Author Topic: L'Shana Tova  (Read 10100 times)

Re: L'Shana Tova
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2005, 11:53:00 am »
Speaking of racial issues, there was an article in the Express today entitled, "Changing Face of Baseball".

It basically lamented the fact that only 9% of baseball players were African-American, and several teams (Astros included) don't have a single African-American on the team. This represents a significant decline from past numbers.

Responding to this, Commissioner Bud Selig responded, "We know that we have work to do, we'll continue to intensify our efforts."

What I want to know is when is David Stern going to intensify the efforts to bring more white players into the NBA? After all, the number of white players in the NBA has decline since the 1960's. Does encouraging Eastern European players to join the NBA count?

What exactly could Selig do to intensify the efforts to bring more Blacks into MLB at the playing level, and from a moral/ethical standpoint, why should he?

« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2005, 10:24:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
 people identify as "jewish" on mulitple levels ...

nationalist: zionist, supporter of the israeli state, a feeling that all jews belong to the same common nation (different from a state, of course)

ethnic: food, culture, etc ... many american jews are eastern european, have yiddish backgrounds

religious:  uh, the bible and all that stuff

but the key is that you can self-identify as "jewish" without being religious at all
But what is meant by the phrase, "...typical Jewish parents"?  I'm not altogether sure I savvy that...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2005, 11:35:00 am »
Originally posted by Ellis D. Fleischbach:
 But what is meant by the phrase, "...typical Jewish parents"?  I'm not altogether sure I savvy that...
well, the traditional stereotype of a jewish mother is domineering, neurotic over-involvement with their children, etc ... much like the traditional stereotype of a jewish teenage girl is a bratty and spoiled Jewish American Princess

like other minorities, jews often joke with each other about these stereotypes ... but, as you've learned from seinfeld, you can't convert just to make the jokes

any other questions re: the chosen people?
(o|o)

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
 well, the traditional stereotype of a jewish mother is domineering, neurotic over-involvement with their children, etc ...

any other questions re: the chosen people?
Then this can have negative connotations, like in that Peter Sellers -bio movie?  In other words, 'Jewish parents' can be a liability, as well as being an asset???  Or is it usually meant to be mildly disparaging?  I had always thought it had something to do with chicken soup...

And what about Kyle's mother on South Park?

---
 Ton's of questions, BTW.