Author Topic: POLL: WHAT SHOULD WE DO in the war on terrorism?  (Read 9050 times)

Venerable Bede

Re: POLL: WHAT SHOULD WE DO in the war on terrorism?
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2006, 06:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  Aye, it's true.  Okay, so maybe we sit down and actually define "War on Terror"...what exactly it entails...what exactly we expect to get out of all this as a nation...at what point we have reached a favorable outcome...at what point we have failed and should give up...know exactly what we're fighting towards, you know?
we're fighting for our freedom.  the terrorists, they hate our freedom.  they want to wrap you up in a burka and keep you for learning how to read.
OU812

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2006, 07:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  we're fighting for our freedom.  the terrorists, they hate our freedom.  they want to wrap you up in a burka and keep you for learning how to read.
I think that was meant to be sarcastic, but that IS what Islamists want.  Al Qaeda and its knockoffs are basically a ghoulish, global death cult which would like to turn the entire world back to the 12th century, where women were treated as livestock and people were tortured to death for the smallest imagined moral offenses.  

The problem with the War on Terror is that terrorism is a means, and it's a means that has been around since the beginning of time and will be around forever (and which we've employed when it suited us, too).   Thus by definition such a war can never end.

I'd be much more comfortable with a Global War against Al Qaeda, or a Global War against Islamofascism.   That way you've got a limited enemy -- I'd say no more than 15,000 - 20,000 tops as far as instigators and people actually willing to do something.  Rather than attacking nations, we should be focused on knocking off these individuals and their support systems, one by one.  Radical clerics in London?  Deport 'em.  Radical mosques in Newark?  Close 'em.  Financial backers?  Shoot 'em.  It all could be over in 10 years.
_\|/_

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2006, 07:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:

Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
I think that was meant to be sarcastic, but that IS what Islamists want.  Al Qaeda and its knockoffs are basically a ghoulish, global death cult which would like to turn the entire world back to the 12th century, where women were treated as livestock and people were tortured to death for the smallest imagined moral offenses.  

The problem with the War on Terror is that terrorism is a means, and it's a means that has been around since the beginning of time and will be around forever (and which we've employed when it suited us, too).   Thus by definition such a war can never end.

I'd be much more comfortable with a Global War against Al Qaeda, or a Global War against Islamofascism.   That way you've got a limited enemy -- I'd say no more than 15,000 - 20,000 tops as far as instigators and people actually willing to do something.  Rather than attacking nations, we should be focused on knocking off these individuals and their support systems, one by one.  Radical clerics in London?  Deport 'em.  Radical mosques in Newark?  Close 'em.  Financial backers?  Shoot 'em.  It all could be over in 10 years. [/b]
I couldn't have said it better myself.

yinzer

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2006, 08:09:00 am »
send bush, cheney, and rummy off to the front lines.

a quick end to war would entail having a draft for all males over 18, no exceptions.

xcanuck

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2006, 10:32:00 am »
Originally posted by yinzer:

a quick end to war would entail having a draft for all males over 18, no exceptions.
The war would end even faster if extra weight were given to all males over 18 with familial ties to senate, congressional, and executive branch  representatives. You ever see any of these political fuckers sending their kids off to fight their war?

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2006, 11:41:00 am »
Originally posted by They call me Doctor Doom.:

Originally posted by Surly Bonds:
  P.S. I'm gonna buy my pre-pubescent hooker from a poor Romanian family.
Now there's a good example of a link I'm not gonna click. [/b]
Why? It's quite worksafe.  Investigative journalism, ya know...
 -----

BTW, I WARN now if it's not werksafe.  It's the new dupek way.

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2006, 11:45:00 am »
Originally posted by xcanuck:

The war would end even faster if extra weight were given to all males over 18 with familial ties to senate, congressional, and executive branch  representatives. You ever see any of these political fuckers sending their kids off to fight their war? [/b]
What about John McCain's marine son in Iraq?

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2006, 11:49:00 am »
 What exactly we expect to get out of all this as a nation?
Petroleum

At what point we have reached a favorable outcome?
When all of the petoleum has been used up.

At what point we have failed and should give up?
See previous answer.

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2006, 11:52:00 am »
It's coming sooner than you expect, don't worry.  But it won't be the end of the troubles.  The war is in it's infant stage now.

hutch

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2016, 08:01:55 pm »
I got into an argument on Facebook regarding the burkas and burkinis and hijabs or whatever

I just hate the damn things and think women are brainwashed into wearing them.... but it seems like liberals are really trying to push the its "freedom of religion" thing...

ANyways, I think I burned a bridge or two.....

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2016, 09:47:17 pm »
I got into an argument on Facebook regarding the burkas and burkinis and hijabs or whatever

I just hate the damn things and think women are brainwashed into wearing them.... but it seems like liberals are really trying to push the its "freedom of religion" thing...

Hi, Rhett!!
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2016, 10:17:55 pm »

So what compelled you to post this in this thread?
😐 🎶

hutch

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2016, 11:00:35 pm »

Hi, Rhett!!

yes i felt very James Ford...

hutch

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2016, 11:01:04 pm »

So what compelled you to post this in this thread?

I wanted another thread but could not find it... anyways i like to bring up really old threads...