Author Topic: political music  (Read 4212 times)

zjphillips

political music
« on: September 28, 2004, 11:20:00 am »
i know a lot of good political songs, but does anyone know of a cool remix/reworking/cover of a traditional political song, like the star-spangled banner or america the beautiful, or whatever?

something uptempo, with drum machines maybe?

just wondering. cheers.

thirsty moore

Re: political music
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 11:32:00 am »
I think Whitney Houston has a version of either The Star Spangled Banner or America the Beautiful out there.  If it's on a single, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a remix.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 11:34:00 am »
there's always marvin gaye's version of the star spangled banner from the 1982(?) nba all-star game.  i also like the version by the red house painters, but a slow, nearly 3 minute version probably isn't what you are looking for.   :)

as for america the beautiful, you begin and end with ray charles' version. . .no version can compare with that.
OU812

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 11:35:00 am »
Maybe you should look for British political songs.  They'll dance to anything over there.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 11:37:00 am »
Originally posted by econo:
  Maybe you should look for British political songs.  They'll dance to anything over there.
plus, anyone whos that good on a drum machine, is from Canada or Europe anyway, so they arent making SSB remixes

zjphillips

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 12:52:00 am »
thanks, people. i'm looking for something with a beat to it. to play my cards: my improv troupe is doing an election show and we need something rocking, but thematic, to come on stage to. (my suggestion - sleater kinney's "step aside" - was rejected.)

(fyi, the show should be awesome. you'll start to see posters around town... http://www.dcwit.com/shows/potus.htm )

anything? some dj had to have done something with a traditional marching tune, right?

thirsty moore

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 09:28:00 am »
Eastern European Turbo Folk.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 09:54:00 am »
Star Spangled Banner by Hendrix....woodstock I think.  Doesn't have much of a beat though.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 10:49:00 am »
ggw -- you did that?  That is very cool!
_\|/_