Author Topic: The Nats Thread  (Read 302551 times)

HoyaSaxa03

The Nats Thread
« on: July 13, 2006, 04:32:00 pm »
whadda ya think of today's trade?  obviously tons more trades to come before the end of the month, but kearns and lopez are solid young players
(o|o)

BookerT

Re: The Nats Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 04:39:00 pm »
i still think bowden's a chump, but it's hard not to see how he's not the big winner here. i mean, how ridiculous is it that the headline is "Reds get Majewski in eight-player deal with Washington." huh? sure he's a solid reliever, but there are about 40-50 guys in the minors who could come up and work in the bullpen and have a 3.58 era with a very mediocre strikeout rate.

kearns has never fulfilled his potential, but he's still a solid hitter and only 26 years old, although he will start to get expensive pretty soon. lopez might never match last year, but he's certainly an upgrade over royce fucking clayton. not sure where all the at-bats will go with soriano/guillen/kearns seemingly at two positions, could indicate a soriano deal, but big thumbs up for this one.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 04:42:00 pm »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  i mean, how ridiculous is it that the headline is "Reds get Majewski in eight-player deal with Washington."
agreed, trade headlines are invariably retarded ... the key here is that we're getting rid of royce clayton (who would have thought that??) and a good reliever for two solid younger players ... i would have liked to have seen us come out of this season still having majewski, but this is a really good trade

with his speed, i could see them putting soriano in CF (and everyone cringing) until he's dealt later this month
(o|o)

BookerT

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 04:44:00 pm »
apparently that was just the cincy ap writer, which is why the headline appeared that way. espn.com correctly identifies kearns and lopez as the big names. and apparently kearns, even tho he doesn't look it, is a pretty solid defender, so they might try him in center. it'd be worth to get his bat in there every day instead of escobar/anderson/byrd/etc. that's a pretty intimidating lineup they have now, believe it or not.

Guiny

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 04:45:00 pm »
Lopez and Kearns fantasy value has just taken a huge hit.  They go from a shoe box stadium to a park that is not hitter friendly.  I was suprised Soriano adapted so well offensively, I didn't keep him last year in one of my leagues because of the trade.  I better hope Ian Kinsler makes me not regret it in the second half.

BookerT

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 05:17:00 pm »
hey, speaking of fantasy baseball, how's that working out for everyone???   :cool:

shemptiness

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 06:02:00 pm »
Fat Sidney to Yanks - Soriano next?

Mobius

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 06:32:00 pm »
I think Lopez and Kearns are solid additions, but they fit the general Nationals mold of good players that its difficult to get excited about - epitomized by Nick Johnson who's a wonderful hitter, almost never (if ever) has a bad at-bat, but he's just not that exciting a player.  Kearns and Lopez are guys who put up good numbers - but they're pretty anonymous outside of fantasy circles.  And you would never say to yourself-"I think I'll head over to RFK to watch Lopez and Kearns swing the bat."  Still looks like a good trade - I'm just saying that the Nats could use more guys that you want to make it a point to see.

Guiny

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 11:16:00 am »
Originally posted by BookerT:
  hey, speaking of fantasy baseball, how's that working out for everyone???    :cool:  
50-48 in my league.  That still puts me last in my division.  But my team will be making a huge comeback in the second half I believe.

Guiny

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 11:17:00 am »
Originally posted by Shemp:
  Fat Sidney to Yanks - Soriano next?
Hopefully Bobby Abreau.

shemptiness

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 11:46:00 am »
Luis Matos???

Taster

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 02:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by Shemp:
  Luis Matos???
Can't be much worse than Marlon Byrd.  Can he?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 03:56:00 pm »
hows about 2 straight sweeps!  maybe we'll be able to get something for livan after all ...
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 01:20:00 pm »
i know some of you will appreciate this ...  JSF's worthless baseball card collection
(o|o)

Guiny

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 01:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa08:
  i know some of you will appreciate this ...  JSF's worthless baseball card collection
Man alot of those reminds me of collecting cards when I was a kid.