Author Topic: The 2009 Albums Thread  (Read 193803 times)

hutch

Re: The 2009 Albums Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2008, 09:14:00 am »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  La Cucaracha was less than stellar, though.
I like it....its a fun record to put on at a party...

But hey I'm biased.. I love these guys...

My favorite music critic  Erlewine  sees it the same way:

In the initial round of promotion for 2007's La Cucaracha, Ween's first album for Rounder and first in four years, Dean Ween called it a "party record, unlike our last record (Quebec) which was more of a Jonestown type party vibe," which is about as accurate a self-criticism as an artist has ever given. Quebec left a hazy, narcotic aftertaste that the giddy La Cucaracha blows away as the band reverts back to all their signatures: they never stay in one place too long, they spike most songs with their impish humor, and every track shows their knack for savvy, sly, odd arrangements. In that sense, the record could almost be seen as a back-to-basics album, as it's pitched somewhere between the sonics of Pure Guava and the sensibility of Chocolate and Cheese, but that's misleading, as it suggests that Ween are self-consciously striving to recapture past glories. Nothing could be further from the truth. La Cucaracha is the sound of Ween cutting loose, reveling in the lower budget and expectations an indie label brings, and playing music that simply sounds good. And, make no mistake, this is a party record -- quite literally so, as it's bookended with the spangly, mariachi rock & roll instrumental "Fiesta" and the decadently suave "Your Party," two songs that explicitly celebrate parties. The latter features a divine cameo from David Sanborn, whose alto saxophone gives this lounge party precisely the right sense of velvet flair, and whose very presence signals just how far Ween have come as musicians since the heyday of The Pod and Pure Guava. Back then, they were wildly imaginative young punks, creating their own world on a four-track, but they continued to expand their horizons with each successive album for Elektra in the '90s, growing as writers and musicians with each LP.

With La Cucaracha, they return full circle, recording the album in a rented farmhouse in their hometown of New Hope, PA, and they seem re-energized by the smaller scale yet they don't abandon the frightening musical acumen they've garnered in the past 15 years. As such, the album is almost the best of both worlds: it has the devilish, off-kilter vibe of the earliest records but it's played with the skill of their latter-day albums, so this bounces from the elastic pop of "Blue Balloon" to the full-throated roar of "My Own Bare Hands," as punishing a rocker as they've ever cut. And while they never abandon genre-hopping -- "The Fruit Man" is this album's excursion into reggae, "Spirit Walker" and the ten-minute "Woman and Man" their prog rock numbers -- nothing feels like a deliberate parody. All the different musical strands feel fully absorbed, to the extent that when Gene Ween dips into Roger Miller nonsense on the chorus of the deliriously fun "Learnin' to Love," it doesn't seem like a send-up, it just feels like a natural move, an indication of how ferociously talented this duo is. At this point, 17 years after their debut, Ween may not surprise as often as they once did, but they've long ago transitioned away from relying on shock humor and have become one of the most consistently satisfying rock bands in America, and La Cucaracha captures them at a peak, which is surely reason enough to throw a party. After all, Ween have given you an ideal soundtrack for one with this album.

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 09:24:00 am »
Wilco
 Band of Horses
 Neko Case

azaghal1981

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 09:34:00 am »
Those myspace tracks had me hoping against hope that the new Circulatory System would finally surface this year but to no avail.

'09!
احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 09:44:00 am »
Gallows
 fingers crossed for a new Howling Bells
 Antony & the Johnsons

COMETS ON FIRE
oword

edbert

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 09:45:00 am »
new Handsomeboy Technique CD this winter [clever sample-based and heavily layered music in a similar approach as The Avalanches, who will also have their own second CD out. The first HBT CD had more good tracks than the Avalanches and I predict the same for this round]

nkotb

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 09:45:00 am »
REALLY?  That rules!

Originally posted by Relaxer:
 COMETS ON FIRE

azaghal1981

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 09:50:00 am »
Yeah I didn't know that either.

Originally posted by nkotb:
  REALLY?  That rules!

Originally posted by Relaxer:
 COMETS ON FIRE
[/b]
The Avalanches album is another one that is perpetually in push-back mode.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2008, 10:27:00 am »
chinese democracy.  yeah baby!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2008, 10:36:00 am »
supposedly the new U2 has been delayed until '09, and music retailers are complaining.  they were hoping bono & co would ensure a happy holiday season for them.
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2008, 10:57:00 am »
Comets on Fire was posted in exclamatory hopefulness. They were on hiatus, but they've been playing together again. Therefore I hope and pray a new album comes out and that it trends more toward Blue Cathedral than Avater.

Oh yeah, where the hell is Essex Green?
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2008, 11:08:00 am »
The last Essex Green album just might be the most underrated album of '06.

Could've sworn someone told me that Ben Chasny and the other two Comets guys weren't exactly getting along. Good to hear that's in the past. Chasny's one of the last people I thought would have a beef with anyone; definitely one of the nicest and most easy-going musicians I've met.

P.S. Howlin' Rain is a gigantic piece of shit and needs to go away forever.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 11:21:00 am »
Tracklist

This announcement had me too excited to wait for someone to start this thread some time in the next couple months.

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Love the title!   :D  

azaghal1981

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 11:27:00 am »
Yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!

All my favs from the last batch of new songs.
احمد

nkotb

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 11:31:00 am »
Can't say I've heard any, to my knowledge.  I don't think I've seen them since the Sung Tongs tour.  Got surprised by a sell-out the next time and was out of town for the 9:30 show  :(

Yes yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!

All my favs from the last batch of new songs.

teepo

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 11:56:00 am »
massive attack
 envy