Author Topic: senators part 3  (Read 8836 times)

Ikarus

senators part 3
« on: September 29, 2004, 04:07:00 am »
sez it all

heres to seeing barry bonds knock a couple out of RFK next year.

keithstg

Re: senators part 3
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 08:28:00 am »
Originally posted by Ikarus:
  sez it all

heres to seeing barry bonds knock a couple out of RFK next year.
Well, it's about time. I hope that if Selig is at the news conference someone asks him why he didn't just get this done three years ago...

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 08:44:00 am »
Now I can go see a ball game again.  I boycotted the O's  few years ago cuz Angelos was being such an ass about this - and I enjoyed going up to the yard a few times a year.  My mom's a baseball nut and we used to go all the time.

Now she says she's gonna get season tix (at least a block of games) for the new team.

Too bad Angelos couldn't have done this with more of a smile.  It's not like he's getting blindsided here...when he bought the team his "territory" was very clearly defined and did not include DC, Montgomery, PG, or NOVA.  Too bad MLB has to line his pockets to make this happen without getting sued.

Random Citizen

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 08:45:00 am »
Office sick days will increase next Spring.  :D

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 08:52:00 am »
great more traffic   :roll:
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 09:17:00 am »
I have already had a friend ask if I want to go in on season tickets, I would be more inclined if the divisions played each other a bit more often so I could see the Cardinals more but it is great that we are getting a team.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2004, 09:21:00 am »
Woohoo! We get a team with fatass Tony Batista as the star.

I will remain an O's fan, and only go to Expos games if the opposing team/pitcher is of interest.

BookerT

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 09:28:00 am »
tony bats is a free agent. he and his sub-.300 OBP won't be back. they'll be turning over the 3b reigns to brendan harris, who they picked up from the cubs as part of that massive no-mah deal. the expos have a few good players (brad wilkerson, jose vidro if he can keep his knees in shape, livan hernandez), but they unfortunately traded lots of their best prospects to cleveland a couple years ago in an ill-advised deal to get bartolo colon when there was a very real chance that they were going to be contracted.

in any case, national league baseball rules, i'll be going to double digit games for sure. and the 'spos have always been just about the best in developing talent (larry walker, vlad, pedro, etc.), just too damn poor to ever keep any of 'em.

ratioci nation

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 09:31:00 am »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  in any case, national league baseball rules, i'll be going to double digit games for sure. and the 'spos have always been just about the best in developing talent (larry walker, vlad, pedro, etc.), just too damn poor to ever keep any of 'em.
unfortunately their farm system is pretty empty right now, but I think they will be fine in a couple of years, and yes, national league baseball does indeed rule

hitman

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004, 09:54:00 am »
did anyone see the quote by Mazilli in the Sun from this past weekend (I think)?  He stated that if DC gets a team, that he feels the O's should go to the National League, similar to the Brewers.  This way there would be an automatic rivalry with DC, and probably Philly, and there probably wouldn't be as much of an economic hit to the O's.  I'm paraphrasing here, but that is the basics.  What do people think about that?

Venerable Bede

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2004, 10:21:00 am »
yeah, gonna get a 21 game block of tickets for this now.  and a 15-20 minute walk to the game from my house to boot.  i wish that minaya was gonna stay on as gm though.

as for switching balmer to nl. . .i doubt that the o's could absorb the loss of revenue from yankees and red sox fans, at least for now.
OU812

keithstg

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2004, 10:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

I will remain an O's fan, and only go to Expos games if the opposing team/pitcher is of interest.
As opposed to what - a team with fatasses Rafael Palmiero and Sidney Ponson, and a farm system rife with prospects having arm surgery?
 That, and it's in Baltimore. No thanks. I'm done rewarding Angelos for his blatant disregard for quality baseball, and will be getting a full ticket plan... as a former O's season ticket holder, this is the best news ever.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2004, 10:47:00 am »
Miguel Tejada, Jerry Hairston, Melvin Mora, David Newhan, Rodrigo Lopez, Javy Lopez, BJ Ryan...all infinitely better and more watchable than anybody the Expos can offer. Plus, with Segui, Palmeiro, Cordova, Daal, Groom, and Gibbons all coming off the payroll, the O's are going to be loaded with $$ to restock the team.

Originally posted by keithstg:

As opposed to what - a team with fatasses Rafael and Sidney Ponson, and a farm system rife with prospects having arm surgery?
 That, and it's in Baltimore. No thanks. I'm done rewarding Angelos for his blatant disregard for quality baseball, and will be getting a full ticket plan... as a former O's season ticket holder, this is the best news ever. [/b]

keithstg

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2004, 10:51:00 am »
  Miguel Tejada, Jerry Hairston, Melvin Mora, David Newhan, Rodrigo Lopez, Javy Lopez, BJ Ryan...all infinitely better and more watchable than anybody the Expos can offer. Plus, with Segui, Palmeiro, Cordova, Daal, Groom, and Gibbons all coming off the payroll, the O's are going to be loaded with $$ to restock the team.

Originally posted by keithstg:

As opposed to what - a team with fatasses Rafael and Sidney Ponson, and a farm system rife with prospects having arm surgery?
 That, and it's in Baltimore. No thanks. I'm done rewarding Angelos for his blatant disregard for quality baseball, and will be getting a full ticket plan... as a former O's season ticket holder, this is the best news ever. [/b]
[/b]
I give you Tejada and Mora. However Vidro and Livan Hernandez are fun to watch. Javy Lopez is a 36 year old catcher - how long is that going to last. Rodrigo Lopez is a mediocre number three starter... We can have this argument again like we did in the pre-season if you want to, and I'll be correct again.

Barring a major farm system overhall (which may be underway - the O's director of scouting was fired this week) and significant free agent aquisitions, the O's will struggle to .500 in the AL East. They need a 3 -5 year plan in place.

saco

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
Originally posted by hitman:
  did anyone see the quote by Mazilli in the Sun from this past weekend (I think)?  He stated that if DC gets a team, that he feels the O's should go to the National League, similar to the Brewers.  This way there would be an automatic rivalry with DC, and probably Philly, and there probably wouldn't be as much of an economic hit to the O's.  I'm paraphrasing here, but that is the basics.  What do people think about that?
No!  They'll be the rivalry when they play interleague games, but with the O's in the AL, we get to see all 30 teams at one park or the other now.