Author Topic: The Nats Thread  (Read 302286 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: The Nats Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 09:48:56 am »
Anthony Rendon is on fire. He looked great on 3rd last night too.

I hope the beating up on shitty team things translates to being able to duke it out with the heavy hitters. Hopefully it's not like last year where we'd whoop the shit teams and then fall miserably to the big guys.
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 11:23:29 am »
have really liked Rendon since he first came up.

vansmack

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2014, 12:30:51 pm »
have really liked Rendon since he first came up.

I'll just leave this here:

There's an easy fix for the Nats offensive woes - call up Rendon, and have him play second base, like he has been in Double A ball.  He's hitting .350 down there - even if he hits .240 in the bigs, it's .100 points better than Espinosa.

The Nats have a helluva problem when Zimm returns.  Can't sit LaRoche while he's hitting, probably can't move him until the trade deadline, but Zimm has to be a first baseman the rest of his career.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2014, 12:37:07 pm »
agree completely.  zimm is done at third.  i'm perplexed at his issues... high school third basemen have less issues in the field than he's having.

vansmack

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2014, 12:52:31 pm »
agree completely.  zimm is done at third.  i'm perplexed at his issues... high school third basemen have less issues in the field than he's having.

Focal Dystonia.

Haven't seen a case this bad since Knoblauch (not counting Ankiel because he was a pitcher).
27>34

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2014, 01:52:41 pm »

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10748667/ryan-zimmerman-washington-nationals-play-some-first-base-due-arthritic-shoulder

It got real bad last year. Maybe Rendon being out there got to him too? I'd like to imagine that didn't rattle him. I'd have no problem with him moving to 3rd. He could play at 1st every couple of games. LaRoche and Rendon are kind of carrying the team offensively right now.
‼‼?‼‼

stevewizzle

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2014, 01:54:19 pm »
yeah nice to see adam showed up this year in april instead of his typical late-May emergence.

booked a trip to chicago to catch nats/cubs in June.  pretty stoked.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2014, 02:01:24 pm »

Focal Dystonia.

Haven't seen a case this bad since Knoblauch (not counting Ankiel because he was a pitcher).

Have you read The Art of Fielding?  Although I thought it borrowed too heavily from A Prayer for Owen Meany, it's a good read in which the protagonist, a college shortstop poised for the majors, deals with a nasty case of this.

James Ford

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2014, 02:13:08 pm »
Isn't this a contract year for LaRoche?

yeah nice to see adam showed up this year in april instead of his typical late-May emergence.

stevewizzle

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2014, 02:15:22 pm »
Isn't this a contract year for LaRoche?

yes. might have an option for a third year, but regardless, he's a free agent the end of this season.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2014, 02:17:21 pm »
laroche has a mutual option for next year

i think it goes without saying that he wont be back

itll be a shame if he keeps hitting like this all year, but its clear where zim is headed

vansmack

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2014, 02:21:43 pm »

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10748667/ryan-zimmerman-washington-nationals-play-some-first-base-due-arthritic-shoulder

It got real bad last year.

I'm not buying the arthritis.  His offensive numbers have been fairly consistent, which would be hard to do with a roughed up shoulder.  And he's still gloving above average - I read yesterday that he made something like 21 errors last season, which wasn't too high for a third baseman - especially one with above average range, but the problem was that the majority of his errors were throwing errors on routine plays.

Must be a contact year...

Have you read The Art of Fielding? 

I have not, but will add it to my list.  Thanks!
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2014, 02:39:02 pm »
Intentional walks: Where to eat and drink near Nationals Park
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/going-out-guide/wp/2014/04/03/intentional-walks-where-to-eat-and-drink-near-nationals-park/

apologies if this has already been posted.
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2014, 03:06:52 pm »

Focal Dystonia.

Have you read The Art of Fielding?  Although I thought it borrowed too heavily from A Prayer for Owen Meany, it's a good read in which the protagonist, a college shortstop poised for the majors, deals with a nasty case of this.

I love this book for the first three quarters of it. I thought the ending was absolutely bizarre, albeit I'm referring not so much the actual baseball plot, but the bizarre grave-robbery b-story. I do still highly recommended however.

Full disclosure: I am an associate of the author.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:08:24 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2014, 01:42:09 am »
Rendon is the truth. Zimm is completely done at 3B.

This much is obvious, but when people talk about this I feel like they gloss over how much Zimm has meant to this franchise. Given his past exploits and hitting potential over the next 5 years, Zimm is underpaid at 11/$135MM, and the Nats need to clear room for him at 1B.

LaRoche has become a veteran leader, but Werth and Zimm will fill that void. Wait until LaRoche's trade value is the highest and deal him.
(o|o)