Author Topic: MBV Roll Call  (Read 33026 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: MBV Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 10:44:00 am »
still trying to figure out if i can make sunday night at ATP but it's not looking good.  grumble grumble.  anyone wanna buy my ticket?  i'm on the way to the festival...

Originally posted by miss pretentious:
  also, I apologize for any vomit inducing that simultaneous post may have caused...  it was unintended.
i have a very high tolerance to such cuteness, and my threshold is especially high today (for reasons that i'll spare y'all from)... so no probs here.  in fact, it was kinda Sweet™
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 11:08:00 am »
Originally posted by mr. pretentious:
  DON'T FORGET TO BRING YR EARPLUGS!!!
What he said...
احمد

mr. pretentious

• This Boy Is Exhausted
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 11:19:00 am »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
  i'm considering the Chicago show as well....how's the Aragon Ballroom??
I haven't seen a show there since 2001 (Coldplay w/ Grandaddy, ha!), but I thought it was a cool venue.  Very large GA theatre, basically.  Imagine if DAR had no seats -- that's what the Aragon is, kinda.

bearman🐻

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 11:44:00 am »
5500 capacity, has a Moroccan feel because of cool turret/balcony things. MUCH better sound than it used to have, it was very bassy and muddy back in the early 90's. They've done a lot to correct that. I'm very amped at seeing MBV there, should be a very memorable evening. I wouldn't pass it up. But I really don't agree about the DAR without seats. People used to ballroom dance at the Aragon back in the day, and it's got much more character than DAR, it's got a little more of a cavernous feel to it.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »
Hot Chip are playing the Metro the next day! early show...who else is going? Ms. P?
(_|_)

snailhook

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »
going to roseland monday and tuesday...been waiting 15 years for this! i'm gonna pull a ggw on monday with half a tab.

Samantha

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2008, 06:29:00 pm »
I'll be at the Chicago show!  And I'm still looking for one ticket, if anybody has one or knows anybody...let me know!

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2008, 10:59:00 pm »
haha, "pull a ggw."

i think i'm photographing, which means i am upfront next to amps and speakers.  

so i guess if my ears fucken blow up from this band, i'd rather it be them than anyone else.  viva la shoegaze!

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 12:50:00 am »
earplugs are your friend!
_\|/_

azaghal1981

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 04:35:00 am »
احمد

lancha

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 04:03:00 pm »
seriously. Brace yourself - well, your ears at least.

According to science, anything about 120 decibels is considered painfully bad for your ears...

at the reunion gigs in the UK, MBV peaked at 129.

The entire sound crew is required to wear earplugs, and at a few parts during the show, the head sound guy had to stand barefoot on a block of foam to stop his eyeballs from vibrating in his sockets.

I really want to see these guys.

azaghal1981

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 09:14:00 pm »
"At a concert in Le Zenith in Paris on July 9 this year, the venue lowered the volume as French law states live concerts can be no louder than 106 decibels. During the customary deafening crescendo that is You Made Me Realise, the amplification on the bass drum and bass guitar was pulled. The band stopped playing and Shields is reported to have mimed the signing of papers, possibly referring to a clause in their contract that allows them to play at their own preferred volume."

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/day-and-night/features/not-your-bloody-valentine--my-bloody-valentine-1461393.html
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2008, 02:14:00 pm »
[I've moved my original post from the 'This Week's Rollcall' thread over to this one since I thought it more appropriate in here.]

Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  MBV tuesday. [/b]
I expect a full report within a reasonable time following the show, complete with setlists and  audio/visual links to the entire show. If anyone can do that, you are the man.       :D

jd930

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2008, 04:26:00 pm »
I'll be at Roseland on Monday.  Does anyone know if there is an opener?

Super psyched for this one.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2008, 04:57:00 pm »
Yes, Kevin Shields' brother's band.

Edit:
 Okay, I've got the scoop.

The Wounded Knees

[Lifted details]"The Wounded Knees are Jimi Shields (Rollerskate Skinny, Lotus Crown, Martina Topley-Bird), Suzanne Thorpe (Mercury Rev, Forest for the Trees, thenumber46), and Phil Williams (Hopewell, Evil Twins)."[/end lift]

Originally, Spectrum (Sonic Boom's band) were supposed to open but, apparently, nepotism won out.

As a word of warning, besides taking good earplugs along with you, take caution with how much food and beverage you consume prior to the show. A friend of mine went to see their gig in Manchester and he said that it was so loud that all kinds of people were leaving because they couldn't tolerate the levels. People were fainting in the aisles and several were vomiting. Heard similiar reports from London.

You know, we fans of the band sound like a bunch of masochists.

One of these days, if my obnoxious new neighbors just below me keep up their crap, I'm going to pull a government Psyops like maneuver on their asses with some My Bloody Valentine!   :D