Author Topic: The Nats Thread  (Read 302284 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Nats Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2014, 04:52:31 pm »
Does SUNY-Fredonia even have sports teams?

I graduated from college 24 years ago, I stopped referring to anything pertaining to the college as "we" when I graduated.

This is something of a pet peeve of mine as well, although I do catch myself doing it from time to time. Side question: does it feel more acceptable to you guys if someone does it about a college team and they're an alumni of that college? I love my Red Wings and my Wolverines, but it feels less cringe worthy if I referred to a Michigan team as we as opposed to the Red Wings or The Tigers. Thoughts?
They do, actually. They're DIII I think.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2014, 05:11:39 pm »
University at Albany.
Apparently they've made the NCAA tourney four of the last nine years.

I graduated from college 24 years ago, I stopped referring to anything pertaining to the college as "we" when I graduated.

This is something of a pet peeve of mine as well, although I do catch myself doing it from time to time. Side question: does it feel more acceptable to you guys if someone does it about a college team and they're an alumni of that college? I love my Red Wings and my Wolverines, but it feels less cringe worthy if I referred to a Michigan team as we as opposed to the Red Wings or The Tigers. Thoughts?

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2014, 05:16:18 pm »
University at Albany.
Apparently they've made the NCAA tourney four of the last nine years.

Their, um, "interesting" jersey design was quite the talk of the first week of the tourney.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2014, 11:46:34 am »

You all should buy tickets to the Anaheim series however, just to see Mike Trout play.  Some O's fans ignored me last year and all he did was make that catch in front of the Southwest Airlines sign that I'm sure you've all seen.

And don't be LA Fashionably Late either....

2.110 - That's Mike Trout's OPS in the first inning this season. He's 7-for-13, with four homers. There are rival evaluators who say that they will make a point to see all of his plate appearances in every game because they fret about what they might miss.
27>34

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2014, 09:59:51 am »
Headed to the game tonight. After last nights mess I don't know how excited I am. Even with Gio on the mound. SOMEONE needs to be the stopper. In 2012 is was Stras, in 2013 it was no one. Seeing the defense struggle is just amazingly frustrating. Not to mention the offense going quietly inning after inning.

Really don't want this to be a repeat of last year.... Kept saying "It's early, there's time" and then we got into June/July/August..... Uy. Still.... Very early.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2014, 01:45:30 pm »
You can't win the division in April, but you can lose it (ask any Anaheim fan about the last two April's).  And the Nats are no where near losing it right now.

They have to play better defense though.  Last night was comedic, but despite 4 errors, 6 of the 8 runs were still earned.  That's a problem you can't solely blame on defense.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:52:35 pm by vansmack »
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2014, 01:55:42 pm »
yeah, and you're seeing wacha vs. gio... on a friday night.

a 9-7 nats team who flops in one game against one of the leagues best in april really doesn't mean anything. 

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2014, 03:43:16 pm »
It just gives me awful flashbacks to last year when all we heard was "it's early, it's a long season" and then we're chasing the Barves all season. I'm not in full on panic mode, but they are frustrating to watch. Lost 5 of the last 7.

Hopefully they can brush that all off with the thick of the pitching rotation coming up this weekend.
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2014, 03:47:17 pm »
So what position do you play, pitcher or catcher?

It just gives me awful flashbacks to last year when all we heard was "it's early, it's a long season" and then we're chasing the Barves all season. I'm not in full on panic mode, but they are frustrating to watch. Lost 5 of the last 7.

Hopefully they can brush that all off with the thick of the pitching rotation coming up this weekend.

hutch

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2014, 07:53:54 am »
'I sat with him for a couple of minutes in his locker and told him I'm confident in him and I'm proud of him and he was going to have impact today, which he did,'' Williams said.

Harper had a somewhat different take on the conversation with Williams, as far as length goes.

''He just said, 'Go get 'em.' That's the three words he said,'' Harper said. ''It's good to get back out there and play and be part of a win.''

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2014, 08:57:05 am »
not sure how i feel about the harper benching

on one hand, it certainly sends a strong message (and one davey would never have sent) to never give up. as frustrating as the nats have been at times this season, theyve shown far more drive to come from behind whereas last year theyd fold the second they fall behind. of course itd be nice if the team wrent always in the position to need to come back by the second inning, but thats another issue.

on the other hand, i know harper had had some slight leg issues this week so i have a hard time faulting him for not going 110% on a soft grounder to the pitcher. anything can happen at any time sure, but if ever there was a play to save some energy, thats the one. the guy cant win: he plays too hard and hurts himself and he gets ripped apart by the media, he takes it easy from time to time and he gets ripped apart by his coaches.

im not gonna jump on the bryce is a diva train (anyone read boswell's scathing piece this weekend? ouch) but i do think there are times he needs reminded that hes a good player who hasnt yet become a great one. not sure if this was the right way to go about that, but i like that williams is willing to make a statement like that

now if the pitching staff could wake up and take some pressure off the bats, theyd be in good shape, even with all the errors.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2014, 10:21:43 am »
Up and down series against the Cards. At least the 2nd loss wasn't horrific.

I feel like Williams has gone through such a crazy season and he's only 20 or so games in hahaha
‼‼?‼‼

shemptiness

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2014, 11:03:59 am »
You all should buy tickets to the Anaheim series however, just to see Mike Trout play.  Some O's fans ignored me last year and all he did was make that catch in front of the Southwest Airlines sign that I'm sure you've all seen.

Guilty.  I was in the upper level walking to my seat.  Caught it on the monitor.

vansmack

« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2014, 12:37:12 pm »
I like the way Anaheim is going to match up with the Nats this week.

Richards has been the Angels most consistent starter (finally) and could be a star in the making.

I also like Skaggs in the battle of the youngsters over Jordan.

I think Gio beats Weaver.  He's lost his command and you can't win throwing 85 mph if you don't hit your target.

Of course, when the Angels bullpen has to come in the game, all bets are off.

So I'll take the Angels in the first 7 innings of 2 out of 3 this week.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2014, 12:42:56 pm »
does richards really have that potential?

i picked him up last week in my keeper league.