Author Topic: The Nats Thread  (Read 306246 times)

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: The Nats Thread
« Reply #525 on: November 23, 2014, 10:29:04 am »
i dont get all these articles tying the nats to scherzer

im sure to some degree its just boras fanning the flames to drive up the price but i really hope its not true.

if rizzo and the lerners are hesitant to give big money to jordan why give bigger money to an older pitcher? i get the idea of dangling zimmermann as trade bait to fill the 2b (or 3b) hole but then going out and spending money on a pitcher anyway? i dont see it.

vansmack

« Reply #526 on: November 23, 2014, 02:45:02 pm »
It could always be that Jordan Zimmerman isn't accepting an offer and wants to test free agency....

Generally speaking, if you're looking at trading someone the season before their contract is up, the team has come to the realization that no matter what they do, he's not going to take it.
27>34

imbecile

« Reply #527 on: November 24, 2014, 10:12:50 am »
Yeah, if does kinda seem like JZimm is interested in testing the market.

The Braves GM came out and said what we all assumed:  They traded Heyward because he was only interested in a two-year deal and wanted to test free agency.  Had to get what they could for him when they could.  This could very nearly be the identical situation the Nats are looking at with JZimm.

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #528 on: November 24, 2014, 10:25:34 am »
I think the Tigers are going to resign Scherzer at any price (or, at the very least offer him more money than anyone else; if he just hates Detroit there's nothing they can do there) and trade away Price to stock the farm system.
LVMH

shemptiness

« Reply #529 on: December 05, 2014, 03:17:56 pm »
Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth was found guilty of reckless driving today, five months after his Porsche 911 was clocked driving 105 mph in a 55 mph zone on the Beltway in Virginia. He loses his driver's license, and was sentenced to serve 10 days in jail, with the remaining 170 days suspended.

vansmack

« Reply #530 on: December 05, 2014, 08:22:35 pm »
Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth was found guilty of reckless driving today, five months after his Porsche 911 was clocked driving 105 mph in a 55 mph zone on the Beltway in Virginia. He loses his driver's license, and was sentenced to serve 10 days in jail, with the remaining 170 days suspended.

This belongs in the celebrity crime and scandal blog.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #531 on: December 09, 2014, 06:37:28 pm »
Dan (Milwaukee)

There are some rumors out there that the Nats might be in on Scherzer. If they get that deal done and then look to move Zimmermann or Fister what are they looking for in return? Just a prospect package? They seem pretty set besides second.

David Schoenfield  (3:40 PM)

Yeah, that's my guess. Starting lining up prospects to replace Strasburg and Harper after they sign with the Yankees.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #532 on: December 09, 2014, 07:12:31 pm »
Dan (Milwaukee)

There are some rumors out there that the Nats might be in on Scherzer. If they get that deal done and then look to move Zimmermann or Fister what are they looking for in return? Just a prospect package? They seem pretty set besides second.

David Schoenfield  (3:40 PM)

Yeah, that's my guess. Starting lining up prospects to replace Strasburg and Harper after they sign with the Yankees.
interesting

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #533 on: December 09, 2014, 08:03:15 pm »
i think we're more likely to see rizzo sign jordan and shop strasburg. zimmermann is the better pitcher now but with strasburgs ceiling, the low chance of resigning him, and an extra year of control, the return there could be better for the nats.

im also expecting a clippard trade at some point, but maybe thats too obvious a move. with the miller/robertson signings its pretty clear clippard wont be with the nats after 2015. i just dont see them paying that kind of money for an 8th inning guy

word is lesters decision is coming as soon as tonight. thatll set the starting pitching market and clear things up a bit for the nats

shemptiness

« Reply #534 on: December 15, 2014, 10:09:23 am »
2 year deal for Harper

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #535 on: December 15, 2014, 10:22:41 am »
2 year deal for Harper
I'm never clear on what contracts mean or not... But wasn't his current deal through 2018? So now he's here til at least 2017? I'm confused.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #536 on: December 15, 2014, 03:09:05 pm »
2 year deal for Harper
I'm never clear on what contracts mean or not... But wasn't his current deal through 2018? So now he's here til at least 2017? I'm confused.

Yes, this is not an extension.  He wasn't even arbitration eligible until next season, and a free agent until after the 2018 season.  The Nats agreed to pay him more than league minimum his first 5 seasons - they can renegotiate after 2016 or let him go to arbitration then.

This just clears up an issue that arose when he first signed with the Nats - there wasn't clarity between the organization and Boras as the deadline was approaching as to the duration of the contract (the language was left out of the final paperwork).  Boras thought Harper could opt out (and renegotiate), the Nats felt he couldn't and had to play through the term.

The players association filed a grievance on his behalf, and they were scheduled to go to an arbitrator tomorrow.  This two year deal extends Harper's existing deal one extra year (through 2016) in exchange for not opting out.  The Nats and Harper will be back at this in 2 years.

His missing fanfest however, was inexcusable.  He's a Nat through 2018 and citing a legal dispute about how much he's getting paid makes me dislike him even more.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:11:56 pm by vansmack »
27>34

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #537 on: December 15, 2014, 03:27:01 pm »
I don't dislike him. I think he needs to earn his stripes. Him getting standing ovations for general at bats is fucking stupid. The city or "baseball fans" seem to love him. I think it's shitty for him to miss the NatsFest over a contract negotiation.

We'll see if he can produce in the regular season...
‼‼?‼‼

hutch

« Reply #538 on: December 15, 2014, 04:01:59 pm »
2 year deal for Harper

Yes, this is not an extension.  He wasn't even arbitration eligible until next season, and a free agent until after the 2018 season.  The Nats agreed to pay him more than league minimum his first 5 seasons - they can renegotiate after 2016 or let him go to arbitration then.

This just clears up an issue that arose when he first signed with the Nats - there wasn't clarity between the organization and Boras as the deadline was approaching as to the duration of the contract (the language was left out of the final paperwork).  Boras thought Harper could opt out (and renegotiate), the Nats felt he couldn't and had to play through the term.

The players association filed a grievance on his behalf, and they were scheduled to go to an arbitrator tomorrow.  This two year deal extends Harper's existing deal one extra year (through 2016) in exchange for not opting out.  The Nats and Harper will be back at this in 2 years.

His missing fanfest however, was inexcusable.  He's a Nat through 2018 and citing a legal dispute about how much he's getting paid makes me dislike him even more.

people will keep saying "he's young"...

when is that excuse going to end?

stevewizzle

« Reply #539 on: December 15, 2014, 04:31:17 pm »
2 year deal for Harper

people will keep saying "he's young"...

when is that excuse going to end?

when he's not young anymore