Author Topic: "Pinkerton" albums.  (Read 10732 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: "Pinkerton" albums.
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 07:03:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:

Originally posted by Hoya Paranoia:
  i'm not a huge pavement fanatic, but is "kennel district" highly regarded by pavement nut-jobs?  if not, it should be
it's pretty widely regarded as spiral's finest moment, but still, it's spiral and not malkmus. [/b]
thanks
(o|o)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2008, 10:54:00 pm »
sonic youth - "nyc ghosts & flowers"
(_|_)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2008, 11:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:
No offense, good sir, but I was under the impression that everyone still thought this was one of their weakest releases.

Driveway

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2008, 01:53:00 pm »
nada surf - let go

PigIron

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2008, 02:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by bearman:
  The Bends by Radiohead got panned by critics I think, and I'm not sure if fans really loved it initially. Now some people argue that it's even better than OK Computer.
I remember hearing that long after it was released (maybe even after OK Computer)and thinking that it was pretty good, although I don't remember what critics said.  

The problem I had with getting to the second record was that the first one just seemed so horribly cliche-90s at the time.  It took a long time for me to figure out that Radiohead wasn't just another Nirvana-grunge ripoff.  I was so turned off by the first record that I became the last person around to see that they had actually become pretty good.

reggie

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2008, 10:37:00 pm »
After Willie Nelson recorded "Red Headed Stranger," all of his friends and family told him the record was shit and not to release it. And his label was pissed off because it wasn't 'conventional.'

30-something years later, and it's the best country record ever (in my opinion).

alex

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2008, 11:49:00 am »
Originally posted by Chip Chanko:
  Fleetwood Mac - Tusk?
Yes.

Relaxer

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2008, 12:20:00 pm »
Bowie's "Low" was not particularly well received or popular, but its stature has grown by leaps and bounds since then.

"Nevermind" was initially received by the music media as an okay-but-no-great-shakes album, until it blew up.

I keep waiting for a full-blown revival of Metal Machine Music love.
oword

bearman🐻

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »
I think "Raw Power" by Iggy and the Stooges qualifies. I don't think anyone even reviewed it (so technically it didn't get panned by critics), the few die-hard fans didn't think it held up to the first 2 records, and it ended up in a cutout bin. Now it's pretty well-respected. It's actually my favorite Stooges LP.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »
question: does anyone think "The Weirdness" will ever qualify for this thread?  it certainly has the first half of the requirements down pat.
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  question: does anyone think "The Weirdness" will ever qualify for this thread?  it certainly has the first half of the requirements down pat.
that one immediately came to mind, but I feel like it was hyped up before anyone heard it (especially when it was revealed that Albini was producing), and then once it was out, it received a universal 'feh'
oword

nkotb

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »
I still don't think it's that brutally awful.  I mean, I'd probably listen to it once for every 4,000 times I'd listen to any of the other 3 albums, but still, it's not like it's unlistenable.

I think it's more of a by-product of the hype, like Relaxer said.  (Albini + Iggy + Stooges) x 30 years = Letdown City, no matter what the disc sounded like.

Originally posted by Relaxer:
 that one immediately came to mind, but I feel like it was hyped up before anyone heard it (especially when it was revealed that Albini was producing), and then once it was out, it received a universal 'feh'

thirsty moore

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2008, 12:08:00 am »
Sorry man.  I love the shit out of this band but this album isn't their strongest effort.

Originally posted by wanderlust j. marshmallow:

bearman🐻

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 11:59:00 am »
That was definitely a low point for Sonic Youth. I wasn't really into "A Thousand Leaves" either. Their last few records have been a very positive step in the right direction though. I love "Murray Street" and "Rather Ripped".