Author Topic: American Analog Set roll-call  (Read 7462 times)

Sir HC

American Analog Set roll-call
« on: December 15, 2003, 03:10:00 pm »
Anyone else planning to go to this one at the Black Cat?  Not Type-O Negative, but should be fun.  Album Leaf is opening (and someone called 302 Acid or Acid 302?).

ggw

Re: American Analog Set roll-call
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2003, 03:18:00 pm »
I should be there.  Probably on the late side.

I just saw 302 Acid open for somebody (Killing Joke, maybe?)  It's instrumental prog-rock with arty film on a screen behind them.  I actually found them to be somewhat enjoyable.  I'm not rushing out to pick up an album and I won't be bummed about missing them tonight, but it was an entertaining set.

I don't know anything about Album Leaf so I'm going to try to get there in time to catch their set.

Sir HC

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2003, 03:25:00 pm »
Album Leaf opened for Sigur Ros at the 9:30 this spring/winter.  Kind of ambient, don't remember vocals, friend really dug them and bought their CDs.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2003, 04:58:00 pm »
there's a good chance that i'll be at the show tonight.
OU812

Dandy01

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 05:32:00 pm »
I had to double check but 302 Acid on is my friend's label who is a member of (The Sounds of) Kaleidoscope.  More info at: www.hackshoprecords.com

Sir HC

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 05:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  I should be there.  Probably on the late side.

I just saw 302 Acid open for somebody (Killing Joke, maybe?)  It's instrumental prog-rock with arty film on a screen behind them.  I actually found them to be somewhat enjoyable.  I'm not rushing out to pick up an album and I won't be bummed about missing them tonight, but it was an entertaining set.

I don't know anything about Album Leaf so I'm going to try to get there in time to catch their set.
I will try to remember to bring the Superdrag CD to the show.

ggw

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 05:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
 I will try to remember to bring the Superdrag CD to the show.
Excellent.  I think I've got one for you too.  I'll try to dig it out.

walkman

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 07:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sir HC:
  Album Leaf opened for Sigur Ros at the 9:30 this spring/winter.  Kind of ambient, don't remember vocals, friend really dug them and bought their CDs.
I have to admit I found them pretty intolerable.  Ambient wheezes and "subtle" (read "boring") noodling.  One of the sleepier opening acts I've seen...but they may have changed their game since...

paige

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 08:02:00 pm »
Originally posted by walkie hearts you all:
  I have to admit I found them pretty intolerable.  Ambient wheezes and "subtle" (read "boring") noodling.  One of the sleepier opening acts I've seen...but they may have changed their game since...
they're more of a nap-time, rainy day band... granted the entire sigur ros show was fookin amazing, but the album leaf was a bit somnolent. however, if you're sitting on a nice comfy couch and listening to them, they're quite lovely.

walkman

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003, 10:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by i do not heart winter:

Originally posted by walkie hearts you all:
they're more of a nap-time, rainy day band... granted the entire sigur ros show was fookin amazing, but the album leaf was a bit somnolent. however, if you're sitting on a nice comfy couch and listening to them, they're quite lovely. [/b]
I was so blown away by Sigur Ros, that I may be selling The Album Leaf short...hard to give the opening act much credit with a headliner so talented.

Jaguär

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2003, 01:32:00 am »
Be careful judging the Album Leaf by seeing them opening for Sigur Rós as some of the members from Sigur Rós played with them but aren't part of the band. Personally, I found them much better live than what I think of their recorded works. They are laid back and very cerebral but good live. Their recorded works bore me too much. Don't know how they will come off now without help from the keyboards and drums of the Sigur Rós members. I can only assume that it won't be as full sounding.

Both of the opening bands are very appropriate for American Analog Set. I can't remember either who 302 Acid opened for but it was a good while ago. Not bad but boring after about 3 songs.

ggw

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2003, 11:42:00 am »
Maybe it was because it was a Monday night show, but it was reallllyy mellllllow.  Like trance-inducing mellow.  The crowd thinned visibly as AmAnSet played.  Still really good though.

Gay Dave was there.  Was he doing an interview?

Good to talk to Sir HC.  I'll bring the Superdrag show on Monday.

ratioci nation

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2003, 11:59:00 am »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
 Gay Dave was there.  Was he doing an interview?

no, he was just at the show

Mongo

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2003, 01:07:00 pm »
Went last night pretty much to see The Album Leaf.  Hell, why not.  After seeing them a few times their music kinda grew on me.  It's nothing too moving but I was impressed with their sound and simple melodies.

Sir HC

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2003, 05:06:00 pm »
Thought it was a great show.  Really liked 302 Acid, their videos unlike most groups are mixed on the fly.  One of their members only does the on stage videos.  They had a CD for sale, actually an MPEG that has their songs with videos to go with them.  For their music it has to be this way.  Remind me of Towers of Dub era The Orb.

The Album Leaf was more electronic and heavier than when they were opening for Sigur Ros.  Did a good job, they have a drummer who was good enough for their stuff agumented by a drum machine.  They also had videos but pre-made for the songs and not  as engaging (leaves and birds were the themes for most of them).  Still a solid set.

AmAnSet, I am biased so to say it was really good means little.  Still they were really good.  Did a longer set than other times I have seen them, had several songs that I didn't recognize (they said they were new).  Talked to the main guy before the show, he said they are staying together (YAY!) and doing shorter tours of 3 or so weeks as opposed to 3 month jaunts.  They are also skipping every other city on each tour so next time it will be Baltimore.  Very nice guy, no rock star persona here.

Got home a 2:45 am, but was worth it.