Author Topic: The Replacements - New Songs  (Read 13199 times)

Arlette

The Replacements - New Songs
« on: March 29, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »
A bunch of forumites are fans, right?  

From billboard.com

Replacements Reunite for New Songs

"As tipped yesterday (March 28) on Billboard's Jaded Insider blog, Replacements members Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson and Chris Mars have reunited to record two new songs for an upcoming retrospective, "Don't You Know Who I Think I Was?: The Best of the Replacements." Due June 13 via Rhino, the set will feature "Message to the Boys" and "Pool & Dive," the band's first new recordings in 16 years.

Session drummer Josh Freese was behind the kit for the new recordings, while Mars contributed backing vocals. The songs were written by Westerberg and were recorded at producer Ed Ackerson's Flowers studio in Minneapolis."

There's a picture of them in the studio floating around, can't find a link now.  Tommy is so not a kid anymore! I just always remember him as a teenager.

Think they'll tour?

Arlette

Re: The Replacements - New Songs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 06:53:00 pm »
Here's the tracklist for the Best Of:

"Takin a Ride"
 "Shiftless When Idle"
 "Kids Don't Follow"
 "Color Me Impressed"
 "Within Your Reach"
 "I Will Dare"
 "Answering Machine"
 "Unsatisfied"
 "Here Comes a Regular"
 "Kiss Me on the Bus"
 "Bastards of Young"
 "Left of the Dial"
 "Alex Chilton"
 "Skyway"
 "Can't Hardly Wait"
 "Achin' To Be"
 "I'll Be You"
 "Merry Go Round"
 "Message to the Boys"
 "Pool & Dive"

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 07:24:00 pm »
all we need is a tour now ... maybe they could open for the smiths?

i'll definitely download those two, but i have all the albums and won't shell out for a "best of" (also have their last comp "all for nothing") ... anyone noticed how the utility of "Greatest Hits" albums have really dropped in the MP3 age?  used to be that you'd get them just to have the singles on one disc, now you can do that pretty easily yourself
(o|o)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 11:42:00 pm »
16 years?????  Christ, has it been that long?  I feel old now.

I'm all over this.

stu47

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 12:37:00 am »
I'll download this in a heartbeat to hear the new stuff

hell, if they got back together and actually put out a new CD, I'd actually buy it lol.....

but considering I have most of the 'mats stuff on disc, including the two disc greatest hits thing put out a couple years ago.....well, I aint buying this one

Bags

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
 i'll definitely download those two, but i have all the albums and won't shell out for a "best of" (also have their last comp "all for nothing") ...
Ditto.  I'd also buy a new album, even if it's not great, to support my fellas.  But NO to greatest hits compilations.

I'm most surprised that Mars agreed to a reunion...I would be ALL OVER a tour, though I'm sure I'd only be disappointed.  Some legends and memories can't be lived up to...

By the by, Chris Mars put out a couple of really good solo albums back in the day.  'Mats fans should definitely check them out.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 06:34:00 pm »
ok, i spent all afternoon listening to the mats (tough life, i know) ... it's tough to rank them (especially the top 3), but here's a shot:

1) Tim
 2) Pleased to Meet Me
 3) Let it Be
 4) All Shook Down
 5) Hootenanny
 6) Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash
 7) Don't Tell a Soul
 8) Stink

i like the tighter pop stuff for the most part, but a lot of the garage-punk parts of "let it be" are just great
(o|o)

Bags

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 07:41:00 pm »
I love "Don't Tell A Soul" -- I know, as a 'Mats album it doesn't really measure up, but I think it's the time of life for me, blah blah (I was a senior in college and NOT looking forward to the next stage of life).  

I couldn't rank among "Let It Be," "Tim" and "Pleased to Meet Me" -- though I've said I'd take Let It Be to the desert island with me.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 11:11:00 pm »
When I heard Stink for the first time in 8th grade I thought it was one of the coolest things ever.  Kids Don't Follow just seemed so rebellious and out of control to me....1-2-3-4!!!.......

It't pretty hard to rank my favorite Mats album for me too...they all have their place in my little drunken (well not really any more) heart.  The ones I listen to most though are Let it Be, Tim, and Don't Tell a Soul.

thingsfallapart

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 06:11:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  all we need is a tour now ... maybe they could open for the smiths?

i'll definitely download those two, but i have all the albums and won't shell out for a "best of" (also have their last comp "all for nothing") ... anyone noticed how the utility of "Greatest Hits" albums have really dropped in the MP3 age?  used to be that you'd get them just to have the singles on one disc, now you can do that pretty easily yourself
Greatest tour ever.

kcjones119

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 01:19:00 pm »
"Message to the Boys" debuted on (of all places) the Jim Rome show.  Here's the song:
 http://home.comcast.net/~alineback/05042006Rome2MessageToTheBoys.mp3

thingsfallapart

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 02:28:00 pm »
Originally posted by kcjones119:
  "Message to the Boys" debuted on (of all places) the Jim Rome show.  Here's the song:
  http://home.comcast.net/~alineback/05042006Rome2MessageToTheBoys.mp3
I read the Pitchfork review, they weren't that keen on it.

Bags

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2006, 02:51:00 pm »
I LOVE the 'Mats.  That said, not sure there's a need for a couple more songs.  I got a bunch of great albums.  That's plenty.

Now a tour....   :)

THANKS for the link, jones!!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2006, 03:02:00 pm »
i won these 'mats ad flats, but i just realized they only accept postal money orders (not paypal), talk about a pain in the ass
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »
You actually subscribe to Esquire?

Has it really helped you "to deal with the changing role of the American male in today's society?"