Author Topic: Music Survey about DC  (Read 24744 times)

bellenseb

Re: Music Survey about DC
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2004, 11:37:00 am »
I was shocked when I moved to DC, land of a thousand colleges, and there was no college radio (there's UMD, but the signal doesn't get much beyond the UMD campus).

It would be great to have college radio, or hell, even a AAA station or one of these new "classic alternative" stations.

But, with a large-capacity mp3 player in my car shuffilng my whole collection, and some people getting satellite radio, it's not the urgency it used to be.

Would be good for the community and scene to have a local music outlet that didn't suck, though.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2004, 11:40:00 am »
Originally posted by Rutherford J. Balls:
  I'll bet your cd collection is way better than their playlist. C'mon, do most of us over 22 really listen to more than a couple of bands on this list?

http://www.whfs.com/most_played.php
Ugh.  What a horrible list.  With a list like that, what makes HFS any different from DC101 or 98Rock?

Bags

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2004, 11:45:00 am »
  I'll bet your cd collection is way better than their playlist. C'mon, do most of us over 22 really listen to more than a couple of bands on this list?

I listen to four.  Six, if you count the Strokes and Jet, but I don't have albums by either band.

That's exactly what I said, that the area's alternative radio is skewed for a super young audience.  If I'm stuck somewhere and have to listen to radio, I'll take "hot adult alternative" 104.1 or DC 101.  

I think it's a no win for me.  There are probably one five or six cities in the country that have a radio station I'd really listen to, so it doesn't matter much.  But, if they want to try, bless 'em.

redsock

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2004, 12:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

I listen to four.  Six, if you count the Strokes and Jet, but I don't have albums by either band.

That's exactly what I said, that the area's alternative radio is skewed for a super young audience.  If I'm stuck somewhere and have to listen to radio, I'll take "hot adult alternative" 104.1 or DC 101.  

I think it's a no win for me.  There are probably one five or six cities in the country that have a radio station I'd really listen to, so it doesn't matter much.  But, if they want to try, bless 'em. [/b]
Get XM, it changed my life. I could never live without it now...

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2004, 12:12:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  Get XM, it changed my life. I could never live without it now...
That's what I've heard from everyone I know who has it.  I'm getting it for the SO for his birthday next month. Can't wait to hear it.

Bags

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2004, 12:34:00 pm »
Seriously?  XM?  It's so hard to imagine I'm gonna pay for radio (I appall my friends by refusing to get more than basic cable; $100 a month for t.v. seems insane), and then that they have more than one or two stations -- though, I will say, I LOVE Spinner online.  Don't know if that's at all comparable...  Maybe I should look into it.

bellenseb

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2004, 12:40:00 pm »
Spinner online has a dozen indie-oriented stations alone. It's almost too much choice, and it's great.

XM has some appeal, but from what I can tell there's only one "alternative" station. So, I'm not too likely to pony up for it.

I've love it if XM or Sirius had feeds from some of the nation's great stations (WFMU, KCRW, the best of college radio, etc.)

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2004, 12:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  XM has some appeal, but from what I can tell there's only one "alternative" station. So, I'm not too likely to pony up for it.

I'm looking at the brouchure and it shows:

xmu - new music
 fred - deep classic alternative
 cafe - modern/soft alternative
 ethel - 90's and today's alternative rock
 squizz - hard alternative
 fine tuning - eclectic (?)
 fungus - punk/hardcore/ska
 lucy - classic alternative hits

I'm not sure what the differences are, but there seems to be quite a few alternative stations.

Of course, the reason we're getting it is because the SO is drooling over the Nascar station.

Joymonster

• MySpace
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2004, 12:48:00 pm »

I think it's a no win for me.  There are probably one five or six cities in the country that have a radio station I'd really listen to, so it doesn't matter much.  But, if they want to try, bless 'em. [/b]
Get XM, it changed my life. I could never live without it now... [/b]
I can definitely agree with that! They play loads of stuff that I've never heard before and much more.

Bags

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2004, 12:53:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Spinner online has a dozen indie-oriented stations alone. It's almost too much choice, and it's great.

Exactly my worry.....

There appear to be three stations I'd listen to regularly, and Lucy and Fred both play stuff I own:

54  Lucy, Classic Alt Hits
 43  XMU, New Music
 44  Fred, Classic Alternative

I'm sure I'd occasionally listen to some talk or some acoustic, American standards, lounge, classical...but I'm not sure it's worth paying for.

Redsock, I'm curious to hear what you love about it and if you listen to many stations or found a couple that are just right for you.

mankie

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2004, 01:05:00 pm »

[qb]  [/b]
Get XM, it changed my life. I could never live without it now... [/b]
I second that...XM is the only way to go. My roady had to be shipped out for warranty exchange so was without XM for a couple of weeks and if I forgot to grab a cd just had silence in the car... I couldn't even listen to the fm shit. Just got the roady back today..YEAH!

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2004, 01:12:00 pm »
I want a music radio station where the DJ doesn't try to always sound so hip, mellow & with-it.  In point of fact, I'd prefer a radio station without a DJ at all.   If it was possible, maybe some kind of Max Headroom/Stephen Hawking vocoder-thingee could do all the intros...so's you'd know what was playing at a given time.  I'd buy that for a dollar!

redsock

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2004, 01:17:00 pm »
  Seriously?  XM?  It's so hard to imagine I'm gonna pay for radio (I appall my friends by refusing to get more than basic cable; $100 a month for t.v. seems insane), and then that they have more than one or two stations -- though, I will say, I LOVE Spinner online.  Don't know if that's at all comparable...  Maybe I should look into it.
Spinner online? Tell me more....

Bags

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2004, 01:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
  In point of fact, I'd prefer a radio station without a DJ at all.    
You're talking about Spinner.com.  Too bad it's internet and not satellite.

Redsock, spinner.com is an online music site with about....175 channels.  And they're split into much more specific channels: 80s Alternative, 90s Alernative, Alternative Mix, New Alternative.  And they also have new wave, hardcore, ska, punk, electronic, chill, Indie (as in 80s indie, 90s indie, new indie, indie mix...).  

No commercials, you sign up and download the spinner player.  You can set up your favorite stations so they're in a pop up list on your player -- and you can have up to 40 favorites, which is tons. It gives a "coming up" listing when you float the cursor over it, which is cool as hell, and you can see what's playing on other stations when you float your cursor over them!!!!  

I've sworn by it at work, though I had some computer issues and don't have it right now.  I've been listening to KEXP and WOXY on my realaudio, but I miss my spinner.

OOPS. I was just looking it up, and now spinner is "Radio@Netscape Plus"!!!???  Here's a FAQ, but I don't know what this means for spinner:

Migration FAQ

Q: Is Spinner going away?

A: Spinner is not going away, it's simply moving to Netscape and becoming fully integrated with the AOL Music platform. While the player and Web site have a new look and feel, you will enjoy listening to the same great stations programmed by the same people who brought them the Spinner service, and convenient access to the same functionality, detailed music information and more.

Q: Why are you shutting down Spinner?

A: Combining the Spinner and Netscape Music services allows us to bring you even more great programming and features, providing you with a one-stop-shop for all of your radio and music needs.

Q: What is the new player called?

A: The Netscape Player is called "Radio@Netscape Plus". It is powered by Spinner programming and technology.

Q: Do I need to have the Netscape browser in order to use Radio@Netscape Plus?

A: Radio@Netscape Plus is a stand-alone program. What this means is that you do not need a specific browser in order to use the player. Just think of Radio@Netscape Plus like your current Spinner player, but with a different face on it. Everything else functions the same as it currently does.

Q: Does Radio@Netscape Plus offer the same features as Spinner?

A: Radio@Netscape Plus offers the same great features you love on Spinner, including synchronized song information, 40 station pre-sets, "Now Playing", "Coming Soon", "Related Stations", "Top 25" station pages, an equalizer, song ratings, detailed artist information and a "toolbar" listening mode.

Q: Are there any enhancements to the new player?

A: Radio@Netscape Plus features a new design that offers enhanced station navigation, and adds new programming that was not previously available on Spinner, including local radio stations, a dedicated AP News station, and sports programming.

Q: Where can I download Radio@Netscape Plus?

A: Click here to check out Radio@Netscape Plus.

Q: Is Radio@Netscape Plus free?

A: Yes! There is no charge for this player.

Q: What will happen to my Spinner stations?

A: Radio@Netscape Plus is programmed by the same DJs (Mark, Cameo, Michele K-Tel, Stan, Catherine, Davey D & more) that programmed Spinner for the last few years. Same great DJs, same great programming!

Q: What will happen to the Spinner Web site?

A: The Spinner.com Web site will become part of Netscape's Music Channel. Visitors will have convenient access to the Radio@Netscape players, the same "Now Playing" listings, station and artist information pages, and DJ bios that Spinner has. It also features exclusive content such as "First Listens", music video premieres and more.

Q: How does this affect Mac and Linux users?

A: Mac and Linux users are still able to listen to our programming via an updated version of Spinner's Station Sampler player by visiting the Netscape Music Channel.

Q: What if I have comments or concerns?

A: If you have any trouble downloading, need technical support or have any questions/comments you'd like to bring to our attention, please email NSRadioHelp@aol.com.

markie

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2004, 01:58:00 pm »
I find that putting my ipod on random and plugging it into the auxillary socket in the car a pretty good way to go. No annoying adverts or Djs and guaranteed hits of the 80s every single song.

Its not a good way of discovering new music, but that is what WOXY, POLLARD and support slots are for.