Author Topic: Pitchfork's top 50 of 2002  (Read 78041 times)

ggw

Pitchfork's top 50 of 2002
« on: December 23, 2002, 11:48:00 am »
If you read Pitchfork with any regularity, I don't think you'll find any surprises.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/2002/index.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/top/2002/index.shtml[/url]

Henry Dark

Re: Pitchfork's top 50 of 2002
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2002, 11:52:00 am »
I would me musically lost without Pitchform telling me what I should listen to. They truly are my musical bible. The musical diversity of this list is overwhelming! Everything from the Liars to the Hot Snakes to Interpol!

markie

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 12:29:00 pm »
Hum, well I own 2 of the fifty. If Interpol really was the best album of the year then no wonder Mankie and I sit around listening to 80's pop.<P>But then again apparently so do interpol, great.

jadetree

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 12:38:00 pm »
Interesting choice of bands Henry, how many people talk about those exact 3 bands, sure Liars and Interpol, a lot of people do, but not many others on the board talk about Hot Snakes being a favorite, are you trying to get me to respond?  And there actually is some diversity on the list, but I realize you are just trying to be a pain in the ass and that you just dont know the ones that are different.<P>I own 12 of the albums, and I would say half of those deserve the recognition.  I would disagree that Interpol is the top album, but it is one of the top albums of the year.

markie

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 12:44:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B><P>I own 12 of the albums, and I would say half of those deserve the recognition.  I would disagree that Interpol is the top album, but it is one of the top albums of the year.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Hum, Jadetree, do you only like things that pitchfork recommends?<P>

Henry Dark

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2002, 12:48:00 pm »
Kind of hard for me to take seriously a list that only includes one (Neko Case) alt-country/country/folk/bluegrass/rockabilly/blues/roots rock album out of 50.

jadetree

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2002, 12:51:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> <BR>Hum, Jadetree, do you only like things that pitchfork recommends?<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I imagine you are in a especially bad mood today due to the news <P>yes pitchfork actually is my bible, like Henry said, if their server goes down it will be like end times for me

paige

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2002, 12:52:00 pm »
i own about 4 of those i think....good choices i guess. oh wait, i haven't heard of almost half of the bands on there. have i been living under a rock?

markie

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2002, 01:04:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>Kind of hard for me to take seriously a list that only includes one (Neko Case) alt-country/country/folk/bluegrass/rockabilly/blues/roots rock album out of 50.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>well wilco was there, I think those musical genres have slipped away from the cutting edge..... <P>Not that most of the albums in the list seem to be on the cutting edge either.... <P>Interpol might have been cutting edge 20 years ago.....

thirsty moore

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2002, 01:06:00 pm »
Poorlulu typing for you?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B> well wilco was there, I think those musical genres have slipped away from the cutting edge..... <P>Not that most of the albums in the list seem to be on the cutting edge either.... <P>Interpol might have been cutting edge 20 years ago.....</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Henry Dark

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2002, 01:08:00 pm »
Though I love Wilco's album, it's definitely not alt-country. I think most of the people who bought that album are probably people who don't listen to much alt-country. (Not saying this in a judgemental way, just an opinion way.) Maybe alt-alt-country would be a better phrase.<P>   I counted 24 that I had heard/heard of. I wonder if they are the same half that Paige has heard of.

markie

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2002, 01:09:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jadetree:<BR><B> I imagine you are in a especially bad mood today due to the news <P>yes pitchfork actually is my bible, like Henry said, if their server goes down it will be like end times for me</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, I am in rather a grump today. When heroes go they go down fast, so dont expect any time to equivocate the past.<P>Why Strummer, why not McCartney or Daltrey, why oh why?

markie

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2002, 01:11:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thirsty moore:<BR><B>Poorlulu typing for you?<P> </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No.....<P>I am just feeling disjointed today.......<P>And my posting and sentences will reflect that......

markie

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2002, 01:14:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Dark:<BR><B>  <P>   I counted 24 that I had heard/heard of. I wonder if they are the same half that Paige has heard of.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I have not even heard/heard of that many. It seems that only obscure new bands and Eminem need apply.<P>Why not have some more mature bands who put out fine work last year?<P>did someone say:<P>Lambchop<BR>Cinerama<BR>Gomez<P>oh yes it was me.

Henry Dark

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2002, 01:25:00 pm »
And don't forget the Streets. That guy is the Morrissey of rap.