Author Topic: On The Eve of the New Season: North of the Border Editio  (Read 184783 times)

MAGA 2020

Re: On The Eve of the New Season: North of the Border Editio
« Reply #585 on: June 08, 2018, 04:10:46 pm »
Still can't believe it.  What a game.  What a playoffs.  Amazing.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #586 on: June 12, 2018, 02:28:35 pm »

has anyone, ever, enjoyed a championship more than the 2018 Capitals?

i'm enjoying their 5-day bender as much if not more than the actual winning of the cup.  some day i'll grow and learn to party as hard as they do.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #587 on: June 12, 2018, 02:34:24 pm »
has anyone, ever, enjoyed a championship more than the 2018 Capitals?
If you come at the king, you best not miss.

LVMH

« Reply #588 on: June 12, 2018, 04:00:36 pm »
Weird ass story out of Ottawa about WAGs filing restraining orders against each other

In an Instagram post mourning his son’s death, Erik Karlsson posted a photo of Axel’s tiny footprints. In the post, Karlsson thanked the city and the team’s fans for their love and support and wrote: “We feel very lucky to be Axel’s parents. Even though he was stillborn, we know we will hold him again one day under different circumstances and the joy he gave us will be with us forever.”

The post garnered more than 10,000 comments, with the overwhelming majority of them expressions of support and sympathy for the couple. However, one comment, posted by user @sandydandy45, stood out: “I feel bad for the baby he didn’t have a chance with Melinda popping pain killer medication everyday.”

It took the league’s top defenceman just seven minutes to respond: “How dare you. You have been making fake accounts and buying hacked ones for months to harass me and my wife but this is an all new low even for you. You are a disgusting person.”
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #589 on: June 12, 2018, 04:05:13 pm »
Weird ass story out of Ottawa about WAGs filing restraining orders against each other

You could have told me this was happening in the NHL, and not told me the team, and I would have guessed Ottawa.

Also - I'll take the wife girlfriend in this one, for sure.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:15:52 pm by vansmack »
27>34

« Reply #590 on: June 12, 2018, 04:10:48 pm »
You could have told me this was happening in the NHL, and not told me the team, and I would have guessed Ottawa.
I would've considered "perhaps that's what happened to Chicago last season" for a half-second before landing on Ottawa.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:25:51 pm by Julian, Semi-Retired WUNDERKIND »
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #591 on: June 12, 2018, 08:03:33 pm »
lemme try that again...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:05:08 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Space Freely

« Reply #592 on: June 12, 2018, 09:19:00 pm »
Up until the night they won the Cup, my wife thought Ovechkin's first name was "Ove." True story.

I didn't go to the parade but saw many pathetic adults wearing Caps jerseys on the train and around town. Am I right that the names are of players and not the people themselves? Otherwise, it seems like we have lots of Russian people in DC.

If so, then I saw all kinds of player names on the jerseys, but I saw nobody wearing the jersey of one of the playoff heroes, Smith-Pelley. Are people bigoted against guys with hyphenated names?

« Reply #593 on: June 12, 2018, 09:22:52 pm »
Do you think your wife and child comes off well in your retelling of these sort of events? A common theme seems to be them being willfully ignorant of things. Is this a passive aggressive attack on them from your side?

Seriously.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #594 on: June 13, 2018, 08:29:33 am »
Do you think your wife and child comes off well in your retelling of these sort of events? A common theme seems to be them being willfully ignorant of things. Is this a passive aggressive attack on them from your side?

Seriously.

Actually I think it's pretty cool that she doesn't give a shit about professional sports and jock culture, and marches to the beat of her own drummer. Instead of being one of these little women who think they have to like sports to make their man happy. If you don't think she comes across as anything less than cool in that story, maybe it's you who has the bro sickness.

« Reply #595 on: June 13, 2018, 08:40:59 am »

Seriously.

Actually I think it's pretty cool that she doesn't give a shit about professional sports and jock culture, and marches to the beat of her own drummer. Instead of being one of these little women who think they have to like sports to make their man happy. If you don't think she comes across as anything less than cool in that story, maybe it's you who has the bro sickness.
I don't think "cool" or ones affection or disdain for sports culture comes into it. My mom doesn't watch sports but I guarantee she knows who LeBron James, Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby, Tom Brady, et al are. She knows this because they are omnipresent outside of sports.

Again, a common theme of your stories seems to be your wife/child supposedly not knowing what extremely ubiquitous things/people are and then passing this off like its some sign of cultural or intellectual superiority. I don't get bragging about being ignorant. It's fine to be ignorant -- there's lots of things I am not well versed in -- but this "look how smart my family is with their not knowing about things" shtick is just ill-conceived. Its what 12 year-olds do to look "edgy" and "outsider".
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 08:44:04 am by Julian, Semi-Retired WUNDERKIND »
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #596 on: June 13, 2018, 09:18:14 am »

Seriously.

I don't think "cool" or ones affection or disdain for sports culture comes into it. My mom doesn't watch sports but I guarantee she knows who LeBron James, Alex Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby, Tom Brady, et al are. She knows this because they are omnipresent outside of sports.

Again, a common theme of your stories seems to be your wife/child supposedly not knowing what extremely ubiquitous things/people are and then passing this off like its some sign of cultural or intellectual superiority. I don't get bragging about being ignorant. It's fine to be ignorant -- there's lots of things I am not well versed in -- but this "look how smart my family is with their not knowing about things" shtick is just ill-conceived. Its what 12 year-olds do to look "edgy" and "outsider".

I can tell you she does know who Lebron James is, because we sometimes watch basketball, and because he has appeared in movie and commercials, etc. She knows who Tom Brady is, because he's the guy married to Gisele Bundchen. I can guarantee you she doesn't know who Sidney Crosby is, because she doesn't follow hockey. She knows who Ovechkin is, because he's a DC sports guy...if he played in Ottawa I guarantee she wouldn't know him...but given that DC people refer to him as "Ove", I can certainly see how she would think that was his first name (I posted it because I thought it was funny, not because I thought it was ignorant.)

I can guarantee you my mom doesn't know *any* of the athletes you mentioned...maybe Lebron.

Do you really think most of the general population knows who Disney Crosby is? You really are a meathead jock.

Some people just aren't into popular culture like you are. My college roommate in the late 80's listened to all kinds of weird avant-garde music, yet when I mentioned R.E.M. to him, he honestly had no clue who they were. And he definitely wasn't trying to be an outsider or edgy, that's just who he was, Dan from Rochester.

Also, I'm sorry, but my 10 year old daughter probably knows more pop culture people than I do. She's always going on about Shawn Mendes or Charlie Puth or Selena Gomez, or whatever the tweens are into these days. But she has no interest in sports or indie music and of course doesn't know any sports celebs or indie musicians. Though she did know Ovechkin's first name, haha.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:21:53 am by Space Freely »

« Reply #597 on: June 13, 2018, 09:30:32 am »
You really are a meathead jock.
Literally any of the tens of boardies who've ever met me can attest that the idea of me being a jock is possibly the funniest thing you've ever said.

Some people just aren't into popular culture like you are.
There is a huge difference between (a) being "into" popular culture, (b) being aware of the popular culture that exists around you, and (c) boasting about being blissfully unaware of the zeitgeist.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #598 on: June 13, 2018, 09:34:16 am »
Rhett, just now in an email: without looking, Do you know who Sidney Crosby is?

Celeste: Maybe some progeny of Bing?

Space Freely

« Reply #599 on: June 13, 2018, 09:35:26 am »
You really are a meathead jock.
Literally any of the tens of boardies who've ever met me can attest that the idea of me being a jock is possibly the funniest thing you've ever said.

But being a nerd who worships jocks is even worse!!!