Author Topic: The Nats Thread  (Read 306420 times)

vansmack

Re: The Nats Thread
« Reply #405 on: October 05, 2014, 12:05:11 am »
Misery loves company.

You know where to find me.  And Julian.
27>34

stevewizzle

« Reply #406 on: October 05, 2014, 12:12:38 am »
is there an al anon-like group for our significant others?

shemptiness

« Reply #407 on: October 05, 2014, 12:14:19 am »
And yet after 18 innings Harper's hair still looked magnificent.

hutch

« Reply #408 on: October 05, 2014, 01:36:05 am »
well I was there tonight... that fucking blew

Matt Williams is an idiot.. taking out Jordan Zim because of a rather iffy walk WITH TWO OUTS..give me a break..for Drew Storen...three pitches...two hits... oh and Posey was safe!

I stuck around all 18 innings....

Harper showed up the ump , then Cabrera showed him up went wild and got tossed... then Matt Williams got tossed....WTF? What the fuck for??? Yeah the ump fucked up but what do you accomplish by losing your cool?

Rendon was a beast...4 hits...a walk, a stolen base...

« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:37:45 am by hutch »

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #409 on: October 05, 2014, 04:47:13 am »
Matt Williams is an idiot.. taking out Jordan Zim because of a rather iffy walk WITH TWO OUTS..give me a break..for Drew Storen...three pitches...two hits... oh and Posey was safe!
in hindsight yeah but i think most managers would have made the exact same move. with as good as storens been lately, you trust him to get one out

sandovals just one of those guys that continues to come up big when it counts

hutch

« Reply #410 on: October 05, 2014, 10:02:09 am »
no way.. not in hindsight.. I thought it was the wrong move when it was made and I called it...

most managers lately are messing up taking their starters out too early for relievers that end up blowing the game

hutch

« Reply #411 on: October 05, 2014, 10:10:22 am »
Only positive was there were two president races last night... they did it again in 9 innings after the first so there was a second race in the 13th inning.. Teddy won both times!

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #412 on: October 05, 2014, 10:53:02 am »
storen ended the season on a dominant run. you trust him in that situation, regardless of playoff history. zimmermann didnt look done, but i had no problem with the move. if psey goes deep on jordan, williams is crucified for leaving him in.

either way, the blame falls totally on the offense. pitching staff has allowed 5 runs in 27 playoff innings. that should be more than enough for at least one win.

the bright side is fister is the guy id most want on the mound against bumgarner on the road with the series on the line. after bumgarner san fran's starting pitching situation is iffy (id read they planned on using petit in game 4 but he threw a lot last night so who knows. hopefully they give lincecum a shot. nats always hit him hard) so games 4 and 5 could easily go either way. someones probably gonna scratch out a 1-0 win on monday, just hope its the nats

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #413 on: October 05, 2014, 11:08:46 am »
i hope zimmerman starts game 3. both his pinch hit at bats have looked good, and i just feel like having him in the lineup all night could be the boost they need. i wouldnt bench harper or cabrera when theyve provided half the offense so far though. can zim's hamstring handle first base?

hutch

« Reply #414 on: October 05, 2014, 01:02:01 pm »
i hope zimmerman starts game 3. both his pinch hit at bats have looked good, and i just feel like having him in the lineup all night could be the boost they need. i wouldnt bench harper or cabrera when theyve provided half the offense so far though. can zim's hamstring handle first base?

you're always so upbeat...even down 2-0 after a game we needed to and should have won..heading to San Francisco..

harper??? what was he last night?? 0-7??? He also had that great move where he showed up the umpire and deserved to be kicked out...

When are people going to realize Harper is nothing.... every time I go "Ok Harper, if you take advantage of this situation I'll stand corrected.. prove me wrong!" ... He never does.

I wont' even talk about the Storen coming in thing since if you cant see that taking out your pitcher when he hasn't given up a hit in like a whole bunch of innings with two outs and a runner on because of an ump's mistake is stupid... the Giants said they were most pleased to see Storen and they showed it....

some people let their fandom get in the way of common sense..

I could write an essay on what a great player Rendon is.... so I think I recognize a guy who knows how to play the game...

sadly its turned out like i kind of thought it would.. the giants know how to play in the playoffs and our guys by and large don't...hudson was right..... and bochy is three times the manager matt williams is...

shemptiness

« Reply #415 on: October 05, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »
I saw a tweet - The Nats are the Caps without the ice.

hutch

« Reply #416 on: October 05, 2014, 01:19:43 pm »
I saw a tweet - The Nats are the Caps without the ice.

funny you say that..people were talking about that on the metro after the game...there was a real sense of deflation about DC sports teams...

stevewizzle

« Reply #417 on: October 05, 2014, 01:32:07 pm »
I wont' even talk about the Storen coming in thing since if you cant see that taking out your pitcher when he hasn't given up a hit in like a whole bunch of innings with two outs and a runner on because of an ump's mistake is stupid... the Giants said they were most pleased to see Storen and they showed it....

some people let their fandom get in the way of common sense..

so you're suggesting, in hindsight, it was the incorrect call to pull zimm and go with storen?

what a bold take.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #418 on: October 05, 2014, 01:33:15 pm »
i dont think im being too upbeat. the offense has been terrible, last night was a brutal loss, and tomorrow will be insanely tough. but the pitching has been good. obviously not as good as the miserable offense requires them to be, but theyve done their part. the offense just needs to give them more margin for error.

with fister on the mound tomorrow i have hope.  not a lot of it, but some. seems like he was always the guy that came through in the must win games this season. even if they win monday its still a tough road ahead (and would require a top notch gio start, and a better strasburg start) but crazier things have happened. the 2012 bats came alive after a poor start to the playoffs (though of course we know how that ended) so who knows. scratch out a win however possible tomorrow and go from there.

i didnt say harper (or cabrera) had a great game yesterday (its clear only one nats hitter did) but with such slim pickings from the offense so far, their home runs on friday stand out so i wouldnt bench them. probably all a moot point since if zim's hamstring was up for playing the field hed have done so by now but its a shame to only get one at bat a night out of him when hes one of the only guys that still looks like himself at the plate.

of course with all the talk of desmonds kid he might miss a game in san fran and force ryan to start, and i cant say im too upset about that. desmond looks especially lost

agree on harper yelling at the ump btw. never do that in the middle of an at bat. im very surprised he wasnt tossed. cabrera also shouldnt have gotten himself tossed (yell all you want but when you slam the bat you give the ump no choice), and williams DEFINITELY shouldnt have. that stand up for your players idea is nice in the regular season but you cannot force your team to go into extra innings in the playoffs with no manager.

but again, all of the manager/pitching talk is avoiding the real issue. idk what these guys all did betwen sunday and friday but that roll they were on came to a grinding halt

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #419 on: October 05, 2014, 01:39:07 pm »
and didnt bochy do with hudson essentially what williams did with jordan? cruising starter pulled at the first sign of late inning trouble?

i think bochys a great manager ftr and williams is definitely still learning. but tell me why bochy made the right move and willians didnt