the old Bobby Fuller tune that the Clash made popular again "I Fought the Law" because he does that on his solo album, but he didn't.  In a weird way, I was glad he didn't, though I kept yelling the "Guns of Brixton" because I've heard SxDx do that and it's amazing.
27>34

poorlulu

« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2002, 07:35:00 pm »
i really love straight to hell..............<P>i've been singing that in my head all day today.........<P>dododododododdododo.....umdododododododododo..........

Yank

« Reply #55 on: December 26, 2002, 05:03:00 am »
The death of Strummer was a real loss to me too!  I spent most of the 80's listening to The Clash, The Pistols and SLF's.  Never had the opportunity to see them live and I'll always regret that now.

markie

« Reply #56 on: December 26, 2002, 12:05:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doctor Doom:<BR><B>Uhhh, quality pop culture has ALWAYS been on the fringes.   The Clash didn't get the recognition they were due until YEARS after their prime.<P>Looking for quality music on MTV would've been like expecting to hear the Clash on top-40 radio in 1979.  It doesn't work that way, never has, never will.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well the clash did have something like 19 top 40 hits in the UK. And all the albums went top 15 at least.....<P>So if there had not been a radio station backlash against punk, the clash would of been regular visitors to the airwaves.<P>Also I dont think radio stations liked being spray painted those two times by Joe.....<P><BR>Not quite on the fringes then hey? Although the 1979 part of your argument really does beat me, if you had picked 80 or 81, well then you would have been my Christmas bitch too.<P>

ggw

« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2002, 04:13:00 pm »
Joe Strummer Trivia:<P>Who sampled "Rock The Casbah" on a 1999 Top Forty hit?

• my blog
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2002, 04:20:00 pm »
Well, UK radio has always been more daring than US radio, which was really what I was talking about.   What are you, a bleedin' Brit?<P>
_\|/_

nkotb

« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2002, 04:26:00 pm »
I know it was a Will Smith song, but I'm not sure which one.  I'm guessing "Will2K?"<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ggw:<BR><B>Joe Strummer Trivia:<P>Who sampled "Rock The Casbah" on a 1999 Top Forty hit?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>