Author Topic: RIP - Josh Burdette - thatguy  (Read 80725 times)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
Re: RIP - Josh Burdette - thatguy
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2013, 04:07:23 am »
Was just editing my contacts list in my S4 and saw Josh's name/number.  May not be able to delete that one for a while yet.
FUKIT

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2013, 06:52:37 am »
I never delete those

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2013, 08:13:20 am »
i was thinking that we should seize on the upwelling of good will and raise some money for a good cause.  every year josh the playoff beard thing for a children's charity.  another alternative might be for a mental health support institution/crisis prevention.
Kristin Brooks Hope Center has long been one of my three go-to charities and would seem apropos if rumors prove true.
LVMH

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2013, 01:55:29 pm »
It gave me chills to see Ross say that Josh's dragon tattoos WILL get their eyes. This is so beautiful.
3MTA3

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2013, 02:13:13 pm »
It gave me chills to see Ross say that Josh's dragon tattoos WILL get their eyes. This is so beautiful.

t'was indeed nice to read that.  this was the second biggest question i had about this whole situation...
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2013, 02:47:00 pm »

t'was indeed nice to read that.  this was the second biggest question i had about this whole situation...

where was that said?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2013, 02:59:25 pm »

where was that said?

ross wrote it on his FB page.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2013, 03:34:13 pm »
it is odd to me that there are people out there, people i never really knew, only knew of, and those people resonate when they depart.  i feel it is almost not even cool for me to discuss it, because i knew him not, that much.

bearman🐻

« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2013, 05:56:23 pm »
it is odd to me that there are people out there, people i never really knew, only knew of, and those people resonate when they depart.  i feel it is almost not even cool for me to discuss it, because i knew him not, that much.

Don't feel weird. Josh & I never really got to hang one on one outside of the club, but that doesn't make our interactions in life any less real. To me, every ounce of his being is genuine. I still need to think he's here, the goodness inside of him won't go away. Josh was/is a very humble guy, but he had to know on some level that he changed the energy inside of people. He stripped away the b.s. & brought out the realness, the flaws, the good things & the smiles in the people he came into contact with. The level of his power in doing that is almost not of this earth. At least I felt that way. This is my own badly-worded way of saying he's unique, special, and someone I felt incredibly drawn to. The grieving process is relieved a bit knowing that his dragons are getting their eyes.

Christine Moritz

« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2013, 09:48:22 pm »
Not sure if this has already been posted -- a nice letter to the editor in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/recalling-a-helping-hand-at-the-930-club/2013/09/04/ba92b778-1574-11e3-961c-f22d3aaf19ab_story.html

Letter to the Editor
Recalling a helping hand at the 9:30 club
Published: September 4

Regarding the Sept. 3 Metro obituary of Josh Burdette, ? ?That Guy? at D.C.?s 9:30 Club?:

A few years ago, with some trepidation, I let my teenage daughter go to her first concert at the 9:30 Club. Between skipping dinner and the crush of the crowd, she fainted. As she described it, this scary-looking guy scooped her up, took her to the back office and gave her some water. After confirming that she was dehydrated and not high, he chatted with her amiably while she composed herself. He was so kind during a difficult, embarrassing situation.

When I saw the story about Mr. Burdette?s death, I remembered his kindness and reminded myself not to judge people too quickly by appearances. His family should know that our family?s story was likely one of many. My thoughts are with them.

Kelly M. Price, Kensington

redsock

« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2013, 10:11:58 am »
Just reading this all now, was avoiding the forum on purpose for my own psychological issues. My Josh story is pretty meaningless given all the notes here, but it's from the first, maybe only?, Board Xmas holiday way back when, 2002 maybe?

We had a white elephant type swap and he showed up very late to the game with a couple of punk collections. There wasn't anything for him -- and he didn't care -- but he made sure someone got the CD's he brought. Pretty sure i got one. Should dig that out. Other than shaking his land, learning his name, and realizing he wasn't at all what I thought, there was little else I pulled from that occasion. Yet, after that he always nodded at me, even years later. He surely forgot who i was, but I'm sure he had an amazing memory of faces. Or maybe I just want to feel like he remembered my face.

It's been hard trying to explain this loss to my wife, who certainly knew who he was, but didn't understand his presence. I'm glad this thread exists.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2013, 02:52:19 pm »
Looks like Student Entertainment Enterprises (SEE) at University of Maryland has set up a scholarship fund in his name.

http://www.popville.com/2013/09/scholarship-fund-set-up-in-the-name-of-930-clubs-josh-burdette/

Donate here:

http://www.joshburdettememorial.umd.edu/givehelp.html
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:13:46 pm by grateful »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2013, 04:06:58 pm »
Looks like Student Entertainment Enterprises (SEE) at University of Maryland has set up a scholarship fund in his name.

http://www.popville.com/2013/09/scholarship-fund-set-up-in-the-name-of-930-clubs-josh-burdette/

i've been thinking about it, and i like this idea than raising funds for mental depression/crisis intervention/etc.  the former is what josh actually believed in, whereas the former is an expression of out grief at the loss.  any such memorial tribute should be about what josh would have wanted, not what we want because of the situation.

i'll be making a donation to this scholarship fund.
<sig>

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2013, 07:13:35 pm »

i've been thinking about it, and i like this idea than raising funds for mental depression/crisis intervention/etc.  the former is what josh actually believed in, whereas the former is an expression of out grief at the loss.  any such memorial tribute should be about what josh would have wanted, not what we want because of the situation.

i'll be making a donation to this scholarship fund.

Just clicked over to that site.  Noticed he following quote at the bottom of the manual contribution form.

"Gifts in support of the Josh Burdette ?98 Student Entertainment Events (SEE) Memorial Scholarship Fund will support the current use scholarship fund until the minimum threshold required to convert this fund to endowment is reached."

Anyone here know what that minimum amount is?  I have no idea if that is a UM policy thing, an accounting issue, both, neither.  However, it would be great of the fund could reach whatever amount it is.
FUKIT

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2013, 11:50:07 pm »
<sig>