Author Topic: I'm moving. Please help.  (Read 5426 times)

kkane84

I'm moving. Please help.
« on: July 20, 2005, 07:48:00 pm »
I am moving at the end of this month and I am looking for advice.  I have a bunch of free weights and I can't think of an efficient way to move them.  I have a pretty strong feeling of dread regarding this move as it is.  It's either 95 degrees or raining every day. I'm not good at packing and I'm very bad at loading a truck.  I shouldn't really be surprised that I can't load a truck considering that I have always been bad at Tetris and geometry.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mongo

Re: I'm moving. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 10:17:00 pm »
I always imagined free weights being one of the worst things to move.  By nature they are supposed to be hard to move; that's their purpose.  If it's a local move I suggest you rope in as many of your friends as possible and feed them lots of beer as a reward when you all are done.  As far as moving the weights, don't put them in the truck.  Try to use an SUV or pickup for the weights so they don't roll around a crush your furniture.

kkane84

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:43:00 pm »
Yes, there will definitely be plenty of beer, although that will probably be insufficient considering I'm moving from a 4th floor apartment to a 3rd floor condo with no elevators in either complex.  Most of my friends do not know that yet, though.  I'm sure they'll be thrilled once they find out.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 04:05:00 am »
Friends help you move, good friends help you move bodies.
FUKIT

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 05:10:00 am »
Great Scott Movers......worth every penny!

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 09:19:00 am »
Originally posted by kkane84:
  Yes, there will definitely be plenty of beer, although that will probably be insufficient considering I'm moving from a 4th floor apartment to a 3rd floor condo with no elevators in either complex.  Most of my friends do not know that yet, though.  I'm sure they'll be thrilled once they find out.
must be good friends! i would certainly be asking that sort of thing before agreeing to help!

Candy Flesh

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 09:46:00 am »
I just moved last weekend, I feel yr pain!!!  My friends had some of the most sour looks on their faces while helping, we were all drenched in sweat coz it was fucking hot! You shouldn't feel guilty...I am sure there are times you have helped yr mates out, they are just returning a favor.  Maybe give em all oral after the whole ordeal.  :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 09:52:00 am »
Originally posted by Candy Flesh:
   Maybe give em all oral after the whole ordeal.   :)  
OH MY GAWD!!!!

Candy Flesh

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 10:01:00 am »
funny joke I was reading of Mitch Hedberg's while skimming thru his eulogy in EW

"Last week I helped my friend stay put. It's a lot easier than helping someone move. I just went over to his house and made sure he did not start to load shit into a truck."
 haha

kkane84

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 10:29:00 am »
Beer-- yes.  Pizza-- probably.  Oral-- no.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 11:06:00 am »
we hired movers for our move next week and, after moving a bunch the last few years, i couldn't be happier about it ... it'll be the best couple of hundred bucks i've ever spent
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 12:15:00 pm »
I have never asked anyone to help me move, and I just moved an insane amount of stuff.  Packed it all and did it all myself, not one friend lifted a finger.  Movers worked theirs off...if you have furniture, I think you should hire movers.  If it's a local move and you don't have tons of stuff, it's a few hundred bucks.  Worth every penny (don't forget to tip).

Are you moving by Aug 1?  If it's later, I can probably pass on a lot of boxes to you...

sonickteam2

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 12:22:00 pm »
i agree!!! i just moved my own stuff for the LAST TIME. movers it is for the rest of time...

pj

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 12:27:00 pm »
I just moved and used "two guys and a truck." They were actually pretty good and quick too. I just helped do everything with them, so it was like having an extra person with them and we did my entire one bedroom in two hours.

hutch

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 01:15:28 pm »
looks like moving out of our 937 sq feet hovel....