Author Topic: bands that ought to be covered more?  (Read 3334 times)

Sir HC

Re: bands that ought to be covered more?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2005, 12:06:00 pm »
Originally posted by Doctor Doom:
  heh... many many times have I made the mistake of touching guitar strings and mic at the same time, and received a horrifying electrical jolt due to polarity issues.

One time I saw a sound dude at the old 930 use one of those little continuity testers -- the things with two leads that light up if there's power -- to test if there was a circuit between instruments and mic stand.   That thing lit up like Rudolph's nose on Xmas eve.
Usually it is the amp that is the problem.  Some of those old amps have a reverse-polarity switch that makes the chassis live with 120 volts.  Yep, touch the amp and you can see sparks.  The mics are all well grounded with that system so you have 120V into ground, pow!  Fortunately the human body is usually a pretty poor conductor, and the current path in the amp is usually pretty high impedance so few deaths other than Keith Relf (sp) have occurred.

I have used a volt meter to see if the guitar is dangerous, another technique is touch strings to the mic and listen for a loud pop.  Another reason to use a wireless system.

Sir HC

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2005, 12:07:00 pm »
Can

Calla does a great cover and The Jesus and Mary Chain did a good one too.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2005, 12:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Sugartastic:

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 Big Star[/b]
I know you mean in general...but isn't there a tribute album (w/ their songs covered)? [/QB]
probably there's a tribute record out there for so many bands theses days... a songwriting friend of mine once said, that one of the best ways to learn how to write a great (pop) (rock) song is to listen to big star's 1st & 2nd record.
T.Rex

Crunchbird

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 04:04:00 pm »
I was actually just thinking this weekend that some of the current crop of indie pop bands and performers would benefit from adding a Prefab Sprout cover to their sets.  Pretty much any of the songs from  Swoon and about half from Steve McQueen (Two Wheels Good), would work.  Paddy McAloon was a hell of a song-writer, and a lot of his output would benefit from having some of the strings and keyboards and production layers scrubbed off.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2005, 05:53:00 am »
Originally posted by Crunchbird:
  I was actually just thinking this weekend that some of the current crop of indie pop bands and performers would benefit from adding a Prefab Sprout cover to their sets.  Pretty much any of the songs from  Swoon and about half from Steve McQueen (Two Wheels Good), would work.  Paddy McAloon was a hell of a song-writer, and a lot of his output would benefit from having some of the strings and keyboards and production layers scrubbed off.
DAMN YOU!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!   :mad:   How could you insult a great band like Pre-Fab by suggesting some skinny crack head talenless teenager destroy such beautiful songs.

Here's one....after suffering through Fix You on the radio today, I realized it's not such a bad song after all, and sung by Charlotte Church would be absolutely beautiful. Chris Martin is fucking useless. I can't help but bring myself to wail like a cat with it's tail on fire when that song is playing, and I don't sound too different from Martin himself.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2005, 07:22:00 am »
Originally posted by Sir HC:

Usually it is the amp that is the problem.  Some of those old amps have a reverse-polarity switch that makes the chassis live with 120 volts.  [/b]
Yeah, I have a 1964 vibrolux with a reverse-polarity switch.  What was the point of this switch, anyway?  It seems to have something to do with cutting hum.  Do modern amps not zap you?
_\|/_