Author Topic: On The Eve of the New Season: North of the Border Editio  (Read 184784 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: On The Eve of the New Season: North of the Border Editio
« Reply #600 on: June 13, 2018, 09:39:06 am »
Rhett, just now in an email: without looking, Do you know who Sidney Crosby is?

Celeste: Maybe some progeny of Bing?
Hilarious. Your wife knows so little. She is superior to all of us knowing-things people in every way. Thanks for showing me the error of my ways.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #601 on: June 13, 2018, 09:41:30 am »
[
Some people just aren't into popular culture like you are.
There is a huge difference between (a) being "into" popular culture, (b) being aware of the popular culture that exists around you, and (c) boasting about being blissfully unaware of the zeitgeist.

Neither my wife nor my roommate were boasting about their being "blissfully unaware." I was.

« Reply #602 on: June 13, 2018, 10:29:43 am »
You really are a meathead jock.
Literally any of the tens of boardies who've ever met me can attest that the idea of me being a jock is possibly the funniest thing you've ever said.
he called me a meathead jock years ago (based on me bragging about getting good exercise walking with my daughter in a baby bjorn  thing up and down the hills of SF)
I wear it like a badge of honor
slack

vansmack

« Reply #603 on: June 13, 2018, 12:02:04 pm »
It's too early for popcorn, but never too early for a good story...
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #604 on: June 13, 2018, 12:13:35 pm »
Literally any of the tens of boardies who've ever met me can attest that the idea of me being a jock is possibly the funniest thing you've ever said.
he called me a meathead jock years ago (based on me bragging about getting good exercise walking with my daughter in a baby bjorn  thing up and down the hills of SF)

Dig it up, or it didn't happen. I would have been more likely to applaud you for the attachment parenting going on by your using a Baby Bjorn.

hutch

« Reply #605 on: June 13, 2018, 12:14:29 pm »
Waiting

Space Freely

« Reply #606 on: June 13, 2018, 12:14:40 pm »
She looked up who Sidney Crosby is.

"I was picturing a 20-something female singer-songwriter who would be like the granddaughter of Bing Crobsy...
I have no idea why...it's funny though, that I would have such a specific and colorful idea pop into my head, though?
I see it is a hockey player."

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #607 on: June 13, 2018, 01:07:31 pm »
Am I right that the names are of players and not the people themselves? Otherwise, it seems like we have lots of Russian people in DC.

am i right in assuming that you already knew this answer to this, and were trying to make a funny?  ;D

If so, then I saw all kinds of player names on the jerseys, but I saw nobody wearing the jersey of one of the playoff heroes, Smith-Pelley. Are people bigoted against guys with hyphenated names?

Devante Smith-Pelly only became a household name during this playoff run.  prior to this, DSP was just another 3rd/4th line winger, he wasn't a consistent starter, he only scored 7 goals all season (vs. his 7 in the playoffs), etc.  so he came outta nowhere and was an unexpected hero.  that's why no one had his jersey... yet.  (fyi those jerseys are expensive. not many fans run out and drop $125 on a new jersey because a player has a hot streak.)
<sig>

« Reply #608 on: June 13, 2018, 01:18:19 pm »

Dig it up, or it didn't happen. I would have been more likely to applaud you for the attachment parenting going on by your using a Baby Bjorn.
Funny I almost posted a request to have GGW find it (as he's got the forum search skillz)
Technically James Ford called me the Meathead jock
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #609 on: June 13, 2018, 01:29:18 pm »

Funny I almost posted a request to have GGW find it (as he's got the forum search skillz)
Technically James Ford called me the Meathead jock

Can you copy and paste the exchange? I'm not denying I called you a meathead jock, I just don't think I would have said it in reference to your using a Baby Bjorn.

For the record, I'm going to guess I've run more marathons (17) than the tens of other posters on this board. And I watch the World Series and NBA Finals. And I went to the Miami Open tennis tournament this year. Maybe I'm a meathead jock. :)

« Reply #610 on: June 13, 2018, 01:33:41 pm »
For the record, I'm going to guess I've run more marathons (17) than the tens of other posters on this board. And I watch the World Series and NBA Finals. And I went to the Miami Open tennis tournament this year. Maybe I'm a meathead jock. :)
I don't even know what tennis is. If I had to guess, its some sort of teen pop group that plays music the likes of which I could only imagine!
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #611 on: June 13, 2018, 01:57:58 pm »
I don't even know what tennis is. If I had to guess, its some sort of teen pop group that plays music the likes of which I could only imagine!

Haha, good one! I think there actually is a band called Tennis. I'm not sure if they are teens.

I'll let Celeste's words be (hopefully) the last, from me: (and hope she doesn't get mad for posting this!)

also (our daughter) doesn't try to look edgy or outsider, she embraces pop culture

I also don't try to look edgy or outsider...I'm a 46 year old married mom...I really do not care about looking cool...I am what I am

I don't know sports names because I literally don't give a shit and I actually resent the outsize influence professional (and college) sports have in America

it's funny that you said I don't pretend to like sports like being one of these little women who think they have to like sports to make their man happy
when I said that is one reason why I hold back what I really think about professional sports.. I don't want to sound like a drippy bitch with men...
I'll go enjoy the weather at a baseball game or the hot bodies at a basketball or tennis game, but really, if I never watched a sporting event again, I'd be cool with that...

I honestly think I was willfully rejecting caring about the Caps stuff because it just seemed to go on So. Damn. Long. and I am sick of all the stocky white people blockhead types that seem to think hockey is so cool...I just get sick of the rah rah blah blah
to me, NBA is just less annoying FWIW?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:59:39 pm by Space Freely »

« Reply #612 on: June 13, 2018, 02:16:40 pm »
I find the NBA to be simultaneously the most interesting and most obnoxious fan base. NBA twitter is bizarre. You can take any player, no matter how good, how many all star games they've been in, how lock solid their hall of fame credentials are, and 15% of NBA twitter fans will think he straight up sucks. "Clyde Drexler would hold LeBron James scoreless!" "Steph Curry should be coming off the bench!" "Bob Cousy would school Kobe Bryant!"

These people are simultaneously fascinating and lunatics.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #613 on: June 13, 2018, 02:28:15 pm »
I find the NBA to be simultaneously the most interesting and most obnoxious fan base. NBA twitter is bizarre. You can take any player, no matter how good, how many all star games they've been in, how lock solid their hall of fame credentials are, and 15% of NBA twitter fans will think he straight up sucks. "Clyde Drexler would hold LeBron James scoreless!" "Steph Curry should be coming off the bench!" "Bob Cousy would school Kobe Bryant!"

These people are simultaneously fascinating and lunatics.

My wife would rather talk about putting Tristan Thompson's face on LeBron's body. And how ridiculous Steph and Lebron and Harden's facial hair is. Haha. Can you blame her? Girls gonna be girls.

And I'll agree with you there about NBA fans. I don't spend much time on sports forums, but when I've crossed paths NBA talk online, and well, there's probably a reason I don't spend time on NBA/sports forums.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:33:57 pm by Space Freely »

« Reply #614 on: June 13, 2018, 03:58:39 pm »
To get us back on topic, other hockey WAGs are weighing in and confirm Hoffman's fiancee is a lunatic.

“Her fixation with Mel has always been unhealthy. Then it became scary. So glad Mel is protecting herself. No team will welcome this girl to the room.”

“oh man if you only knew how unsurprising this actually is. horrible just horrible. and the worst part of all of this is how @MelindaCurrey just wanted to keep this private because she’s THAT nice of a person even when a person can be this cruel to her.”
LVMH