Author Topic: So, how was The HITCHIKERS GUIDE movie?  (Read 2489 times)

So, how was The HITCHIKERS GUIDE movie?
« on: May 11, 2005, 11:53:00 am »
Is it as bad as I thought?

thirsty moore

Re: So, how was The HITCHIKERS GUIDE movie?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 11:56:00 am »
I thought it was funny, but I don't hold either the book or the radio series near and dear.

helicon1

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 11:58:00 am »
Originally posted by Ellis D. Fleischbach:
  Is it as bad as I thought?
If you've never read the book, listened to the radio series or watched the BBC version, you will enjoy it.

But they took major liberties with rearranging the story, didn't emphasis on the overall philosophy and it felt very rushed.

It's worth seeing though. The acting is decent and it looks great. Also, the new theme song "So Long and thanks for all the fish" is fun!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 12:13:00 pm »
haven't seen it yet, but my brother-in-law who can quote large chucks of the book did and enjoyed it.

http://www.exhibit5a.com/?p=861
T.Rex

Sir HC

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 12:22:00 pm »
View it as its own thing.  From what I understand, Douglas Adams was involved in the changes (the addition of the whole Malkovich character, well really bringing him in this early).  I would say 50% of the movie was not in the books, but it works well as an entertaining diversion.  Actors work well in their roles, they do a good job on making the 2 heads work without paper mache.

LRHippo

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 12:34:00 pm »
Ever incarnation the story has taken over the years has been different then the ones previous. This move holding true to that. It was good. I enjoyed it and will be seeing it again. As others have stated, it did feel a bit rushed, they added/took away and changed the order. But the story is still there and done very well.

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 12:34:00 pm »
It sounds awful...

Got Haggis?

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 12:38:00 pm »
i thought it was good...read the books years ago

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 02:46:00 pm »
I bleebs I'll wait for the DVD to come out.

Sir HC

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 05:05:00 pm »
I hope they do the DVD right with a bunch of asides from the guide set up at your fingertips.

Oh, and Trillian really reminds me of Lois Lane from the Superman movies.

flawd101

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2005, 05:26:00 pm »
i think the movie was great.  i saw the tv mvie and didnt like it...i would definately recomend it if star wars wasnt in a week! ahhhh  

but before the movie they showed a preview for kirby the love bug....that looks like the bigest piece of shit ever.  i was about to cry it was o bad.  it has lindesy lohan so people will go and se it.  that is what hurts...people will actually go and see this movie.  i think i would feel better passed out in a prison shower then if i was to see that movie...

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2005, 05:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by flawd101:
 it has lindesy lohan so people will go and se it.  that is what hurts...people will actually go and see this movie.  i think i would feel better passed out in a prison shower then if i was to see that movie...
well, it's co-written by thomas lennon and ben garant (of 'the state' infamy) ... unfortunately the last thing they wrote was 'taxi', but i consider thomas lennon one of the funniest people alive.
(o|o)

calecp01

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2005, 06:18:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

Originally posted by flawd101:
 it has lindesy lohan so people will go and se it.  that is what hurts...people will actually go and see this movie.  i think i would feel better passed out in a prison shower then if i was to see that movie...
well, it's co-written by thomas lennon and ben garant (of 'the state' infamy) ... unfortunately the last thing they wrote was 'taxi', but i consider thomas lennon one of the funniest people alive. [/b]
I fear that The State DVD box set will never see the light of day!

I've read the first book twice and the second book once, many years ago.  Really enjoyed the movie, Sam Rockwell stole the show.  It didn't seem to me like 50% was new, but then again, it's been a long time.

-cale

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 10:56:00 am »
Saw Hitchikers this weekend and quite enjoyed it... The animations for the Hitchikers guide segments were fab with Stephen Fry doing the narration. The scenes in the planet factory were stunning...  The Volgons were cleverly  crafted as well.  Kosmette points out some of the orginial dialog was trimmed so maybe there will be a directors cut.
T.Rex

Sir HC

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 11:49:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Saw Hitchikers this weekend and quite enjoyed it... The animations for the Hitchikers guide segments were fab with Stephen Fry doing the narration. The scenes in the planet factory were stunning...  The Volgons were cleverly  crafted as well.  Kosmette points out some of the orginial dialog was trimmed so maybe there will be a directors cut.
+1 one the animation.  Reminded me of the CD artwork by Lemon Jelly.