Author Topic: Frankensteins monster vs Someone who is not very clever  (Read 55944 times)

Arthwys

Re: Frankensteins monster vs Someone who is not very clever
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2004, 09:07:00 am »
An idea I had last night while watching and just remembered this morning is....even if only a few Poles have died in Iraq, what percent of their population is it?  Would it be anywhere close to the percent of our population that has died?  I think i'm gonna do a bit of research on this....
Emrys

sonickteam2

« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2004, 09:07:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  in case anyone was wondering, we can't send mixed messages, and kerry said the war was the wrong war, wrong time, wrong place. amazing that dub still flubs saying the two same things over and over.

i guess i should vote for kerry no matter how big of a douche he is because he's closer in political ideology to me.
you forgot about the "good people doing hard work"   :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2004, 09:10:00 am »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:

I'm surprised that neither used the, "Riddle me this..." tagline from Batman.  It would've been a surefire stinger.
hahaha.  that would have made the whole debate. lol   :D    :D    :D

Random Citizen

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2004, 09:12:00 am »
Originally posted by Arthwys:
  An idea I had last night while watching and just remembered this morning is....even if only a few Poles have died in Iraq, what percent of their population is it?  Would it be anywhere close to the percent of our population that has died?  I think i'm gonna do a bit of research on this....
Thirteen members of the Polish troops have died since May 2003. Source: Brookings Institution Iraq Index, page 6

The population of Poland is approximately 39 million. Source: CIA

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2004, 09:15:00 am »
13 casualties - not sure of deaths (http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/forces/casualties/ - click graphical breakdown)

2,600 troops (http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1163780/posts)

38,626,349 population (http://www.indexmundi.com/poland/population.html)

Arthwys

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2004, 09:25:00 am »
Well, i checked on Bulgaria since that seemed like it would be the one that has the most deaths w/ smallest population.  They have had 6 deaths.  With a population of 7,517,973 according to CIA factbook online.  I figured we have 38.97 percent more people in the US.  So if they were as populous as we are, they should have 38.97 times more deaths than they do to be even with us, right?  That only brings them to 234 deaths.  Which actually isn't too far off, I expected it to be worse.  We've only had 1,195.  Damn, just realized how morbid all of this is, but at least it shows that other coutries are doing their bit even if it is still only about a quarter of the job we are doing.
Emrys

thirsty moore

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2004, 09:57:00 am »
I missed the debate last night because I spent the evening at the National Symphony Orchestra.  After a brief skim of this thread, I have to admit that those voting for Bush seem far more sure of why they're voting for him than those voting for Kerry.

ratioci nation

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2004, 10:04:00 am »
Originally posted by econo:
  I missed the debate last night because I spent the evening at the National Symphony Orchestra.  After a brief skim of this thread, I have to admit that those voting for Bush seem far more sure of why they're voting for him than those voting for Kerry.
I think most people who are voting for Kerry are fairly certain it is because he is not Bush.

And as Kerry told us, you can be certain and still be wrong.   :D

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2004, 10:07:00 am »
I believe we have way more than 38% more people than Bulgaria. An extra 38% would put us at about 11 million population.

Well, i checked on Bulgaria since that seemed like it would be the one that has the most deaths w/ smallest population.  They have had 6 deaths.  With a population of 7,517,973 according to CIA factbook online.  I figured we have 38.97 percent more people in the US.  So if they were as populous as we are, they should have 38.97 times more deaths than they do to be even with us, right?  That only brings them to 234 deaths.  Which actually isn't too far off, I expected it to be worse.  We've only had 1,195.  Damn, just realized how morbid all of this is, but at least it shows that other coutries are doing their bit even if it is still only about a quarter of the job we are doing.

ggw

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2004, 10:16:00 am »
Originally posted by hitman:
 People want all the shit the govt. does for free.  Everyone needs to shut the fuck up and just pay the damn taxes!
While it is politically convenient to paint anyone that wants lower taxes as a simple greedy whore, it masks the larger issues.  Not everyone wants "all the shit govt. does."  

I don't want the government running my healthcare.  I don't want them in my retirement savings.  I don't want them paying billions in sugar subsidies, or corn subsidies, or funding an emergency wool and mohair program in case there is an interruption of imported fabric.  I think we could all find dozens of things the government does that none of us want or need.  

The government shouldn't be doing those things that people could better do for themselves.  Not only for financial reasons, but also because an increasing reliance on government ultimately undermines true community, where people should be looking out for their common good among themselves.

grotty

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2004, 10:23:00 am »
Originally posted by econo:
   After a brief skim of this thread, I have to admit that those voting for Bush far more sure of why their voting for him than those voting for Kerry.
I don't know about that. The only good answer I've ever been given when asking someone why they'll vote for Bush is that he's better than the alternative - it's like they are pre-destined to vote Repub.

Which I find very alarming and frightening, especially after watching that debate last night. You can read all the transcripts you want - but you really need to watch it to see the delivery. Maybe it's just me, but Bush appears to be among the most incompetent public figures I have ever witnessed. I know 15 year olds that would appear more intelligent, polished & competent. He stammers, he avoids direct questions and reverts to soundbites only, he nearly loses his thoughts, he says childish things. He never once laid out EVEN one concrete plan for how he is going to fix Iraq last night. Even though Kerry repeatedly did so.

Bush is so obviously just a puppet for the rest of the Repub party (though how they settled for him is still befuddling). I actually wondered last night if Bush didn't have some type of secret agent transmitter planted deeply into his ear - he'd stare into the camera for an uncomfortable amount of time - and then blurt something out.

The danger as I see it is - that most people probably believe like I did that the President really has little actual power. He's a figurehead. But this latest excursion to Iraq has shown that there still are areas in which the President can and does exert tremendous influence and has very small control placed upon him. It really is amazing that a President has a harder time determining how to spend our tax dollars than he does ending American soldier's lives. Knowing that, how can anyone actually vote for a "dummy"?

His answers at times last night, showed exactly how he views this war. He thinks its a game. How else to explain something this flip to explain why it's taking longer than planned to exit Iraq:

"because we achieved such a rapid victory, more of the Saddam loyalists were around. I mean, we thought we'd whip more of them going in."

I'm getting angry again just typing it.    :D  

I don't mean to offend anyone who feels differently - and I know there are many. I just feel SO stongly about this & it gets me riled up much more than normal.

Tallking about music is better fun.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2004, 10:51:00 am »
Originally posted by grotty:

He never once laid out EVEN one concrete plan for how he is going to fix Iraq last night. Even though Kerry repeatedly did so.

kerry did?  other than holding a conference with "other nations," what did he say?  oh, hold a conference, get nations together, and ask them for help.  oooh.  i really wonder how many nations will indeed help, just because someone new is in there, especially when you have certain governments that have already stated their opposition to any involvement in iraq.  course, their help will be on their terms. . .

having said that. . .kerry did a better job than bush in the debate, but i do not agree with his policies and will not vote for him.
OU812

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2004, 10:53:00 am »
I find it hard to believe there are Republicans who are actually into indie rock.

markie

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2004, 10:54:00 am »
Kerry said that he will let the Iraquis know he plans on leaving ASAP and that he wont leave behind 14 military bases.

So that would be a clear difference.

markie

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2004, 10:55:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I find it hard to believe there are Republicans.
Right now I think you could have left it at that.