Author Topic: New Order Party!  (Read 2768 times)

DJStrange

New Order Party!
« on: May 25, 2005, 03:52:00 pm »
This is a single black flag warning of an impending AVALANCHE area!

This coming Sunday, May 29th, is AVALANCHE!

It's Medusa Promotions 4th annual AVALANCHE party! The music of New Order, Joy Division and all the side projects(Electronic, Monaco, Revenge, The Other Two) spun all night long!

Don't let this AVALANCHE pass you by, get caught in the experience and buried back into the music of Ian Curtis, Peter Hook, Bernard Sumner, and Gillian Gilbert!

Monday is a holiday so come out this SUNDAY NIGHT (29th May) to Zucchabar! It's going to be a blast and you don't want to miss it. We're giving New Order "Krafty" CD singles to early patrons, plus we have OPEN BAR from 9-10 p.m.

See you then!

Zucchabar (Adams Morgan's best kept secret!)
 1841 Columbia Road, N.W. Washington D.C.

Cheers

DJ's Medusa and Strange.   :cool:  

Info.: http://www.medusapromotions.com/avalanche.htm

Bags

Re: New Order Party!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 06:11:00 pm »
This is on my agenda...not sure I'll make it for free drinks, but will be there to celebrate my first Monday holiday of 2005!!

DJStrange

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 01:12:00 pm »
Bags!

It will be good to have you back at Zucchabar. Avalanche should be rocking all night! At least we know the music will be good.  ;)  

Oh, for MP's new wednesday night event starting in June, I even picked up some Japan on vinyl because of you.   :cool:  

DJ Strange

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 01:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:
  not sure I'll make it for free drinks
:eek:

Bags

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 03:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by DJ Strange:
  Oh, for MP's new wednesday night event starting in June, I even picked up some Japan on vinyl because of you.    ;)

Looking forward to Sunday.  My friend, the HUGE N.O. fan (who took an overnight bus to see them in NYC, working full days on both sides of the show) will be there as well.  He's usually with me at your events...

Bags

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 03:56:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bombay Chutney:

not sure I'll make it for free drinks
;)

Jaguär

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 01:05:00 am »
I tried to go to this after the 9:30:25 event. Drove to Adams Morgan and drove around...and around...and around....trying to find a parking space. The more I tried, the more cars showed up looking for that same coveted '1' available parking space. Finally, I decided that I had a good evening as it was and just drove on home. I ran into Dandy last night after the Kraftwerk show and she said that she too tried with the same results. Hope that it went well and that we  have better luck next time.

Bags

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 10:23:00 am »
Ah, you see what I did was come in from my suburban bbq, dropped off my friends at Zuccha, then went home to my apt in Woodley Park, parked in my garage and took the bus back over (helped with the parking situation *and* allowed me to imbibe in some red bull and vodka!).  Brilliant.  Of course, it helps to live in the District!  Sorry you couldn't make it, Jag -- but you went to 9:30:25 -- super cool.

Another cool night at Zuccha, though they closed way too early (I know, I know, it was still a Sunday -- 18th Street was it's usual post-closing time zoo filled with folks scrambling for non-existent taxis and walking around with those platter-sized pizza slices...

You must get to Saccharine one Friday night just to experience the bubble machine!

DJStrange

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2005, 10:33:00 am »
I know the parking issue is difficult. Several people had a hard time that evening. I would have recommended taking a cab over from the 9:30 if your car was already parked there. Either that or there is a bus for 25 cents that will take you from the 9:30 to Adams Morgan. It runs all along U street so I also recommend broadening your parking search. If all else fails I usually drove down Kalorama to the French Consules house and found parking down there. Sure it's a few blocks walk, but they keep saying we need more exercise.  ;)

I was a little disappointed in the early closing as well. We are going to start advertising the SACCHARINE as closing at 2, since they generally close us down by 2:30. Our next band focus night is planned for June 24th. If everything works out we will do our Depeche Mode night, "It's no good" at Zucchabar then.

DJ Strange

Jaguär

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 02:33:00 am »
I had thought of some of those options, Strange, but there is no way in Hell that I can afford cabs with my crap job. I do need to learn about the bus systems in DC, especially the routes and times. Don't know a thing about them and can't afford to be stranded. As far as the walking, believe me, I've done that on occassion when all else fails but must be very cautious considering that I'm a female walking by myself in a city that has some not very safe neigborhoods. I'm not going to stay in the rest of my life but I'm street smart enough to know that there are times and places where I should just avoid for my own good.

What time did the place shut down?

Bartelby

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 08:58:00 am »
Originally posted by Jaguär:
  As far as the walking, believe me, I've done that on occassion when all else fails but must be very cautious considering that I'm a female walking by myself in a city that has some not very safe neigborhoods. I'm not going to stay in the rest of my life but I'm street smart enough to know that there are times and places where I should just avoid for my own good.  
...and - coming from another woman who clubs alone very often - it's this bit of caution that's allowed us to survive some more questionable neighborhoods in both Baltimore and DC...There is SUCH a great opportunity to run private shuttles - or open jitneys to make it more fun -  between - say "U" St., "F" Street, Adams Morgan...and the Waterfront in Georgetown.  I cannot believe some smart young entrepeneur hasn't started this already.  There are NEVER any cabs around at closing time - and if there are a few - I just won't get into a renegade cab with some of the weirder drivers.  Of course, by the time you figure out he's saying weird things to you - you're already in his cab...major problem.  How about the 930 Transportation Company (with bike racks on the front, of course...for inebriated bikers.)

DJStrange

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 09:49:00 am »
Originally posted by BadSushi:
  ...and - coming from another woman who clubs alone very often - it's this bit of caution that's allowed us to survive some more questionable neighborhoods in both Baltimore and DC...There is SUCH a great opportunity to run private shuttles - or open jitneys to make it more fun -  between - say "U" St., "F" Street, Adams Morgan...and the Waterfront in Georgetown.  I cannot believe some smart young entrepeneur hasn't started this already.  There are NEVER any cabs around at closing time - and if there are a few - I just won't get into a renegade cab with some of the weirder drivers.  Of course, by the time you figure out he's saying weird things to you - you're already in his cab...major problem.  How about the 930 Transportation Company (with bike racks on the front, of course...for inebriated bikers.)
I think metro does a reasonable job. There is a short bus that runs from 9th street back to 18th street for only 25 cents. It would be difficult to compete with that. The regular bus is 1.25 I believe, both of which you would pick up at the corner of 9th and U street. Any of the 90 (the 98 line is the cheap one) buses headed towards Adams Morgan will turn right up 18th and drop you off two blocks from the club. The bus runs until 3 a.m., but the frequency decreases a bit after midnight. I can understand not being able to afford cabs all the time. figure they are about $7 each way from the 9:30 club to Adams Morgan.

I hope that helps. I understand not wanting to walk in the city as a woman alone. Until you know the neighborhoods some places are risky for anyone alone. Mount Pleasant is definitely a more sketchy area than Adams Morgan though in my opinion.

DJ Strange

Medusa

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 12:47:00 pm »
Thanks to all who were at AVALANCHE!  We had a really great time but I'm sorry to read that there were those who tried to attend and couldn't.

Parking is always an issue - I agree with DJ Strange in that if you are near the 9:30 Club and/or The Black Cat taking the bus is THE best option.  Myself, I would most likely walk - but I walk everywhere including alone late at night (not always a good idea but I tend to feel safe and know this area like the back of my hand).

Jaguar, to answer your question, the night ended around 2.30 a.m., probably exactly 2.20 or so, which is when we played Joy Division's "Atmosphere" as our last song.

BTW here is the setlist from the night.  Hope you enjoy.  :)

http://www.medusapromotions.com/avalanchemay29.htm

P.S.  There were some great pictures from the night.  I will try to put them up on my Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/medusa242 soon.

Oh, and one last thing: Everyone should be at our JUICE event, this coming Wednesday June 8th at Local 16!  It's free!  :)

Cheers

DJ Medusa.

Bags

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 02:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by Medusa:
  Jaguar, to answer your question, the night ended around 2.30 a.m., probably exactly 2.20 or so, which is when we played Joy Division's "Atmosphere" as our last song.

Are you sure?  I think you're an hour off...I think it was 1:30 (we asked why the early closing, we thought they were open until 3:00, and the bartender said nothing he could do, it's a Sunday so everything has to be closed by 2:00 --- hence the 1:15ish 'last call').

DJStrange

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 03:36:00 pm »

Originally posted by Medusa:

Are you sure?  I think you're an hour off...I think it was 1:30 (we asked why the early closing, we thought they were open until 3:00, and the bartender said nothing he could do, it's a Sunday so everything has to be closed by 2:00 --- hence the 1:15ish 'last call'). [/b]
Bags,

Your correct. It was 1:30. Slight confusion with friday nights which end at around 2:30. The club has a tendency to close early. The stated hours from now aon are going to be friday nights are 8:00 p.m. until 2 a.m. We will see how that goes.

Cheers,
 DJ Strange