Author Topic: Tower Records To Be Liquidated starting 10/7  (Read 52431 times)

James Ford

Re: Tower Records To Be Liquidated starting 10/7
« Reply #300 on: June 13, 2011, 10:26:56 am »
At least most people won't be losing sleep over it.

Yeah,
Younger (and by that I mean anyone younger than 25) people that I talk talk to have no concept of what it was like to get lost for hours in a Tower Records... I miss attempting to get people to hear whatever band I was in at any given time by inundating the bulletin board area with CDs. I miss just having a "cool" bulletin board to leave CDs at... and I miss getting Arthur mags and listening to whatever was on the CD...
It's a crying shame that the Rockville store is, I think, some mattress outlet...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #301 on: June 13, 2011, 11:34:39 am »

this was a useful and insightful comment.  my understanding of the topic has been expanded.
<sig>

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #302 on: June 13, 2011, 12:06:31 pm »
Re-read this thread before work this morning.  Great stuff.

While I did get some good stuff at a great price I remember being a little disappointed with my acquisitions from the closeouts.  I had hoped to come away with a lot more than I actually did.  I was, however, able to flip some of the out-of-print recordings I bought so the ones I kept cost me next to nothing.

James Ford

« Reply #303 on: June 13, 2011, 01:29:15 pm »
I'm glad your understanding was expanded, but the point of my post was to make a funny. People won't be losing sleep because the building is now a mattress store. Get it?

this was a useful and insightful comment.  my understanding of the topic has been expanded.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #304 on: June 14, 2011, 09:31:50 am »
I'm 24 and I used to spend no less than 2 hours in Tower every time I went.
‼‼?‼‼

walkonby

« Reply #305 on: June 14, 2011, 09:56:51 am »
when i was a kid, we made coffee in a pot, because that is what people did, and we drank it out of cup made of pottery. 

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #306 on: June 14, 2011, 10:01:45 am »
Tower never did much for me.  But I did spend hours and hours at Vinyl Ink, Yesterday & Today, and the original Record Convergence in Falls Church...

And we used to boil water in my house for coffee when i was a kid, and pour it directly over the grinds.  Hhmmmmm

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #307 on: June 14, 2011, 11:54:29 am »

I spent the last day the Fairfax store was open picking over their carcass with James Ford.......those 25 cent cd's were cool.....

walkonby

« Reply #308 on: June 14, 2011, 02:37:22 pm »
i like the fact that when record stores were around . . . i hated them because they overcharged for cds, because they could.  i wish i would have told them to lower their prices because i didn't like it.  now they are gone . . . i miss them and want them back.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #309 on: June 14, 2011, 03:50:22 pm »
i like the fact that when record stores were around . . . i hated them because they overcharged for cds, because they could.  i wish i would have told them to lower their prices because i didn't like it.  now they are gone . . . i miss them and want them back.
"20$ for a brand new cd? Gladly"

Is there any single CD on Amazon that's 20$?
‼‼?‼‼

evilizac

« Reply #310 on: June 14, 2011, 04:20:23 pm »
"20$ for a brand new cd? Gladly"

Is there any single CD on Amazon that's 20$?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0055LGAF8/ref=sr_1_1_olp?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1308082711&sr=1-1&condition=used
WHAT?

eltee

« Reply #311 on: June 14, 2011, 07:20:19 pm »
If anyone is interested, there is a FB group devoted to the documentary (separate from the Tower FB group page):
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_118988474854025#!/pages/Tower-Records-Documentary/150978738296041

People are posting their stories, opinions and when and where they worked - kinda cool.
Colin's page on Kickstarter has an audio interview more about the project. Along with more posts and a letter from Russ. http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1280611212
(here's twitter but it's basic w/ announcements: http://twitter.com/#!/TowerRecordsDoc)

Would be cool to watch the film locally, or see it a part of a film festival. Perhaps at the club with an anniversary re-showing of the 930 doc. ;) (yeah, that would be cool to have 930 as a stop on a film festival or show music minded films; perhaps a matinee)http://
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:41:20 pm by Nomeimporta »

eltee

« Reply #312 on: July 08, 2011, 09:58:47 am »
Update to project: "We have one week of fundraising left and some really exciting news.  Rhino Records, which actually started out as a record store in Westwood California, has come on board the project.  They have offered to help us with fundraising efforts and we are excited to present a limited package of five-vinyl albums hand picked by Director Colin Hanks that will include a personalized note explaining the record selections and their importance to him.  Also, five-vinyl albums hand picked by Tower Records Founder Russ Solomon that will include a personalized note explaining the record selections and their importance to him.  Some of this vinyl is out of print or soon will be."

"If you?ve already donated, but would like to grab the records as well, please just select the record bundle and add your original pledge amount to it, send us a quick note and we?ll put you down for both."