Author Topic: The Nats Thread  (Read 306242 times)

hutch

Re: The Nats Thread
« Reply #210 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:54 pm »
Top of the 7th, with a lead, and he's already making headlines:

Harper Returns to Lineup with an Attitude

I think Boswell is harsh here, but I agree with the sentiment.  Hey 22 year old kid who missed almost 60 games and the team is still somehow only .5 game out - shut the hell up and play ball.

harper is a moron... i can't believe he would say that stuff...

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #211 on: June 30, 2014, 09:51:10 pm »
glad to have harper back, but man was that a stupid quote. i generally think his attitude reputation is overhyped, but there's no defending him here. dumb dumb dumb.

stevewizzle

« Reply #212 on: July 01, 2014, 01:27:36 am »
Top of the 7th, with a lead, and he's already making headlines:

Harper Returns to Lineup with an Attitude

I think Boswell is harsh here, but I agree with the sentiment.  Hey 22 year old kid who missed almost 60 games and the team is still somehow only .5 game out - shut the hell up and play ball.

"Instead of ?Nothing But Natitude,? Harper?s box could?ve read, ?Nothing But Attitude.?"

accidental meta

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #213 on: July 01, 2014, 09:34:45 am »
Didn't he start low when he first got called up too? Within a couple games he was right up at the top. I think it was to ease him in. I was there last night. Everyone stood up when he came to bat. It was a joke. Let the kid play some baseball. I love how he plays, but he IS overhyped so far. I'm excited to have the full line-up in there though and last night was one fun game to be at.

I will also be there tonight!
‼‼?‼‼

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2014, 09:55:57 am »
I know this might seem like a trollbait opinion, but do you think there's something about Washington sports fans "bandwagon-ness" that enables a lot of this? Like, I've always thought Ovechkin would be a lot better in most other franchises. He can skate half-assed (at best) on defense and absolutely no coach can say crap because the coach would get fired. RG3 checks himself in and out of games and again, basically can fire a coach. Harper can give lineup suggestions and fans are basically going to let him skate.

These things wouldn't happen in most other cities. If OV was on the Wings or Hawks, they'd sit his ass down and if he didn't respond, he'd be traded. He definitely wouldn't have a letter on his sweater. Harper could never do this on the Yankees or even St Louis. This just wouldn't be allowed, but in DC, if you're a star, the fans are always going to ultimately give them a pass, to an extent far greater than in the average sports town.
LVMH

stevewizzle

« Reply #215 on: July 01, 2014, 10:40:32 am »
I know this might seem like a trollbait opinion, but do you think there's something about Washington sports fans "bandwagon-ness" that enables a lot of this? Like, I've always thought Ovechkin would be a lot better in most other franchises. He can skate half-assed (at best) on defense and absolutely no coach can say crap because the coach would get fired. RG3 checks himself in and out of games and again, basically can fire a coach. Harper can give lineup suggestions and fans are basically going to let him skate.

These things wouldn't happen in most other cities. If OV was on the Wings or Hawks, they'd sit his ass down and if he didn't respond, he'd be traded. He definitely wouldn't have a letter on his sweater. Harper could never do this on the Yankees or even St Louis. This just wouldn't be allowed, but in DC, if you're a star, the fans are always going to ultimately give them a pass, to an extent far greater than in the average sports town.

fan base AND media.  outside of boswell, you have nothing but praise for mediocrity and free passes.  at least it's changing a little bit now as teams continue to underachieve in the region.

vansmack

« Reply #216 on: July 01, 2014, 11:46:14 am »
i generally think his attitude reputation is overhyped, but there's no defending him here. dumb dumb dumb.

I don't think the Nats have anything to worry about.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #217 on: July 01, 2014, 12:13:53 pm »
i generally think his attitude reputation is overhyped, but there's no defending him here. dumb dumb dumb.

I don't think the Nats have anything to worry about.

hahahaha.

oh man.

there's also the possibility that denard is the real bum in the clubhouse, and harper is the only one immature enough to make it publicly known.  i doubt that's the case, but it's possible.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #218 on: July 01, 2014, 02:46:06 pm »

Ovechkin is a 3 time league MVP and has led the league in scoring. He'd maybe have his minutes cut down, like Hunter did, and Hunter wasn't chased out or fired because of Ovechkin. If anything he just didn't like the team, or coaching it, and he chose to be with his family in Canada with his own hockey program. Even in that season Ovechkin became more defensive minded, diving in front of pucks, being more responsible on his defensive side.

RG3 may have more of a say, but Shannahan was nothing short of disappointing in his 4 seasons here and apparently a nazi in the locker room. BUT those are all rumors and we'll never know. I don't think any single player has more power in their organization over what the GM or owner decides. I don't think Harper, RG3, Ovechkin, John Wall/Bradley Beal can walk into the GMs office and say "Fire this shmo" and have it be done.

I do think the DC bangwagon is annoying, but what can we do. From all the locker room reports, no one in the clubhouse seems to care what Harper said and are just excited to have him and the full opening day line-up back on the field. The sports media, especially in this town, is such a fucking joke.
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #219 on: July 08, 2014, 11:02:23 am »
So much for the O's bullpen being exhausted.

Sucks to see the starting pitching keep us in the game and then the bullpen to shit the bed. Not to take anything away from the O's line-up at all. It was a frustrating loss considering how close most of the game was.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #220 on: July 25, 2014, 08:39:44 pm »
The Giants, or perhaps it's just Mike Morse I can only hear the stadium from my place, I can't see the field, are currently taking BP to "Take on Me" by A-Ha.

I just thought you guys should know that.
27>34

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #221 on: July 28, 2014, 10:01:24 am »
They finally stopped playing it during the 7th inning stretches here. It's time we moved on.
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #222 on: July 28, 2014, 10:29:28 am »
Perhaps they could try "YMCA".

They finally stopped playing it during the 7th inning stretches here. It's time we moved on.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #223 on: July 28, 2014, 10:32:33 am »

In The Navy really is the better Village People track, and it'd be a great shoutout to our boys up in Annapolis.
LVMH

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #224 on: July 28, 2014, 01:09:39 pm »

In The Navy really is the better Village People track, and it'd be a great shoutout to our boys up in Annapolis.
Not to mention the ballpark is located in the Navy Yard...
‼‼?‼‼