Author Topic: Goo Goo Dolls  (Read 7694 times)

Re: Goo Goo Dolls
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 05:50:00 pm »
I think that in the case of the Goo Goo Dolls, they did sellout. They changed their sound significantly, sanding down any edginess they once had, in hopes of reaching a wider market.

Hey, I could be totally wrong. I mostly listened to alt-country and classic country in the 90's.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 05:52:00 pm »
There are still good bands that make good music and are still on the radio...sellouts or not. The Goo Goo Dolls don't make good music, though...but that's just my opinion.
(_|_)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 11:01:00 pm »
i'm sick of all these people coming on here and labeling the people on here as rockists and elitists

jetelo -- this board is not nearly as "cool" as you think it is, the average regular here is in their 30s (or older) and gets their music through "filters" like nationally distributed magazines or relatively popular websites ... if you want to see a real group of music elitists then there are plenty of other places to go

this may actually be the most "uncool" group of people who have good taste in music that i've seen, and that's definitely a compliment

all this said, the goo goo dolls suck balls.  sorry.
(o|o)

aniym

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 02:47:00 am »
I really don't care if they did sell out. I grew up listening to Dizzy Up the Girl and Gutterflower, and even though the latter got shelved pretty soon, they  still bring back great memories. My tastes are completely different now (http://www.last.fm/user/aniym/), but I'd still pay to see them live. And tonight, I wasn't disappointed one bit.

Reod Dai

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 04:12:00 am »
The Goos definitely didn't sell out.  They evolved, like all bands do.  Personally, I think Johnny is a really great guy, and a talented and hardworking artist.

I spent the latter half of the nineties listening to alternative rock radio, so I've hung on to a lot of bands from that period.  Seeing Soul Asylum at the club last St. Patty's Day was a dream come true for me, for example, not to mention the Gin Blossoms at the State Theatre.  So you can understand why I'm still a fan of the Goo Goo Dolls even though their last couple albums haven't been all that great.  They've put on an amazing show every time I've seen them, including one of the best encores I've ever seen (Merriweather, '99).

That said, I had a lot of fun at tonight's show.  The lack of "Long Way Down" (both nights, apparently) bummed me a bit, but that's okay.

And this board is a lot more elitist than you might think.  And I don't really mean that in a bad way.  You've got to realize that the vast majority of people out there get most of their music from the radio.  Most of the people who know me don't even talk to me about music anymore, because they've never heard of any of the bands to which I listen.  Someone was looking at part of my CD collection recently and recognized one artist out of over a hundred.  I'm only mentioning this because I imagine it's rather typical of many of the folks on here.  Perhaps I'm wrong, and the world I live in is just way more sheltered or something.  But anyway, the people on this board go crazy (myself included) over bands most people have never heard of.  And pretty much any "major" band that comes to the club or even the area is treated like a joke and gets almost no serious attention.  Yes, there are a lot of people out there far more elitist than those on here.  But compared to casual music fans who only listen to the radio (the vast majority of people in my experience), this place is definitely atypical.

Like I said, I'm not really saying it's a bad thing, at least not most of the time.  But it does get annoying when people who actually like a "major" band once in a while are treated like outcasts from some hip club.

jetelo

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 08:49:00 am »
Hoya, I don't think this board is "cool", and certainly did not portray that in my message.  Actually, quite the opposite.  I am not a Goo Goo Dolls fan, don't like or dislike them.  They were merely an example I used to illustrate how people are on this board.  Of course with them, it took 10 years for them to come back to the 9:30 Club.

TheREALHunter

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 09:06:00 am »
I have to agree with Rhett on this one as far as them changing the direction of their material (and not for the better), I liked 'em in the late 80's/early 90's when they were sort of a sloppy poor mans Replacements with a sense of humor and even when they tightened it up a bit (their cover of "Bitch" with Lance Diamond was one of the only highlights of the "No Alternative" CD).  But I can still remember working my shitty record store job and getting an advance of "A Boy Named Goo", hearing "Long Way Down" and immediately thinking that someone at Warners got it mixed up with a shitty Eddie Money CD, then I heard "Name" and realized that it was over.  At least that song and some other shitty tepid ones that they've released in the meantime have brought them some success, it would be pretty sad to have released music that bad to no acclaim.