Author Topic: fantasy football: a league of our own  (Read 288975 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: fantasy football: a league of our own
« Reply #375 on: November 02, 2009, 01:34:26 am »
question: is there any way of knowing if another team has put in a request for a player on waivers?  or does one blidly put their bod in, and only finds out once the waiver period ends and the player is assigned to the team that "won" the waiver?

(p.s. retrospec, please see my note at the bottom of the previous page...)
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #376 on: November 07, 2009, 01:27:21 am »
yet another reason why i'm glad he's on my FF team:

Chris Johnson offers cars for yards

"It's really a goal of the offensive linemen because I told them if I get to 2,000 yards I'd buy them all a car. They want me to get 2,000 yards more than I want to get it.''

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20091105/SPORTS01/911050372/2072/SPORTS
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #377 on: November 09, 2009, 02:54:38 pm »
fantasy footballer #1 has an 7 point lead going in to tonight's game, and has PIT DEF.

his rival is behind by 7, but has Ward and Mendenhall.

who would you bet on?

edit: consensus seems to be that this will be a low-scoring, defense-heavy affair... therefore, advantage seems to be with FF#1.  dammit.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:47:32 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #378 on: November 10, 2009, 10:28:01 pm »
fantasy footballer #1 has an 7 point lead going in to tonight's game, and has PIT DEF.

his rival is behind by 7, but has Ward and Mendenhall.

who would you bet on?

edit: consensus seems to be that this will be a low-scoring, defense-heavy affair... therefore, advantage seems to be with FF#1.  dammit.

PIT DEF put up a ridiculous 21 points... but FF#1 still lost.  as FF #2, i had given up on winning this one until hines' last-minute touchdown.  in fact, i had given up as soon as PIT returned the interception for a touchdown.

the R'n'R Outlaws have to feel a bit robbed.  sry.
<sig>

crevers

« Reply #379 on: November 22, 2009, 11:53:01 pm »
In a possible preview of the playoffs, Carls are beating Killsaly, and Barebacks will need an above-consensus performance from Chris Johnson (22+ points) on MNF to beat T-Bars.

Granted, the real-life matchups will be different in Weeks 15 & 16, but those do look like the 4 playoff teams, barring collapse by Killsaly and a surge from Ian Curtis / RNR.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #380 on: November 23, 2009, 01:00:09 am »
the NJ barebacks needed a consensus performance from most of their starters, as opposed to the current below-expectations output.  MJD, payton and austin are on my shit-list.

i need 27 points outta CJ on MNF to pull off a tie - but i remain hopeful.  i was starring a loss in the face last week when BAL DEF pulled off an unexpected 24 points.  CJ has scored as high as 45 points in a single game... so there is an outside change. too bad he's up against the texans tomorrow, who are pretty stingy against the run.  ugh.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 02:30:05 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

BookerT

« Reply #381 on: November 23, 2009, 09:18:44 am »
my dilemma is that i have chris johnson in another league in which i'm 22 points behind (somewhat different scoring, but you get the basic idea). so there's a sweet spot between 22 and 26 points that would really be perfect. i need the win in that league more. having said that, i have no interest at all in losing to sweetcell and i'm still holding out hope of finishing first as to avoid facing him in the first round of the playoffs.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #382 on: December 01, 2009, 01:55:56 am »
In a possible preview of the playoffs, Carls are beating Killsaly, and Barebacks will need an above-consensus performance from Chris Johnson (22+ points) on MNF to beat T-Bars.

Granted, the real-life matchups will be different in Weeks 15 & 16, but those do look like the 4 playoff teams, barring collapse by Killsaly and a surge from Ian Curtis / RNR.

so i got an unexpected W this week, thanks to tonight's bitter-sweet performance by brady (i'm a big pats fan but my fantasy team was up against him.  i really wasn't expecting a win given the manageable number of points needed by the other team, but...).

current league standings:
Rank   Team                     W-L-T     
1.    BookerT-Bars             10-2-0
2.    We Are Both Carls       9-3-0    
3.    New Jersey Barebacks  8-4-0       
4.    killsaly                      6-6-0        
5.    The Ian Curtis Shake   5-6-1    
6.    Rock N Roll Outlaws    5-7-0    
7.    team salty                3-9-0       
8.    Pigskin&Pigtails6949    1-10-1       

the top 3 spots are spoken for, with some possibility of movement (week 13: barebacks vs. carls, week 14: carls vs. t-bars).  there is still a fight to be had for fourth place (w13: shake vs. outlaws, w14: outlaws vs. killsaly).
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:10:22 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

BookerT

« Reply #383 on: December 01, 2009, 04:30:57 pm »
gee, look who's at the top of the standings, NEVER would have guessed that.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #384 on: December 07, 2009, 10:16:00 am »
i went to sleep last night and the score was 123-110 in my favor, but with the Carls still having 2 players in MNF.  i'm positive about this b/c i spent some time imagining scenarios that had me winning.

woke up this morning and the score is 123-116.  he had no one in the Min-Ari game.

wtf??
<sig>

BookerT

« Reply #385 on: December 07, 2009, 12:01:44 pm »
it may have something to do with that wacky play in the skins/saints game. i guess NO defense got credit for a TD on that play when there was the INT by the skins, fumble by the skins, then returned for a TD by meachem. technically offense, but for fantasy a DEF TD? that's my best guess. maybe it was originally scored one way and changed to the other.

vansmack

« Reply #386 on: December 07, 2009, 01:27:13 pm »
it may have something to do with that wacky play in the skins/saints game. i guess NO defense got credit for a TD on that play when there was the INT by the skins, fumble by the skins, then returned for a TD by meachem. technically offense, but for fantasy a DEF TD? that's my best guess. maybe it was originally scored one way and changed to the other.

I don't know what service you use, but CBS took forever to score it, originally scored it a Defenseive TD, changed their mind during the evening game, but changed it back with the following explanation:

Speaking of Meachem, he was involved in a weird play that contributed points to the Saints DST: QB Drew Brees threw an interception to Kareem Moore of the Redskins, and Moore returned it 14 yards before getting stripped by Meachem. Meachem recovered the fumble and returned it 44 yards for a score. However, CBSSports.com rules it as a defensive fumble recovery and thus a defensive touchdown for the Saints DST because technically Meachem was a defender following the change of possession. By rule when there is a change of possession via turnover, the offensive team becomes the defense and the defense becomes the offense.
27>34

crevers

« Reply #387 on: December 08, 2009, 01:08:07 am »
If you use Stattracker, it doesn't give me the touchdown.  If you use the Yahoo webpage, it does give me the touchdown.  Either way, it appears Donald Driver & Mason Crosby gave me the win outright.

crevers

« Reply #388 on: December 08, 2009, 09:40:21 am »
If you use Stattracker, it doesn't give me the touchdown.  If you use the Yahoo webpage, it does give me the touchdown.  Either way, it appears Donald Driver & Mason Crosby gave me the win outright.

Ugh, or not.  I don't know how the stat gurus changed things to end in a tie, but I guess that seals the rematch for us in the first round of the playoffs.

Booker, are you resting your guys next week? :-P

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #389 on: December 08, 2009, 10:17:04 am »
indeed, they took away the meachem/DEF TD and now we're tied (wouldn't be an issue had i started anquan boldin #@%+$&*!!!).  we're on an unavoidable collision course, see ya in week 15.  the tie means that you can't overtake bookerT for first place.  you losing + me winning next week = me in second place... giving me home field advantage? ::)

but we have a change-up in the last playoff spot: with an impressive win over the outlaws, Miss P takes 4th place away from killsaly.  congrats miss p!  should make week 14 interesting, as miss p needs a win against me (or a tie or loss by killsaly) to stay in 4th.
<sig>