Author Topic: 9:30 Club Atmosphere  (Read 21356 times)

RainBoots

9:30 Club Atmosphere
« on: February 23, 2004, 08:35:00 pm »
I've heard that sometimes lots of people at the club are exceedingly drunk. I'm going to the club for the first time this week and I've like to know what to expect. Does anyone have any comments on how the crowds are and what the atmosphere is like in general?  ;)

Celeste

Re: 9:30 Club Atmosphere
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 08:40:00 pm »
I have not found that to be true. Every once and a while there are drunk assholes, but most people behave themselves.

RainBoots

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 08:47:00 pm »
Thanks! I was just a little worried about that, since that's usually the sterotype of what a night club is like.

I can't wait though! I'm going to the Walkmen on on Thursday night! WOOHOO!

Bags

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 09:01:00 pm »
For the occasional special show, it can be a tad rowdy -- like the Sex Pistols.  But generally it's an *exceedingly* well-behaved crowd.  And even rowdy at the 9:30 Club isn't rowdy the way you may think of it...

Or, maybe I just go to well-behaved shows.  But the Walkmen will be fine...heck, we'll be lucky of 10% of the crowd even bobs their heads along to the music.  

Just look out for the occasional crazed Brit.

distance

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 09:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by Harriet Balls:
  I have not found that to be true. Every once and a while there are drunk assholes, but most people behave themselves.
i alway seem to end up standing around drunk assholes.  this isn't limited to the 930 club, though.  it seems to be the case at basically every show i go to.

RainBoots

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 09:19:00 pm »
Hehe, thanks so much peoples!

My friend was exaggerated MAJORLY and it just got to be a bit much, so I decided to get some more opinions.

By the way, how many concerts at the 9:30 club have you gone to as of today?

walkman

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 09:29:00 pm »
If you see a tottering british bloke and his attractive scottish wife...run.

andyrichter

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 09:34:00 pm »
i've been to about 20 shows.  no need to worry rainboots, the crowds at 930 (and i'd say d.c. in general) are nice and well behaved.  you'll see a lot of the cross-your-arms-across your chest act.  and its not like drunken guys are going around picking fights and molesting girls or anything like that.  the rowdiest it gets is when you get a pit in the front and even then, i've seen secruity guys in the pit making sure things don't get out of hand.  but i'm guessing your show won't have a pit?   :)    you'll have a great time at 930.  it doesn't get voted best club in the nation for 3 or how ever many years straight for nothing.

walkman

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 09:35:00 pm »
yeah no pit for the walkmen...Bags is right on with the 10% head nod comment.

Fiona

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 09:51:00 pm »
I have found the crowds at the 9:30 club for the most part to be polite and well-behaved, and not excessively drunk. Most people come to hear the bands not go crazy. Of course, they are some harder heavier bands that may attract a rowdier audience, but if you have a more mellow taste in music it probably won't be a problem. The 9:30 club is more like a concert hall than a stereotypical nightclub. I have found crowds at the dj dance clubs that go on later into the night  to much rowdier and more into the crazy alcohol drug, and hitting on people behavior than the audiences at the 9:30 Club. The 9:30 club crowd is more about enjoying the music.

Bags

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 10:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by RainBoots:
  By the way, how many concerts at the 9:30 club have you gone to as of today?
My best guess is 125-150, which includes the old 9:30 Club on F Street.  

And,  just to ease your mind, at the new club, even rowdy bands don't have crowds that get out of control.  The staff is incredibly effective and amazingly 'stealth' in their crowd containment abilities.

markie

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2004, 11:51:00 pm »
Hot Scottish woman? Isn't that some sort of oxymoron?

If you are going to the Walkmen, make sure you turn up in time to see the rather excellent support act, the national.

ggw

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2004, 11:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by mark e smith:
 If you are going to the Walkmen, make sure you turn up in time to see the rather excellent support act, the national.
And Weird War as well.

Do you think Ian Svenonius eats Nachos of Ulysses?

poorlulu

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 12:57:00 am »
Originally posted by walkie hearts you all:
  If you see a tottering british bloke and his attractive scottish wife...run.
awwww walkie........

i heart you too..............paige please don't hurt me........unless it's in a good way  ;)

poorlulu

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2004, 01:02:00 am »
and most shows at 930 have very well behaved crowds.......too well behaved sometimes....