Author Topic: gang of four  (Read 12621 times)

markie

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: gang of four
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 12:05:00 pm »
nice read thank you xmasie...

so now i need to hear me some GOF, yes it's all there on vinyl but the cds were lost to my ex.  anyone heard if a boxset is in the works for the band? or is "A 100 Flowers" the extend of whats out there.  I fear the minute something is bought more reissues will appear like the recent issue of "Entertainment".
T.Rex

Yank

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 12:29:00 pm »
I've got tickets for that gig in Manchester on the 23rd.  Can't wait for that one myself!

vansmack

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 01:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  so now i need to hear me some GOF,
http://www.gillmusic.com/go4_audio.html (check that, upon finishing the download, they're shortened version of the tracks)  

Great read Xmasie.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 01:33:00 pm »
I'd have to say that the GOF catalog could really use a updating like they did with the Echo and The Bunnymen catalog.  Certain versions of the albums of out of print.  The bonus tracks on the new UK version of the "Entertainment" are only three of the four tracks on the "Yellow" EP.  "A 100 Flowers Bloom" while worthy has limited rarities and not enough off of "Entertainment".

Anyone seen the US release that combines Entertainmnet and the full version of Yellow?
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 01:45:00 pm »
  I'd have to say that the GOF catalog could really use a updating like they did with the Echo and The Bunnymen catalog.  Certain versions of the albums of out of print.  The bonus tracks on the new UK version of the "Entertainment" are only three of the four tracks on the "Yellow" EP.  "A 100 Flowers Bloom" while worthy has limited rarities and not enough off of "Entertainment".

Anyone seen the US release that combines Entertainmnet and the full version of Yellow?
I haven't seen that, but would love to have it.  What US label released that?

I saw the UK version (EMI INT'L Records) at Amoeba a while back - they were asking $25 for it so I passed.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 01:53:00 pm »
Infinite Zero in 1995, but I'm pretty sure it's out of print as well seeing as Infinite Zero had a serious crash and burn when the label it was associated with Rick Rubin's American Recordings went under.  Henry Rollins was also involved with this venture.  I recall seeing more Infinite Zero promos then actually product.
T.Rex

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2005, 02:02:00 pm »
I posted a itinerary of the UK dates over a month ago and no one seemed the least bit interested.....oh,well.....the last time the albums were released were the "infinite zero" rereleases by Henry Rollins in 1995...I have all that were done......"Entertainment" w/ the Yellow ep,"Solid Gold" w/ the Another Day/Another Dollar ep and the "Songs Of The Free" album  also.....the reissues were excellent sound quality with original graphics thrown in.....I envy anyone able to make it over for these reunion gigs....I wanted to go over and follow the tour for all dates.....

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2005, 02:08:00 pm »
I have been hearing a Gang Of Four appearance at Coachella this year...flying all over hell and half of Canada.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 02:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by imROTTen:
  I posted a itinerary of the UK dates over a month ago and no one seemed the least bit interested..
because we all to busy crying into our scarves to response
T.Rex

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 03:31:00 pm »
Nice article on Intel's own.......Dave Allen??

http://www.wweek.com/story.php?story=1846

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 10:32:00 am »
Per morecowbell.net US Gang of Four dates are popping up!!!

Any official advance word on a DC date. Pretty Please   :D  

Gang of Four in Minneapolis & Philly
 January 23rd, 2005

looks like the US tour is a go:

Gang of Four
     Quest Club, Minneapolis, MN
     Tue, May 10, 2005 07:00 PM
     $23.50

on sale: Sat, 02/05/05 11:00 AM

Sat, 05/21/05
     Gang of Four
     Theatre of Living Arts
     Philadelphia, PA

on sale: Fri, 02/25/05 12:00 PM
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 11:17:00 am »
  Per morecowbell.net US Gang of Four dates are popping up!!!

Any official advance word on a DC date. Pretty Please    :D  

Gang of Four in Minneapolis & Philly
 January 23rd, 2005

looks like the US tour is a go:

Gang of Four
     Quest Club, Minneapolis, MN
     Tue, May 10, 2005 07:00 PM
     $23.50

on sale: Sat, 02/05/05 11:00 AM

Sat, 05/21/05
     Gang of Four
     Theatre of Living Arts
     Philadelphia, PA

on sale: Fri, 02/25/05 12:00 PM
anyone else think the whole "more cowbell" thing is PLAYED OUT?  i mean, come on, it was a funny sketch and all, but ENOUGH ALREADY
(o|o)

Yank

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 12:16:00 pm »
Gang Of Four put on a brilliant set last night in Manchester.  They must have played about 60% of Entertainment, three or four songs from Solid Gold, one song each from Songs Of The Free and Shrinkwrapped. I don't have the exact set list but this is pretty close....

Ether
 Natural's Not In It
 Not Great Men
 Return The Gift
 At Home's He's A Tourist
 Anthrax
 He'd Send In The Army
 What We All Want
 Paralyzed
 To Hell With Poverty
 We Live As We Dream, Alone
 I Parade Myself

There were a couple others but can't remember exactly.  Too much bitter!

On another note, they plan on releasing a 2 cd set in the near future.  One cd will be them reworking some of their classic songs and the other will be bands covering their songs (Franz Ferdinand, Massive Attack, Bloc Party and the Dandy Warhols).

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 02:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by PseudoScouseTwat:
  Gang Of Four put on a brilliant set last night in Manchester.  They must have played about 60% of Entertainment, three or four songs from Solid Gold, one song each from Songs Of The Free and Shrinkwrapped. I don't have the exact set list but this is pretty close....

Ether
 Natural's Not In It
 Not Great Men
 Return The Gift
 At Home's He's A Tourist
 Anthrax
 He'd Send In The Army
 What We All Want
 Paralyzed
 To Hell With Poverty
 We Live As We Dream, Alone
 I Parade Myself

There were a couple others but can't remember exactly.  Too much bitter!

On another note, they plan on releasing a 2 cd set in the near future.  One cd will be them reworking some of their classic songs and the other will be bands covering their songs (Franz Ferdinand, Massive Attack, Bloc Party and the Dandy Warhols).
This sounds like the set they played in the mid 90's at their last show at the old 9:30 club for "Shrinkwrapped"......excellent song selection.....I remember having a pint with Jon King before the show and he told me I would "enjoy the set just fine"....and did I ever!.....I will be hitting as many of the U.S. shows as possible.....certainly the Philly show as it's around the birthday time.....I heard a "remake" of "To Hell with Poverty" on BBC 6 over the weekend......don't know why they have to remake the old suff.....but,what the hell.....