Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242822 times)

stevewizzle

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4065 on: January 07, 2014, 12:22:11 pm »
Got lots of Abrasive if any of you locals are up for a trade.

i wouldn't mind trading for some.  i tried some abrasive, once, at a bottle share party.  wouldn't mind a full pour.

that being said, logistically i have no idea how we could make it happen.  i have zero time to run after beer traders, and ask stevewizzle how efficient i am in the get-to-the-fedex-store department (i'm going tomorrow, i swear...)

to be fair, my shipment got kicked back (poor packaging my ass!) and i still need to send yours out.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4066 on: January 07, 2014, 12:27:51 pm »
a while back, i was lucky enough to grab two 12oz hair of the dogg 'matt' bottles. the beer has been released twice, and it's a commerative ale of the fine guys at bottleworks in seattle.

as complex and delicious as it was, i can't help but beat a dead horse in the fact that they barely carbonate their beers.  it was viscous and heavy and every bit was impressive, but nothing leaves me wanting more. drinking nearly flat strong ales just isn't very desirable.  i've had their beers on draft and they are incredible... i just don't get why they have these carbonation issues. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4067 on: January 09, 2014, 12:06:29 pm »
as complex and delicious as it was, i can't help but beat a dead horse in the fact that they barely carbonate their beers.  it was viscous and heavy and every bit was impressive, but nothing leaves me wanting more. drinking nearly flat strong ales just isn't very desirable.  i've had their beers on draft and they are incredible... i just don't get why they have these carbonation issues. 

seeing how awesome their beers are - i.e. they know how to make beer - i have to assume these aren't issues.  they're making the beer this way on purpose.  maybe they think the carbonation will interfere with the thick mouthfeel of the beer, or the carbonic acid will add a bite they don't want, etc.

you're only a few hours away from portland.  why don't you go down there and yell at them?

once you have your kegerator set up, and are the owner of a CO2 tank, you could get a carbonator cap and carb it yourself to your own liking ;D
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4068 on: January 09, 2014, 12:08:04 pm »
in case anyone is looking for a beer festival: http://craftbeerfestdc.com/

<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4069 on: January 10, 2014, 12:18:54 pm »

stevewizzle

« Reply #4071 on: January 13, 2014, 06:38:02 pm »

seeing how awesome their beers are - i.e. they know how to make beer - i have to assume these aren't issues.  they're making the beer this way on purpose.  maybe they think the carbonation will interfere with the thick mouthfeel of the beer, or the carbonic acid will add a bite they don't want, etc.

i misspoke calling it issues, they clearly know what they are doing. but they vary batch to batch, some come with great carbonation, some don't.  if you're going to bottle condition beers, typically you would want thick glass, and perhaps cork it.  i can't help but think they undercarbonate on purpose so they don't create bombs.

you're only a few hours away from portland.  why don't you go down there and yell at them?

oh, please. if i go down there, it'll go something like this. 

but as far as purchasing bottles, i really find the flat beers undesirable and will only seek out ones confirmed with good carb. and that is why i'm ranting, i hate extra work :)

once you have your kegerator set up, and are the owner of a CO2 tank, you could get a carbonator cap and carb it yourself to your own liking ;D

ha ha... i might just do that.  keg came today.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4072 on: January 15, 2014, 12:16:39 pm »

atomic

« Reply #4073 on: January 15, 2014, 12:33:58 pm »
I had a couple of Bitter American's last night.  Not my favorite beer but it did its job.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
<sig>

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4075 on: January 15, 2014, 12:42:15 pm »
indeed, it was

« Reply #4076 on: January 15, 2014, 07:29:50 pm »
good stuff....
slack

James Ford

« Reply #4077 on: January 15, 2014, 09:42:03 pm »
Has anybody had Victory Hop Ranch yet?

Apparently they have it at Total Wine in Sterling. But the $15.99/four pack price isn't going to make me jump through hoops to get it, especially when Victory DirtWolf goes for $8.49/four pack at Total Wine.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #4078 on: January 16, 2014, 10:40:50 am »
So two years ago #and three years ago, I received one of those Mr. Beer "Make your own beer at home!" kits.  I still have them both, and one of the gifters has finally decided that I need to get off my ass and make the beer (or whatever comes out of those kits). 

Is this likely to go horribly wrong?  Should I be concerned about the age of the yeast?  Are the kits actually a good starting point, or is this just going to be a huge hassle?  Also - I have two cats.  Are they likely to be attracted to (or repulsed by) the fermenting goop in the basement?

Sorry for all the questions...

atomic

« Reply #4079 on: January 16, 2014, 10:50:11 am »
So two years ago #and three years ago, I received one of those Mr. Beer "Make your own beer at home!" kits.  I still have them both, and one of the gifters has finally decided that I need to get off my ass and make the beer (or whatever comes out of those kits). 

Is this likely to go horribly wrong?  Should I be concerned about the age of the yeast?  Are the kits actually a good starting point, or is this just going to be a huge hassle?  Also - I have two cats.  Are they likely to be attracted to (or repulsed by) the fermenting goop in the basement?

Sorry for all the questions...

It is pretty easy just make sure you keep everything clean.  It is probably better to have newer yeast.  But don't listen to what they say about days.  You need to ferment at least 2 weeks and then keep in the bottle 3 weeks.  I think they changed to a better ingredients a couple of years ago.  So you might just want to pick up a whole new malted hops/yeast combo.  I do think their octoberfest kit is pretty good.