Author Topic: WHFS is now......a salsa channel?  (Read 57107 times)

Random Citizen

Re: WHFS is now......a salsa channel?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2005, 02:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  All this ensures is that artists like The White Stripes will never even have the slightest chance of breaking on the radio as the number of outlets is shirking.  Rock, Alternative, Classic Rock Radio stations just become even narrowier in thier  programming.
Exactly, it's just forcing people like us to turn off their radios, save for the news stations, and go online. I was more bummed at WOXY going off the air for two months last year until they came back as an online-only outfit.

That said, I did have some good times listening to HFS when I was a kid...but that was a looong time ago.

Random Citizen

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2005, 02:25:00 pm »
Originally posted by bbbsmith:
  WhooHoo!  Now we may actually get tickets for shows instead of having to kiss the asses of the 99.1 screeners to even attempt to get tix to certain shows.
Since HFS and DC101's playlists have been pretty similar in recent years, expect them to pick up the slack.  :p

markie

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2005, 02:25:00 pm »
No more hfstival......

How will I ever get to see Good Charlotte ever again?

joz

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2005, 02:27:00 pm »
the "alternative" audience the HFS targeted, albeit not recently, are now listening to better music on their iPods and/or XM whilst driving in the car...commercial radio is no longer a smart ad market for the Gen X'ers.  another death knell for the corporate scum commercial radio monopoly. personally, i'm glad someone finally shot HFS like the lame mule it was.

vansmack

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2005, 02:31:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:
   another death knell for the corporate scum commercial radio monopoly. personally, i'm glad someone finally shot HFS like the lame mule it was.
It's not like they brought you a happy alternative.  Corporate simply thought they could make more money with a spanish channel.  This is no victory - not by a long shot.
27>34

andyrichter

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2005, 02:33:00 pm »
Originally posted by Winterie Markie:
  No more hfstival......

How will I ever get to see Good Charlotte ever again?
I think the bigger question is, will Good Charlotte ever be able to give a shout out to WHFS again at their concerts?

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2005, 02:34:00 pm »
I'd choose to listen to salsa music over what WHFS was playing in a heartbeat.

Originally posted by vansmack:

another death knell for the corporate scum commercial radio monopoly. personally, i'm glad someone finally shot HFS like the lame mule it was.
It's not like they brought you a happy alternative.  Corporate simply thought they could make more money with a spanish channel.  This is no victory - not by a long shot. [/b]

markie

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2005, 02:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by andyrichter:
  ]I think the bigger question is, will Good Charlotte ever be able to give a shout out to WHFS again at their concerts?
If you listen carefully I am sure in the future at least one time they will thank WHF...(um ummm)....101.

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2005, 02:36:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

Congratulations, but I'm still quite sure that you didn't your top choice (or even anything in the top 5), now did you?
27>34

joz

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2005, 02:45:00 pm »

It's not like they brought you a happy alternative.  Corporate simply thought they could make more money with a spanish channel.  This is no victory - not by a long shot. [/b]
preparing for flamage...

i don't think iPOD/XM has really targeted the latino population with their marketing...once they do, maybe they will wise up too and stop listening to the drivel on commercial radio.  furthermore, a lot of latinos are not in the financial position to buy pricey MP3 players (not to mention the computers that go with them) and XM satellite radios. that, of course, is the unfortunate repercussion of being amongst the undereducated and underpaid in america (different topic altogether so we'll stop there).

certainly the number of kitchens in dc restaurants blasting the new salsa channel is music to the corporate scum's ears.  i know it may be a generalization but there's a captive audience there.  some of my friends are chefs and have been working in dc for years...the radio stations of choice in dc kitchens are latino. case in point.

ratioci nation

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2005, 02:48:00 pm »
  preparing for flamage...

i don't think iPOD/XM has really targeted the latino population with their marketing...once they do, maybe they will wise up too and stop listening to the drivel on commercial radio.  furthermore, a lot of latinos are not in the financial position to buy pricey MP3 players (not to mention the computers that go with them) and XM satellite radios. that, of course, is the unfortunate repercussion of being amongst the undereducated and underpaid in america (different topic altogether so we'll stop there).

certainly the number of kitchens in dc restaurants blasting the new salsa channel is music to the corporate scum's ears.  i know it may be a generalization but there's a captive audience there.  some of my friend's are chefs and have been working in dc for years...the radio stations of choice in dc kitchens are latino. case in point.
so how is making money off somebody else "another death knell for the corporate scum commercial radio monopoly?"

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2005, 02:50:00 pm »
wonder what will happen to the format of the smaller  spanish stations in the area.  i'm thinking a smartly programmed station of the best 80s, 90s and OCs to appeal to thoes GenXers seeking a break from thier iPods  :)
T.Rex

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2005, 02:51:00 pm »
Either my reading comprehension sucks, or your English sucks.

Don't fret, there will still be stations to hear U2 and Gwen Stefani when you visit DC.

Originally posted by Rhett Miller:

Congratulations, but I'm still quite sure that you didn't your top choice (or even anything in the top 5), now did you? [/b]

keithcu

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2005, 02:53:00 pm »
I still loved HFS -- warts and all, but the station is not the biggest loss.  I'll raise a glass tonight to the passing of the HFStival.  What the hell are we going to do on Memorial Day weekend now?

Dr. Anton Phibes

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2005, 02:54:00 pm »
Like a Rap-metal playing,rabies infested dog, it was time to put this station down......hasta la vista!