Author Topic: WHFS is now......a salsa channel?  (Read 57108 times)

Re: WHFS is now......a salsa channel?
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2005, 02:55:00 pm »
I'll be in either camping in Big Sur or hanging out in Santa Cruz.

Originally posted by keithcu:
  I still loved HFS -- warts and all, but the station is not the biggest loss.  I'll raise a glass tonight to the passing of the HFStival.  What the hell are we going to do on Memorial Day weekend now?

vansmack

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »
I think you missed my point, joz.

People are celebrating the end of HFS.  Great, you didn't approve of their music selection.  But it's not like they heard you and started playing music from your top 40 albums of 2004 and the music you were looking forward to hearing in 2005, let alone all of the great classics you wanted hear.  As Kosmo pointed out, it will be even harder for bands to make on the radio unless they speak spainsh - how is this a good thing?  Remember when Lollapallooza was cancelled in DC?  This isn't going to help that either.  If you think the DC music scene (most notably concerts) isn't going to suffer from this, then I'd be surprised.  This extends much further then the Linkin Park crap they were playing, because there were local shows, DJ sets in late hours, and even if it were one out of every 6 songs that was good - that's still better than nothing.  

Which say s nothing of a lack of competition for DC 101 to play whatever they feel like because there can be no ratings comparison any longer because there is no alternative.

I think you're all a little to over excited about this - they didn't give you what you wanted.
27>34

markie

« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2005, 02:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  I'll be in either camping in Big Sur or hanging out in Santa Cruz.

o much for the city
 Tell me that you'll dance to the end
 Just tell me that you'll dance to the end

Hey, hey you're the monkees
 People said you monkeyed around
 But nobody's listening now

Just don't go back to Big Sur
 Hangin' around, lettin' your old man down
 Baby baby please don't go

So much for the street lights
 They're never gonna guide you home
 No they're never gonna guide you home

Down at the steam boat show,
 All the kids start spittin'
 I guess it didn't live up to the billing.

Hangin' around, lettin' your old man down
 Baby baby please don't go

joz

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2005, 02:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by pollard:
  so how is making money off somebody else "another death knell for the corporate scum commercial radio monopoly?"
notice how often commercial radio stations are switching formats lately?  they're scrambling to find their niche as the rug is slowly being pulled from under them by the advent of personal mp3 players, streaming internet radio and satellite radio...how many people on this forum listen to radio stations in their car on a daily basis (with the exception of NPR-affiliated stations, C-SPAN, college radio)?  i'd be curious to know...i, for one, generally listen to the iPod, NPR or pop in a CD.

vansmack

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2005, 03:00:00 pm »
  Either my reading comprehension sucks, or your English sucks.
I left out an important word "get", but you could have figured that out with a little work:

Congratulations, but I'm still quite sure that you didn't get your top choice (or even anything in the top 5), now did you?
27>34

andyrichter

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2005, 03:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by keithcu:
  What the hell are we going to do on Memorial Day weekend now?
Nu metal kids and 10th graders everywhere across the D.C. area share your sentiment.  They'll have to spend time with their families from now on!    :eek:

ratioci nation

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2005, 03:08:00 pm »
Originally posted by joz:
 notice how often commercial radio stations are switching formats lately?  they're scrambling to find their niche as the rug is slowly being pulled from under them by the advent of personal mp3 players, streaming internet radio and satellite radio...how many people on this forum listen to radio stations in their car on a daily basis (with the exception of NPR-affiliated stations, C-SPAN, college radio)?  i'd be curious to know...i, for one, generally listen to the iPod, NPR or pop in a CD.
this forum is hardly the place to be looking for mainstream trends in music

have you noticed that the Hispanic population has been growing in the United States?

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2005, 03:09:00 pm »
What will happen to Weasel?

chaconas

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2005, 03:12:00 pm »
Weasel's been on 94.7 for a while now.

sonickteam2

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2005, 03:14:00 pm »
lol.  this is hilarious.

times are a changing and hopefully this will open a door for a new channel to grasp a new audience and change music and radio in Baltimore and DC for the better

chaconas

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2005, 03:16:00 pm »
speaking of 94.7, another Infinity-owned station - some time in 2003, if i recall the date correctly, they hinted on-air that they would be turning into a spanish music station the next day.  for that one day, a lot of their between-song segues were in spanish, and one of the dj's said something to the effect of "i know a lot of you are wondering what is going on, but all i can say is we're not really sure ourselves, but we may have details soon."  nothing changed, though.

vansmack

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2005, 03:17:00 pm »
  Don't fret, there will still be stations to hear U2 and Gwen Stefani when you visit DC.
And you will never get your Alt-Country radio station in DC, and that was exactly my point.
27>34

Sir HC

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2005, 03:18:00 pm »
Check out:

www.whfs.com

J'Mal

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2005, 03:19:00 pm »
Good riddance.  They were cool twelve years ago.

joz

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2005, 03:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:
  lol.  this is hilarious.

times are a changing and hopefully this will open a door for a new channel to grasp a new audience and change music and radio in Baltimore and DC for the better
let's try getting a decent college station in the area first...dc has a handful of universities and no decent college radio?  at least none that i can find on the dial. (and WAMU doesn't count!) the closest college radio station to even be mentionable is in harrisonburg, va. pathetic.