Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1312731 times)

analogfossa

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #1965 on: May 06, 2016, 12:35:02 am »
That definitely sucks, Analog.  I was trying to give a ticket away on here earlier but had no takers.

Thanks Walky, I try. 
It wasn't so bad. I feel bad for the campers who had no place to stay and had to get an overpriced hotel room last minute. Agreed on the up to date concert posts of Killsaly concert updates.

killsaly

« Reply #1966 on: May 06, 2016, 01:56:36 am »
Well that was a fun three hours.  By the end over half of the people had already left.  Anton definitely lived up to his reputation, and talked shit to both audience members and band members.  I guess it is his show.  I wpuld definitely go see them again and I wish I knew more of their songs - the have a daunting back catalog of music.  Anyway the stuff I recognized was great; the new unreleased stuff was great; and the songs I didn't know were also great.  The crowd was mostly fine, but like I said, half couldn't hang.  "Oh look 9pm start time, it's gonna be an early night Jane." "Cheers Charles, we can go have a nightcap at your place."   "Ummmmm it's 11:30, I'm tired."  "Right.  Let's go."

Their shirt designs were sick.  They had this Mickey Mouse one... $40 though.  I asked the merch dealer what was up with that, and was told it was a special run of 100.  I decided to go with the less expensive but equally tight option of a girl pointing a gun.

Fan rant that I recorded for a few...

Part 1
https://instagram.com/p/BFDhtJcnegw/

Part 2
https://instagram.com/p/BFDhyPsneg7/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:16:10 am by killsaly »

hutch

« Reply #1967 on: May 06, 2016, 07:39:45 am »
i enjoyed your concert coverage Killsaly.. thanks...

betao

« Reply #1968 on: May 06, 2016, 08:18:38 am »
Really cool show. My 4th BJM show and they haven?t disappointed yet. I left around 11pm because I had to drive back to Richmond after, but I was happy with what I saw. Wish I could?ve stayed longer. Thought the sound was great.

Setlist included (in random order):
Never, Ever (they opened with this, great choice)
Nevertheless
Who?
Whatever Hippie Bitch
Goodbye (Butterfly)
Down (Anton and Joel solo)
That Girl Suicide
Sailor
When Jokers Attack
Anenome
Pish

The most ?Anton? moment of the show was him telling a patron ?Sorry, we don?t take requests, but Spotify takes requests, so fuck off?, or something along those lines. At the halfway point he told the crowd "I'm goign to take a smoke break, just turn that reverb back on, be back in a couple of minutes". He also said that they didn't really have a setlist they go by, they just pick about 40 or so songs and decide right there onstage what to play next. I

killsaly

« Reply #1969 on: May 06, 2016, 12:44:58 pm »
Really cool show. My 4th BJM show and they haven?t disappointed yet. I left around 11pm because I had to drive back to Richmond after, but I was happy with what I saw. Wish I could?ve stayed longer. Thought the sound was great.
Ah man I wish I would have known you were there... I would have liked to ave said hello.  They played until 12, which was pretty late even for us that live 30 minutes away.   

i enjoyed your concert coverage Killsaly.. thanks...
You are welcome.

hutch

« Reply #1970 on: May 08, 2016, 11:47:14 pm »
so glad I got a ticket for JohnStabbFundraiser Friday....

obivously sad he passed away but the entire night ended up being pretty special and look I'm home before midnight which is impotrant on Sunday night!

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #1971 on: May 09, 2016, 08:12:51 am »
Tell us more about it?

« Reply #1972 on: May 09, 2016, 08:54:46 am »
Tell us more about it?
yeah inquiring minds want to know
slack

hutch

« Reply #1973 on: May 09, 2016, 09:41:16 am »
well i got there and it had sold out.. and i had forgotten to print my ticket and don't have a cell phone currently.. but the black cat people went to the back office and got my ticket.. which was nice

i went in and some band was playing... the opener band.. i think one of the guys in the band works at the record store joint custody...anyways they were fine.... then someone got up and said a few words about john stabb.. there were shirts and posters.. i bought a cool john stabb shirt.. really just to support the family as i have a million shirts... but they did it have it in a medium... got to support that..

then j robbins came up with a band.. i guess he is the guy from jawbox...he did a lot of songs.. i think alec mackaye also joined in for a few songs.. about a song into j robbins the door in the back opens and ian mackaye walks in wearing his unmistakable hat.. takes a spot on the side.. he's really into getting side views isn't he? a few more songs in and thurston moore walks in... i guess alec and j robbins had some nice words to say about stabb....  anyways thurston moore is so talll...so there i am 2 feet from the stage and 15 feet from both thurston and ian..... moore hangs out for most of j robbins set...  then j robbins invites ian mackaye to come up.. ian comes up and talks about 5-10 minutes..  says some more really nice stuff about stabb....about the first time they met him.. about when he lived at dischord house... talks bout how he had been seeing him at the hospital...etc.... then i lose track but last songs from j robbins thurston moore comes up and does some punk song.. surely a stabb song but i don't know..i don't know much about the dc scene or bands really...one other guy also talked about how he got to live at the GI house even though he wasn't straight edge.... thurston sang the punk song with the lyrics in his hand

then a break.. moore comes up on stage with a drummer... says some more really nice words about stabb.. then moore does like a 20 minute thing i guess he calls "elegy for john stabb"..... my memory is not very good...as i was pounding the fosters oil cans... anyways it was the typical noise rock thing you'd expect from moore.. but not too loud... kind of soft.. i thought moore would do a full set but i clearly had no idea as the full set was by j robbins... anyways, moore did mention having left the states and settled in london which is why he didn't have a band with him.. i had no idea he had left.. he said something about trump (I guess how we might follow him out).... anyways once moore finished his 20 minute piece which was kind of moving he left the stage and went back.. obviously ian mackaye did not seem to stick around for moore.. but maybe he was just in the back... i went to the back and got thurston to sign my daydream nation (the 4 lp box) which i love...he was super cool...(i thought it might be awkward asking someone to sign at a "wake" so i was not entirely sure).. he told me i have a cool name.. which makes sense given my name is the same as his name! I was like "Thurston, WTF?"....i thanked him for coming. .he said it was nothing and "i would've come at the drop of a hat"

so that was it.. i noticed a lot of familiar faces but i don't know who they were... two people said hi to me but i did not know who they were.. one woman in paritcular when i figure out who it was i'm really going to feel very very stupid...

note: I did not say "Thurston, WTF?"

sorry for the crap report.. that is all i got.. i did tape the whole thing..but don't know if i'll ever listen to it

bob72

« Reply #1974 on: May 09, 2016, 10:19:58 am »
i don't know much about the dc scene or bands really
I'm not trying to be a dick, I am truly curious... with this statement, what was your motivation for going?

I was on the fence for about a week on whether I should go or not. I don't know John, nor have I even owned any GI, then the news of his death surfaced and I suddenly felt that if I would have gone I would have been an outsider/intruder. Kind of like an man showing up at his ex-wife's new wedding.
PENIS

Space Freely

« Reply #1975 on: May 09, 2016, 10:24:51 am »
I'm not trying to be a dick, I am truly curious... with this statement, what was your motivation for going?

I was on the fence for about a week on whether I should go or not. I don't know John, nor have I even owned any GI, then the news of his death surfaced and I suddenly felt that if I would have gone I would have been an outsider/intruder. Kind of like an man showing up at his ex-wife's new wedding.

I didn't go, but if I had, my motivation would have been...

1. That my dollars were supporting the family
2. If they wanted it to be a private family/friends only affair, they wouldn't have offered tickets to the public. Everyone was invited, essentially.

hutch

« Reply #1976 on: May 09, 2016, 10:27:29 am »

oh well i know something about it...i have lived in DC since 1993 and seen a lot of DC bands...

my motivation was to support John Stabb's family.. my best friend died of cancer last year...and I thought "hey i can go and it will be kind of like doing something good for my friend and for somebody else".. like good karma.. at the end of the day they were trying to raise money for Stabb's family...they knew he was dying... so I wouldn't let the feeling like an "outsider" ever get in the way of doing a solid.. i mean they defintely wanted people to come.. my guess is if they had gotten more people they might have moved it upstairs.. it was a fundraiser

my second motivation was i like the black cat dc scene so i thought this was a good chance to be a part of that.... for example i didn't know much about scream but then went to see them in 2009 at the black cat and it was one of the best shows i've ever seen...and i liked seeing the dc scene and being a part of it..if only through the viewfinder

my third motivation was i saw thurston moore was playing and i've seen him a few times and always enjoyed it

my fourth motivation was if i don't get out of my house soon i'm going to go postal..

hutch

« Reply #1977 on: May 09, 2016, 10:34:07 am »
ALso, i might have felt maybe a bit more conflicted about going if i had bought my ticket after learning of his death.. but i bought it before his death...I really just thought to myself "they're having a local benefit concerning cancer" and there will be music and its a DC scene thing and its only $15... its not as if they're asking for a lot.. why not go?

I think that was some of my thought process.. but I can expand if necessary.. ;D

bob72

« Reply #1978 on: May 09, 2016, 10:49:20 am »
ALso, i might have felt maybe a bit more conflicted about going if i had bought my ticket after learning of his death
my thoughts exactly.

the gofundme page is still up so I'm going to put some money in there.
PENIS