Author Topic: Sonar  (Read 2240 times)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
Sonar
« on: October 25, 2005, 07:16:00 pm »
I got a question for all you'se ever-knowing forumites.

I'd love to go see The Redwalls on 11/19, and so I'm trying to figure out some logistical stuff.  Given that none of us can drive, and I'm not sure that any parents would want to drop us (Baltimore is kind of far); does anybody know if any metro's or trains go from Bethesda or DC to Sonar, and how late they run?  Anything you can tell me at all will be greatly appreciated...thanks...

Random Citizen

Re: Sonar
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 07:43:00 pm »
Well, the MARC doesn't run on weekends, so your only option would be Amtrak via Union Station (DC) to Baltimore's Penn Station. If your parents are freaked about you standing in line at the 9:30 Club, I seriously doubt your parents are going to like the idea of you taking a train to B'more and waiting in a station for an Amtrak late at night.

Sailor Ripley

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 08:55:00 am »
Not easy. You've got the Amtrak option or you could get creative: Super Shuttle from DC to BWI airport then take the Light Rail into B-more.  Not sure how late the Light Rail runs though.  Probably only worthwhile if you've got a big group to split the costs.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 10:34:00 am »
and if you go with amtrak, be sure to check out their schedule. . .sometimes the last train leaves penn station around 12:30, other times the last one leaves at 1:30. . .but, as said above, marc doesn't run on weekends, so. .

if you really wanted to go, you'd either metro to union station, get on an amtrak, get off at penn station. . .then, take the last amtrak train to union station, and, if timed correctly, you should be able to get on metro at union station before it closes.  otherwise, collect money and take a supershuttle or get a driver like it was prom.
OU812

Sir HC

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2005, 10:37:00 am »
Remember too that Sonar is not right there by Penn Station.  You will have to take a taxi to get to Sonar from there.  

Check out what is playing at the Charles theater and maybe you can get some parents to go there for dinner and a movie while y'all are at Sonar.

http://www.thecharles.com/

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2005, 06:20:00 pm »
Very true that Penn Station is not all that close to Sonar. In fact, it's pretty much on the other side of downtown. Not a big stretch, mile wise, but not around the corner either.

Your very best option, if it can be done, is to find a friend with a car and buy them a ticket for the show.

Like too many other places, Baltimore's transportation tends to shut down much earlier than it's nightlife. Some of it is not very safe either and cabs will cost you a pretty penny...and a few dollars. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that the local end is much less safe than DC's Metro, based on my experiences. While cabs are much safer, they alone will probably be more than the price of a ticket for the show once you figure in round trip and tips.

BTW, Baltimore's MTA just rerouted and dropped some bus lines so be very careful about any guides that you use. I think the changes just happened this past week.

While I honestly can't speak for Sonar, most of the clubs in Baltimore that offer live bands tend to work their sets backwards from closing time, which is usually 2:00AM. If and when they do allow a little time after the headliner, it's not by much. By then, other than cabs, all transportation is pretty much shut down. And in Baltimore, it's not very safe either, regardless of what Charm City's (or Harm Shitty's) Bureau of Tourism would like you to believe. Sorry to say but I would have to fully take your parents' side on that fearful debate, especially for such a youngin' as yourself. In fact, I myself avoid as much exposure to downtown Baltimore as I can because it's not a safe city at all. And when I do go, I take every bit of street smarts with me. Plus I have the advantage of knowing the city pretty well in case I take some wrong turn (which happens with some of it's twisted streets and detours). Also, I tend to know which particular streets and sections might be a little safer than others not to mention a bit of experience with dealing with a lot of street garbage which I prefer to avoid if and when possible. Ugh! And there is a lot of it not too far from Sonar.

Again, in the end, your best bet is to make friends with a few concert goers with cars whom you can tag along with, at least for the ride, who would appreciate the cost of their venture offset by some extra passangers.