Author Topic: Post Show Banter >>>>  (Read 1314507 times)

Relaxer

Re: Post Show Banter >>>>
« Reply #2355 on: December 12, 2016, 12:26:17 pm »
Yeah, I loved NP and that was the reason for going to the show. I gave RHH a half hour and then decided to head out.
oword

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #2356 on: December 12, 2016, 01:21:39 pm »
Saw Parquet Court at the Knockdown Center in Queens.  Highly recommend catching them in DC or Baltimore in February.    Other bands that played at this event included DC band Flasher, X_X, Vanity, Lee Ranaldo (Sonic Youth), and Guerilla Toss.

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2357 on: December 15, 2016, 11:01:25 am »
Jimmy Eat World was a fun show. A really very sold out packed house.
Serious drunken bro-douchebaggery was in full effect though. And 930Staph had to be able to see it. Yet only seemed to intervene in flash-brotography.

Kubacheck

« Reply #2358 on: December 16, 2016, 11:13:41 pm »
the Dean and Britta/Yo La Tengo "50th anniversary of the Velvet Underground in Philly" show was pretty damn awesome!!!... D&B did their "13 Most Beautiful" show, which was great, and then YLT did what was probably a typical 1966 Velvet's show.... lotsa noise and feedback as part of the performance, and I probably got a taste of how a 1966 crowd would've reacted to them, the floor was packed at the start but as the noise/feedback continued, more and more people left, by the end I had plenty of elbow room.....

hutch

« Reply #2359 on: December 16, 2016, 11:28:02 pm »
the Dean and Britta/Yo La Tengo "50th anniversary of the Velvet Underground in Philly" show was pretty damn awesome!!!... D&B did their "13 Most Beautiful" show, which was great, and then YLT did what was probably a typical 1966 Velvet's show.... lotsa noise and feedback as part of the performance, and I probably got a taste of how a 1966 crowd would've reacted to them, the floor was packed at the start but as the noise/feedback continued, more and more people left, by the end I had plenty of elbow room.....

nice.. I'm jealous I could not attend..

YLT really can do it all...

Space Freely

« Reply #2360 on: December 17, 2016, 10:29:28 am »

This exchange sounds straight out of Portlandia. Pure hipster bullshit gold.  :D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:33:05 am by Space Freely »

hutch

« Reply #2361 on: December 18, 2016, 11:01:46 pm »
Seu Jorge.. man his Bowie show was pretty special....in some ways he is so different from Bowie.. a pretty deep baritone, Brazilian, black, masculine or strapping (I can't decide which.. I can't come up with the perfect word for what I want to say or maybe I did), portuguese speaking....

I guess that is what is special. that he can demonstrate the universality of Bowie's songs..

We stuck around a long time after the show.. just to say hi.. a very nice guy.. Sidehatch detected a strong herbal essence emanating from him...

I called him "Seu Jorge" and then felt pretty stupid the next day.. as his name is Jorge.. I think Seu jorge means "I'm George"... so saying "Seu Jorge" to him might be like saying "I'm George!"

Kubacheck

« Reply #2362 on: December 20, 2016, 09:41:45 pm »

This exchange sounds straight out of Portlandia. Pure hipster bullshit gold.  :D

I understand your amusement, it's similar to my reaction when you start waxing poetic about Ace Frehley..... ;)

hutch

« Reply #2363 on: December 20, 2016, 10:02:49 pm »
oh.. Ace Frehley.. funny you should just happen to mention that I just picked up KISSOLOGY Vol. 1 (with bonus Cobo Hall concert! yeah baby! ALIVE TOUR!)

This is going to be epic! Ace in all his splendour .. January 1976!!!!!!!!! I even got the Spring Tour '75' replica backstage pass..

fuckin' awesome.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2364 on: December 28, 2016, 11:07:59 am »

hutch

« Reply #2365 on: December 28, 2016, 11:17:49 am »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2366 on: December 28, 2016, 11:33:09 am »
We opened for Clutch last night.  Well, I say "we".  I play theramin and my number was cut at the last minute.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:39:21 am by excontradiction »

hutch

« Reply #2367 on: December 31, 2016, 12:29:51 pm »
I managed to sneak another show into 2016...

Solid solid Old 97s show last night at the Hamilton... can't help but feel they were keeping a little bit in the tank for tonight... Rhett Miller is ageless... he still looks like a kid...Bethea wails on guitar....they played a few songs from the upcoming album....I think their 2014 album is the best thing they have done in a real long time and compares very favorably with their 90s stuff....its what made me want to see them again after all these years...

they had no merch... they said they'd just flown in from Dallas that day.. not sure why that means there is no merch but whatever...it looked like they had one roadie with them... I was lookin to buy a copy of the last record or something to get signed but it will have to be next time..

I hadn't been back to the Hamilton in a real long time...can't even remember the last time I was there.... I forget what a great place it is to see a show....They just don't get that many shows I'm into but I should make a point of going more often...

Rhett said they loved playing the Hamilton and that they'd been told by the Hamilton that when they played it a couple of years ago they set the record for most bar sales...

I looked for James Ford everywhere but alas no sign of him...

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #2368 on: January 13, 2017, 11:01:17 am »
Comedy at The Big Hunt last night: Joe List, Mark Normand, Louis CK, and 2 locals who were good too. Interesting little room in the basement there.  Some good pics (not by me) here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPNKBG_BSNB/?taken-by=comedyartwork&hl=en

Space Freely

« Reply #2369 on: January 13, 2017, 11:28:31 am »
I managed to sneak another show into 2016...

Solid solid Old 97s show last night at the Hamilton... can't help but feel they were keeping a little bit in the tank for tonight... Rhett Miller is ageless... he still looks like a kid...Bethea wails on guitar....they played a few songs from the upcoming album....I think their 2014 album is the best thing they have done in a real long time and compares very favorably with their 90s stuff....its what made me want to see them again after all these years...

they had no merch... they said they'd just flown in from Dallas that day.. not sure why that means there is no merch but whatever...it looked like they had one roadie with them... I was lookin to buy a copy of the last record or something to get signed but it will have to be next time..

I hadn't been back to the Hamilton in a real long time...can't even remember the last time I was there.... I forget what a great place it is to see a show....They just don't get that many shows I'm into but I should make a point of going more often...

Rhett said they loved playing the Hamilton and that they'd been told by the Hamilton that when they played it a couple of years ago they set the record for most bar sales...

I looked for James Ford everywhere but alas no sign of him...

Just saw this now. Wanted to go to this show, but my brother and his wife were making a short once a year visit to us, and they are not concertgoers. So hanging at home with them won out.

I did once drag my brother to see "The Satellite Riders" play a secret show at the Tractor Tavern prior to their appearance at Bumbershoot in Seattle a number of years ago. While my brother didn't care for it (probably more a reflection of his apathy toward live music than their actual performance), I still think  it was one of the best Old 97's shows I've been to.

I agree about their 2014 album. Definitely the best they've done since 2001 and a welcome surprise after a string of mediocre albums. They always play enough older stuff to make me want to go see them anytime they're in town.