Author Topic: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's  (Read 35194 times)

"abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« on: May 06, 2004, 03:51:00 pm »
Anybody have any comments on this?

redsock

Re: "abuses" of Iraqi POW's
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 04:00:00 pm »
Sure, one more shitty cover-up by this administration that, ultimately, will likely not be enough to get themm thrown out of White House. I wonder what it will really take?

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 04:05:00 pm »
But what exactly is so horrible about making a prisoner wear ladies underwear while having sex in front of him. Are these REALLY abuses?

Celeste

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 04:16:00 pm »
obviously I think it's wrong to humiliate and abuse people, but I think this case has been blown WAY out of proportion

paige

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 04:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Sacktastic Bag O' Nuts:
  But what exactly is so horrible about making a prisoner wear ladies underwear while having sex in front of him. Are these REALLY abuses?
it's what markie does in his free time   :p

Shadrach

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 04:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Sure, one more shitty cover-up by this administration that, ultimately, will likely not be enough to get themm thrown out of White House. I wonder what it will really take?
Where's the cover up? No one at the White House is denying that it happened. In fact they are outraged, as they should be. It's not like Bush or his advisors are over there taking shifts as prison guards. I can think of plenty of reasons to hate Bush, but this one needs to fall directly on the shoulders of those U.S. Military personnel involved

Personally I think it's an outrage what has gone on. Prisoners of war have certain rights under the Geneva Convention to be treated humanely and those scumbags violated their rights as human beings. How many times have Americans cried out for justice because of the way other countries treat their P.O.W.â??s? It's just another example of Americans thinking we are above everyone else and above justice. I hope all those involved have to serve time in the Leavenworth Military Prison in Kansas.

jkeisenh

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 04:20:00 pm »
Remember... Bush is claiming this isn't a real war, thus the Geneva Convention doesn't apply, so what happened is wrong but not illegal under international law.  Oh, and we boycotted the World Court anyway, so who cares, right?  Bleh.

Did anyone notice that also in this morning's paper was a nice picture of Bush's happy campaign tour through the Midwest?  Dude, your country, its economy, your stupid worthless war, and your ratings are all going to sh*t.  Maybe now's not the best time for a victory lap.

As if the entire middle east didn't already hate us, we just keep giving them more and more reasons.

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 04:24:00 pm »
The country has "gone to shit" under Bush, yet the best Kerry can do is pull even in the polls.

Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
  Remember... Bush is claiming this isn't a real war, thus the Geneva Convention doesn't apply, so what happened is wrong but not illegal under international law.  Oh, and we boycotted the World Court anyway, so who cares, right?  Bleh.

Did anyone notice that also in this morning's paper was a nice picture of Bush's happy campaign tour through the Midwest?  Dude, your country, its economy, your stupid worthless war, and your ratings are all going to sh*t.  Maybe now's not the best time for a victory lap.

As if the entire middle east didn't already hate us, we just keep giving them more and more reasons.

jkeisenh

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Ball Girl:
  obviously I think it's wrong to humiliate and abuse people, but I think this case has been blown WAY out of proportion
Sorry for two posts in a row, but I have to reply...
 Have YOU ever been incarcerated?  Have you lost all liberties, been hogtied, been stripsearched?

I've been arrested on a number of occasions, often for not doing anything illegal.  And let me tell you, your captors have absolute power over you.  It's the worst feeling ever.  Need to pee?  Sorry, not now.  Hungry?  Nope, you wait.  If they tell you to do something, you do it, no choices.  It's horrible.  Now, imagine having your captor strip you naked.  Imagine having to do some of the things you've seen pictures of.

Have you seen "Das Experiment?"  

There's no blowing out of proportion when power is abused and people's basic human rights are denied them.  If you think it's overblown, try to think of yourself in that position...

Celeste

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »
They hate us because of their religious fundamentalism and our ties with Israel. They'll hate us no matter what we do because we are "infidels".

Venerable Bede

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 04:26:00 pm »

apparently, you missed this article:

Productivity Grows, Jobless Claims Drop

1 hour, 33 minutes ago  

By JEANNINE AVERSA, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The productivity of America's companies rose solidly in the opening quarter of this year, and new filings for jobless benefits plunged last week to their lowest level in more than three years, good news for the country's economic health.

The Labor Department (news - web sites) reported Thursday that productivity â?? the amount an employee produces for every hour on the job â?? rose at a 3.5 percent annual rate in the January-to-March quarter, up from a 2.5 percent pace registered in the previous quarter.

The latest reading on productivity marked the best showing since the third quarter of 2003 and matched analysts' forecasts.

In a second report from the department, new applications filed for unemployment insurance dropped by a seasonally adjusted 25,000 to 315,000, for the week ending May 1. That marked the lowest level since Oct. 28, 2000.

The layoffs picture presented by the jobless claims filings looked better than economists had expected. They had forecast claims to dip to around 335,000 last week.

"The employment picture is brightening," said Sherry Cooper, chief economist at BMO Nesbitt Burns.

On Wall Street, however, stocks fell. The Dow Jones industrials were off 75 points and the Nasdaq was down 23 points in morning trading.

In other economic news, consumers retrenched a bit in April, leaving many retailers with modest sales gains for the month. Cool weather, particularly in the Northeast, hurt results at many stores. Wal-Mart Stores Inc., Limited Brands, TJX Cos. and Talbots Inc. were among the retailers reporting disappointing sales.

On the productivity front, efficiency gains are important to the economy's long-term vitality. They allow the economy to grow faster without igniting inflation. Companies can pay workers more without raising prices, which would eat up those wage gains. And productivity can bolster a company's profitability.

As profits improve, companies may be more willing to step up hiring and capital spending, key ingredients to making the national economy's recovery lasting.

Federal Reserve (news - web sites) Chairman Alan Greenspan (news - web sites) and his colleagues, in deciding Tuesday to hold a key interest rate at a 46-year low of 1 percent, said such low rates along with productivity gains are helping to support economic activity.

Looking ahead, Greenspan told a banking conference Thursday he expected productivity growth to slow a bit but that gains should still be good. "Even though the longer-term prospects for innovation and respectable productivity growth are encouraging, some near-term slowing ... seems likely," he said.

During the economic slump, gains in productivity came at the expense of workers. Companies produced more with fewer employees. Although companies are still somewhat cautious in hiring, they did produce more with modest increases to workers' hours in the last three quarters.

In the January-to-March quarter of this year, companies boosted output at a 4.9 percent rate, up from a 4.2 percent pace in the previous quarter. Workers' hours, meanwhile, rose at a 1.3 percent rate in the first quarter, following a 1.6 percent growth rate in the fourth quarter.

Companies' unit labor costs increased at a rate of 0.5 percent in the first quarter, after being flat in the final quarter of last year. It marked the biggest increase in a year.

The economy grew at a healthy 4.2 percent rate in the first quarter of this year, a slight improvement from the 4.1 percent pace registered in the previous quarter. Economists believe the economy is expanding at around a 4.5 percent to 5 percent pace in the current April-to-June quarter.

The nation's employment climate also shows signs of picking up. After months of sluggish payrolls gains, the economy added 308,000 jobs in March, the most in four years. While economists don't believe that pace can currently be sustained, many are calling for payrolls to grow by a net 168,000 in April, which would represent respectable job growth. The government releases the employment report for April on Friday.
OU812

redsock

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 04:27:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shadrach:

Originally posted by redsock:
Where's the cover up? No one at the White House is denying that it happened. In fact they are outraged, as they should be. It's not like Bush or his advisors are over there taking shifts as prison guards. I can think of plenty of reasons to hate Bush, but this one needs to fall directly on the shoulders of those U.S. Military personnel involved

Personally I think it's an outrage what has gone on. Prisoners of war have certain rights under the Geneva Convention to be treated humanely and those scumbags violated their rights as human beings. How many times have Americans cried out for justice because of the way other countries treat their P.O.W.â??s? It's just another example of Americans thinking we are above everyone else and above justice. I hope all those involved have to serve time in the Leavenworth Military Prison in Kansas. [/b]
They knew about this in February, yet nothing happened. Bush is trying to cover his ass by saying he didn't see the pictures... so what, this makes it ok? Sorry Mr. President, didn't know you missed those pictures. So fucking lame. Nothing happens until someone prints a fucking picture...and in this era of leaning way to the right media, the pictures just don't get out, and don't get talked about, enough.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 04:29:00 pm »
without moving this into a feminist debate, anyone else notice how no one is talking about all the women in the pictures?  talk about being in a position of authority.
OU812

Celeste

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 04:32:00 pm »

Have YOU ever been incarcerated?  Have you lost all liberties, been hogtied, been stripsearched?

no, I am a law-abiding citizen who stays out of trouble

I've been arrested on a number of occasions, often for not doing anything illegal.

"often"?

And let me tell you, your captors have absolute power over you.  It's the worst feeling ever.  Need to pee?  Sorry, not now.  Hungry?  Nope, you wait.  If they tell you to do something, you do it, no choices.  It's horrible.  Now, imagine having your captor strip you naked.  Imagine having to do some of the things you've seen pictures of.

I know it's not ideal, but it's a WAR...and the things they've been showing are mild when it comes to war atrocities...I'm not saying it's right.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004, 04:41:00 pm »
When generals start bandying the old chestnut "Hearts & Minds" on TV then you'll know the war's a total clusterfuck.