Author Topic: The Nats Thread  (Read 306454 times)

hutch

Re: The Nats Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2014, 04:10:54 pm »
The media decided they didn't like Harper before he ever took a major league at-bat. Nothing he does will ever be right. He then followed that up by having the audacity to not be as good as Trout.

is that what happened?

i think initially the harper coverage was all positive

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2014, 04:13:45 pm »
The media decided they didn't like Harper before he ever took a major league at-bat. Nothing he does will ever be right. He then followed that up by having the audacity to not be as good as Trout.

is that what happened?

All I recall was how he was ruining baseball and figuratively raping children with his ostentatious eye black.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2014, 06:03:49 pm »

is that what happened?

All I recall was how he was ruining baseball and figuratively raping children with his ostentatious eye black.

All I recall is how amazing a ballplayer he was already at like 17 or 18 years...not to speak of his tremendous potential...

(Ok I do remember the eyeliner crap but couldnt care less)

The problem with Mr. Harper is he has not delivered on the field.

vansmack

« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2014, 06:59:27 pm »
There are some that think nobody should slide head first, especially power hitters, as unprotected hands are much more vulnerable than feet with shoes on (and spikes to keep players out of the way) and leg bones are less likely to break than arm bones.  Knees and elbows are equally vulnerable. 

I definitely think you should never slide head first into home or first, and second and third only when absolutely necessary. The only times I ever went head first was diving back to the bag on pick off throws or to avoid double plays.

I think Bowell was being harsh, but also think he can list a few of Harper injuries that could have been avoided, and this one would be on the list for many.

As for the media backlash, they brought it upon themselves.  They hyped him for so long and now he's not meeting their lofty expectations, so that must be his fault.  He's going to be a very good ball player, but he'll be elite when he grows up.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2014, 11:16:06 pm »
so one week ago boswell writes an article ripping bryce apart for not hustilng enough and deserving to get benched, now harper's on the dl for spraining his thumb on a triple and boswell tweets "Baseball teaches every player, thru their UNNECESSARY injuries, how hard is hard enough for them. Harper (DL) needs to listen to the game."

can we make up our mind on whether the kid plays too hard or not hard enough?

harpers thumb injury seemed more of a freak thing than anything else (basically the same as zimmermans, just at a different base) but this mixed message here pisses me off. bryce is obviously still learning but how is he supposed to do that when people like boswell pile on no matter what he does

i'm a bos supporter most times, but you're absolutely right on this one.

he's been carrying a torch and trying to burn down every bit of washington sports since pre-season football last year, good and bad.

« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2014, 05:48:00 pm »
Harper out to early-July, at the earliest, following surgery, per ESPN crawl.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2014, 06:19:07 pm »

maybe he can spend the next 2-3 months practicing sliding feet first

James Ford

« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2014, 07:08:18 pm »
What a piece of shit loser.

eros

« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2014, 07:36:23 pm »

Maybe he can get RG3 to teach him.

http://www.csnwashington.com/sportsnetWashington/search/v/81363264/rg3-thinking-of-asking-harper-for-sliding-advice.htm
ʎɐʍou

hutch

« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2014, 07:38:30 pm »

Maybe he can get RG3 to teach him.

http://www.csnwashington.com/sportsnetWashington/search/v/81363264/rg3-thinking-of-asking-harper-for-sliding-advice.htm

ha...ain't that something...

James Ford

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2014, 08:33:29 pm »
That, and his religious cult membership.

« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2014, 08:55:54 pm »

Seriously? LDS? Calling those people a cult, even tongue in cheek, is an insult to anyone who has a family member in an actual cult. Such an idiotic cheap shot.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #147 on: April 30, 2014, 11:00:59 am »
so one week ago boswell writes an article ripping bryce apart for not hustilng enough and deserving to get benched, now harper's on the dl for spraining his thumb on a triple and boswell tweets "Baseball teaches every player, thru their UNNECESSARY injuries, how hard is hard enough for them. Harper (DL) needs to listen to the game."

can we make up our mind on whether the kid plays too hard or not hard enough?

harpers thumb injury seemed more of a freak thing than anything else (basically the same as zimmermans, just at a different base) but this mixed message here pisses me off. bryce is obviously still learning but how is he supposed to do that when people like boswell pile on no matter what he does
Boswell just wants attention from the 930 Club Boards, lets be honest.
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #148 on: April 30, 2014, 11:57:13 am »
I guess it depends on how you define "cult".

I define it as a collection of fucked up nut jobs.

Read this book:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Banner_of_Heaven

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Banner-Heaven-Story-Violent/dp/1400032806

Seriously? LDS? Calling those people a cult, even tongue in cheek, is an insult to anyone who has a family member in an actual cult. Such an idiotic cheap shot.

Yada

« Reply #149 on: April 30, 2014, 12:18:39 pm »

Deets on any of your family members in a cult, please?