Author Topic: Billy Joel keeps crank  (Read 906 times)

Billy Joel keeps crank
« on: January 19, 2006, 08:48:00 am »
...-ing out tour dates

The latest additions to Joel's schedule are March 4 and April 19 concerts at New York City's Madison Square Garden, and an April 22 show in Hartford, CT. Tickets for the March 4 show are on sale now, while those for the April 19 Big Apple date and the new Hartford stop will hit the box office on Saturday (1/21).
 The tour, which is Joel's first major solo outing since the late '90s, kicked off earlier this month. So far, the piano man has played four dates in Florida, and will spend much of the next 10 weeks jetting back and forth between Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Hartford. The native New Yorker now has a total of 11 hometown shows lined up at Madison Square Garden, and four Hartford engagements, as well as five Philadelphia concerts and three Boston performances. Details are included below.

In a review published Monday (1/16), the Miami Herald described Joel's Sunday (1/16) concert as a "rollicking, rocking roundup of the Piano Man's greatest hits" culled "from almost every album," including "Angry Young Man," "Ballad of Billy the Kid," "New York State of Mind," "You May Be Right," "It's Still Rock 'n' Roll to Me," "We Didn't Start the Fire," "River of Dreams," "My Life," "Pressure," "I Go to Extremes," "Only the Good Die Young," "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" and more.

Joel's solo outing in part supports "My Lives," a box set that Columbia Records issued last November. The four-disc collection chronicles Joel's career "from his early '60s Long Island bar bands through his biggest hits to his most recent classical compositions," according to a press release. The set includes demos, live cuts, alternate takes, covers and more.

In addition to the audio discs, the set includes a DVD of Joel's June 18, 1994 concert in Frankfurt, Germany. More details about the set are posted at his website.