Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2102483 times)

hutch

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #6780 on: April 10, 2017, 09:31:51 am »
^Agree....but I didn't hear it til many years later which is so weird since I was one of those people desperately buying anything Pavement related.. the only thing I can figure is that the first thing I bought by the Silver Jews I did not like at all and stopped buying their stuff? I used to have the Arizona record but got rid of it.. still over the years without intending to looks like I picked up most of their stuff.. I prefer American Water by miles over Brighten the Corners or Terror Twilight..

hutch

« Reply #6781 on: April 10, 2017, 09:35:23 am »
also by the time American Water came out maybe I was no longer obsessive about Pavement... and had moved into my Bob Dylan obsesso phase.. anyways crazy to have slept on such a great album

Bagley

« Reply #6782 on: April 10, 2017, 09:36:19 am »
American Water is perfection.

Happy Passover

hutch

« Reply #6783 on: April 10, 2017, 10:00:22 am »
wow I must be subconsciously getting in touch with my inner Jew...

ggw

« Reply #6784 on: April 10, 2017, 12:42:37 pm »

dyecraig

« Reply #6785 on: April 10, 2017, 06:38:54 pm »
I'm sure INKWYC backs me up on what an amazing album this is...

http://diffuser.fm/clash-debut-album/
yeah, but UK or US version?

dyecraig

« Reply #6786 on: April 10, 2017, 06:40:10 pm »
Love- False Start

Call me crazy but I really like this one and can't stand Forever Changes...stylistically completely different...much more rock and less hippy dippy

ok, but that's not hendrix on the everlasting first.

hutch

« Reply #6787 on: April 10, 2017, 06:49:08 pm »
Love- False Start

Call me crazy but I really like this one and can't stand Forever Changes...stylistically completely different...much more rock and less hippy dippy

ok, but that's not hendrix on the everlasting first.

I've read that...and that was my instinct..

I just happen to not get Forever Changes.. I really can't bear to hear it..

« Reply #6788 on: April 10, 2017, 06:53:03 pm »

the US version is THE version
The US didn't get to have all the singles and such, so the US version is such a good compilation of what they were doing
slack

hutch

« Reply #6789 on: April 10, 2017, 07:06:27 pm »

The US didn't get to have all the singles and such, so the US version is such a good compilation of what they were doing

precisely why the UK version is the only one to get.. the US version is not an album but a compilation.. if you want a compilation plenty of great options.. if you want a landmark punk album full of visceral energy get the UK one.. I mean the US release has stuff from 1978 and 1979 while the UK one is their first album from 1977...

hutch

« Reply #6790 on: April 10, 2017, 07:31:16 pm »
Black Angels - Indigo Meadow

hutch

« Reply #6791 on: April 10, 2017, 08:27:50 pm »
Neil Young- Chrome Dreams II

« Reply #6792 on: April 10, 2017, 09:40:03 pm »

precisely why the UK version is the only one to get.. the US version is not an album but a compilation.. if you want a compilation plenty of great options.. if you want a landmark punk album full of visceral energy get the UK one.. I mean the US release has stuff from 1978 and 1979 while the UK one is their first album from 1977...
true
but opening with Clash City Rockers ....just blew my 12 year old ears out of the water
and the inclusion of Complete Control and (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
just make it a masterpeice IMO

I didn't know that Initial copies of the US version also came with a bonus 7-inch single which featured "Groovy Times" and "Gates of the West".
GotW is probably one of my favorite deep cuts "Little Richard's in the kitchen playing spoons and plates. He's telling the waitress he's great"

I Fought the Law- freakin classic...no idea that it had been recorded in May of 79!

the song left out were not that great
Deny, Cheat, Protex Blue, and 48 Hours

Cheat was great and ended up appearing on Black Market Clash
Those two US releases have soo much good stuff compiled prior to the LC/Sand/CR

but agreed...it's a compilation, but God damn if it's not one of the best I've ever heard

slack

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #6793 on: April 11, 2017, 07:37:34 am »
Am I the only person who thinks the Clash haven't aged well at all? Loved some (nowhere near all) of their stuff back in the day, but it hasn't stood the test of time. At least to my ears, anyway.

hutch

« Reply #6794 on: April 11, 2017, 09:28:47 am »
Am I the only person who thinks the Clash haven't aged well at all? Loved some (nowhere near all) of their stuff back in the day, but it hasn't stood the test of time. At least to my ears, anyway.

I have had this thought too..

I definitely listen to them a lot less... and I think some of it has aged very poorly or has been beaten to death so much I can't take it... then again, Sandinista which has not been beaten to death and is rather experimental at times I can still listen to.. but if I hear I fought the law or Should I stay or should i go again i'll run for the hills...