Author Topic: VOXTROT ROLL CALL, BITCHES!!!  (Read 7665 times)

kookiemnstr8

Re: VOXTROT ROLL CALL, BITCHES!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 10:01:00 am »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  oh my GOOD GOD.  the show was AWESOME.

other than the fact that we got there at 5:30 in the cold rain to attempt to get the tickets that they wouldn't give us until 7:30, and had some time to kill (and then the show didn't even start till after 9)...
Because that damn radio station doesn't know when to tell people to get there.  Oh well, we got excellent sandwiches to make up for it.

I thought the show was great despite the TERRIBLE terrible sound.  But hey, I wasn't expecting much in that department.  This is one band that really lives up to the hype they've been starting to recieve.  I think they're the real deal.

Both bands were definitely enjoying themselves and the new stuff from Voxtrot sounds superb.  I picked up the new EP last night, and while I don't like it as much as Raised by Wolves on first listen, I have a feeling it is definitely going to grow to be well loved.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 12:52:00 pm »
what a bizarre venue ... that place used to be part of an enormous cafeteria, definitely felt like a "multi-purpose" room, and not a rock club ... BYOB was nice, a couple of rent-a-cops just sat in the back laughing at kids, didn't much care about anything else

i liked irving, really liked voxtrot, but i couldn't stop thinking about how much they sounded like other bands ... irving had a song that was a dead ringer for the cure's "close to me" (same drumbeat, keyboards, everything), and voxtrot had one that sounded exactly like "just like heaven" (almost like the dino jr cover) and another that mimicked the guitar line from "this charming man" to a T ... either way, they were both really fun and perservered through some really muddy sound

the guys in irving were really nice ... they were all staying at my friend's place, and we tried to go out to townhouse tavern afterwards but of course couldn't find anywhere to park the van/trailer ... oh well, good times

oh, i couldn't believe when the voxtrot guy asked how many people there went to georgetown, it was maybe 10 or 15 kids, and half of them were helping put the show on ... pretty pathetic
(o|o)

Tom Servo

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 02:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
  what a bizarre venue ... that place used to be part of an enormous cafeteria, definitely felt like a "multi-purpose" room, and not a rock club ... BYOB was nice, a couple of rent-a-cops just sat in the back laughing at kids, didn't much care about anything else
I agree with everything Hoya said.  I even made the same Cure comment to my girlfriend.

It was funny walking up to the place.  They called it the Riverside Lounge, but after seeing it I think the real name is the "Riverside Study Lounge."  I had to take a picture of the dorm next door - it was funny to be watching the show and also be able to see right into someone's kitchen.  And I did like the byob.  

I thought both bands were good, but I honestly liked Irving more than Voxtrot.  Crisper sound, catchier tunes, more harmonies.  Voxtrot seemed to have more trouble with the sound, I thought it was fine for Irving after the early adjustments.  Between the muffled sound and the low lead vocal in the mix, I just didn't get as much personality from Voxtrot but I'd like to give them another try in a different venue after I listen to the EP.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2006, 03:14:00 pm »
Originally posted by Tom Servo:

Originally posted by HoyaSaxa03:
I agree with everything Hoya said.  I even made the same Cure comment to my girlfriend.

It was funny walking up to the place.  They called it the Riverside Lounge, but after seeing it I think the real name is the "Riverside Study Lounge."  I had to take a picture of the dorm next door - it was funny to be watching the show and also be able to see right into someone's kitchen.  And I did like the byob.  

I thought both bands were good, but I honestly liked Irving more than Voxtrot.  Crisper sound, catchier tunes, more harmonies.  Voxtrot seemed to have more trouble with the sound, I thought it was fine for Irving after the early adjustments.  Between the muffled sound and the low lead vocal in the mix, I just didn't get as much personality from Voxtrot but I'd like to give them another try in a different venue after I listen to the EP. [/b]
Well, Irving have been playing around for a much longer time.  So that's probably why.

Did you see the dude who was essentially naked in the dorm right accross from the "lounge"?  I was amused.

Tom Servo

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2006, 03:24:00 pm »
  Did you see the dude who was essentially naked in the dorm right accross from the "lounge"?  I was amused.
No, missed that guy.  Fortunately.  I did think it was cool that most of the dorm apartments kept their blinds open, probably makes everyone more social.

ggw

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2006, 07:23:00 pm »
It definitely had that "high-school A/V Club puts on a show in the conference room at the local Ramada Inn" vibe to it, but I thought both bands were great.

I knew very little of Irving and was pleasantly surprised.  Very poppy.  I thought Voxtrot delivered on their promise -- acoustic issues notwithstanding.

I also thought about the Cure during Voxtrot's set.  And I can't hear 'The Start of Something' without the Housemartins' 'Happy Hour Again' popping into my head.

phatsmack101

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2006, 11:43:00 pm »
in defense of georgetown, we booked Voxtrot last minute, so we got a pretty crappy venue. Two weeks ago, we had a really awesome venue called the Black Box that is a lot like the black cat, but it was taken for that night. We're working on continuing to bring more amazing indie bands as well. Even though it's not suppose to be a public event, the Hold Steady will be playing in late april. It will completely free since it's suppose to be only for georgetown students. It'll be part of a student festival.

and really, there's no excuse for the sound. but hey, we're a bunch of college kids trying to bring alternative music to an otherwise mainstream campus. so deal with us. keep on checking www.georgetownradio.com for more updates about on campus shows.

akaash

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2006, 11:53:00 pm »
Am I the only one who thought that there were some people in the audience who were just REALLY obnoxious?

Other than that though, amazing show by Voxtrot.

kookiemnstr8

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2006, 07:27:00 am »
Originally posted by akaash:
  Am I the only one who thought that there were some people in the audience who were just REALLY obnoxious?

Oh lord.  Please do not get Betty and I started on probably the only two obnoxious frat boys in the place, who decided to stand right behind us.

And GU radio guy, I don't think anyone is blaming you for the sound, it is inevitably going to be bad, through no fault of any of the "staff."  I think we're all grateful to you guys for getting this together and finding a way for this show to actually go on.

you be betty

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2006, 09:56:00 am »
Originally posted by Graace:

Originally posted by akaash:

Oh lord.  Please do not get Betty and I started on probably the only two obnoxious frat boys in the place, who decided to stand right behind us.

And GU radio guy, I don't think anyone is blaming you for the sound, it is inevitably going to be bad, through no fault of any of the "staff."  I think we're all grateful to you guys for getting this together and finding a way for this show to actually go on. [/b]
Oh, do you mean the guys that came and stood directly in your spots when you were peeing (and made things totally awkward, to say the least)?  It was weird...the front was filled with mostly people that clearly adored Voxtrot (at least where we were standing, you could hear everyone singing along)...and then these out-of-place-as-hell guys come up and decide to be assholes.
 It wasn't even the funny type of, "FREEBIRD!" assholes- they were just assholes.

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2006, 09:59:00 am »
Don't you hate it when people with the wrong hairstyles and clothes go to see your favorite bands? Sure sign that your band has jumped the shark.

you be betty

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2006, 10:02:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakajima, Fired by Mascis:
  Don't you hate it when people with the wrong hairstyles and clothes go to see your favorite bands? Sure sign that your band has jumped the shark.
Hopefully that wasn't geared towards me, because I'm the last person on earth to judge...

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 10:11:00 am »
Did your friend Grace see Greek letters on what the "frat boys" were wearing, or does she just make sweeping generalizations that any obnoxious college aged guy must be in a fraternity?

Hopefully that wasn't geared towards me, because I'm the last person on earth to judge... [/b]

you be betty

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 10:19:00 am »
  Did your friend Grace see Greek letters on what the "frat boys" were wearing, or does she just make sweeping generalizations that any obnoxious college aged guy must be in a fraternity?

Hopefully that wasn't geared towards me, because I'm the last person on earth to judge... [/b]
[/b]
I don't know.  No one was putting down fraternitys...my brother is in a frat at UMD and he's my best friend and my favorite person in the world.  So I don't know.  I think she just said what she did because, well, they were being assholes.  I apologize if you were offended.  But nobody here would be bashing these guys if they had done anything other than just be jerks, and they were being really rude to us.  So I don't really know what else to tell you.

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2006, 10:25:00 am »
Hey, no problem.

Jerks can come in all sizes, sexes, colors, and clothing. I just got back from Spain, and believe it or not, there are as many rude assholes there as there are in America.

[/b]
I don't know.  No one was putting down fraternitys...my brother is in a frat at UMD and he's my best friend and my favorite person in the world.  So I don't know.  I think she just said what she did because, well, they were being assholes.  I apologize if you were offended.  But nobody here would be bashing these guys if they had done anything other than just be jerks, and they were being really rude to us.  So I don't really know what else to tell you. [/b]