Author Topic: "neo-radio"  (Read 2343 times)

bellenseb

"neo-radio"
« on: June 30, 2004, 07:36:00 pm »
NPR had astory on the "neo-radio" movement today. Basically, people are sick of radio and some stations are actually responding...

There's also a link to this industry  report.

J'Mal

Re: "neo-radio"
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 10:00:00 am »
<<<yawn>>>

it's a nice effort, but they can't compete with satellite.

da'niceguys

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 10:39:00 am »
the neo-radio thing is a great idea and it is a necessary change....of course really all it is is an actual alternative station which plays some forefathers of the "TRUE Alternative" sound, mixed in with a better variety and less mainstreamed current artist.

I agree that neo-radio can't compete with satelite but thats missing the entire point. NBC can't compete with HBO either. But one is free to anyone who can pick up the signal and the other is a pay for service.

It's about trying to correct the mistake the large stations in the big markets have made by over thinking and over researching and over homogenizing radio, till it is all bland.

This is a particular interest and annoyance of mine. And I will now take this chance to bash anyone who calls themselves a "TRUE ALternative" and plays Metallica, Harvey DANGER and Linkin PArk. WHEN THERE IS NOTHING ALTERNATIVE ABOUT ANY OF THOSE!

God bless NEO-RADIO or classic alternative or whatever they want to call themselves and please, please, please let one of them come here.

J'Mal

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 11:02:00 am »
Its not NBC-HBO,

it's over the air, rabbit ears local stations vs. cable with HBO and everything.

That's why, in the end, terrestrial radio is doomed.  They only reach so many people in a geographic area.    So they can go bland and broad and formulaic to reach as many of this limited pool as possible, or they can be specific and quality in a given niche.

but there aren't enough listeners to support enough ad dollars when you get to more specific musical tastes.  you can't charge higher ad rates to reach a smaller pool, and you can't load up the ads because that drives listeners away.

on top of it, thanks to clear channel, it and many of its terrestrial friends have loads of debt from the days when they gobbled up stations, driving up prices, and then, gobbled some more.  it's gonna be a train wreck. screw 'em.

bellenseb

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 11:45:00 am »
I'm holding out for internet radio in my car...netscape radio is brilliant. So are lots of other stations. In the meantime, I'll stick to my 40gb of mp3s and terrestrial.

After lots of research, satellite was a bit of a bummer. XM only plays indie from the last 18 months, and Sirius' indie channel is very tightly playlisted and repetitive (the same 25 songs over and over), and they got rid of their alt-country stream. They're definitely deeper and better in terms of oldies, jazz, talk, etc, no question. But those really weren't my interests.