Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242901 times)

Yada

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4080 on: January 16, 2014, 01:19:17 pm »
So two years ago #and three years ago, I received one of those Mr. Beer "Make your own beer at home!" kits.  I still have them both, and one of the gifters has finally decided that I need to get off my ass and make the beer (or whatever comes out of those kits). 

Is this likely to go horribly wrong?  Should I be concerned about the age of the yeast?  Are the kits actually a good starting point, or is this just going to be a huge hassle?  Also - I have two cats.  Are they likely to be attracted to (or repulsed by) the fermenting goop in the basement?

Sorry for all the questions...

It is pretty easy just make sure you keep everything clean.  It is probably better to have newer yeast.  But don't listen to what they say about days.  You need to ferment at least 2 weeks and then keep in the bottle 3 weeks.  I think they changed to a better ingredients a couple of years ago.  So you might just want to pick up a whole new malted hops/yeast combo.  I do think their octoberfest kit is pretty good.

My advice, don't do what anusfront tells you to do.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4081 on: January 16, 2014, 02:55:37 pm »

Ha ha very funny. #Trolling!

So you've told me what not to do.  Can you now answer the questions I asked?  Or do you not know, but you just had to get a dig in?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #4082 on: January 16, 2014, 02:58:36 pm »
the only thing yada knows about beer . . . is how to open the top of the bottle.  just kidding, brah.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4083 on: January 16, 2014, 03:02:28 pm »

Ha ha very funny. #Trolling!

So you've told me what not to do.  Can you now answer the questions I asked?  Or do you not know, but you just had to get a dig in?

anusfront's advice is fairly sound. i'd still use the old yeast... it's a dry package, it should be fine.  two or three years ago is quite a while... three-year old hops may be a problem, might not impart much bittering flavor.  you could always buy new ingredients, but at this point, i would just go for it and not pour any money into it.  

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #4084 on: January 16, 2014, 03:40:38 pm »
I just checked out the contents of the box...it includes yeast and "hopped malt extract".  No need to worry about the hops going bad...they started that way!

atomic

« Reply #4085 on: January 16, 2014, 03:55:58 pm »
I just checked out the contents of the box...it includes yeast and "hopped malt extract".  No need to worry about the hops going bad...they started that way!

Yeah the stuff in the can will stay good forever.  I guess you could throw the yeast in there and if you don't see any action in a day then go buy new yeast.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4086 on: January 16, 2014, 05:57:03 pm »
So two years ago #and three years ago, I received one of those Mr. Beer "Make your own beer at home!" kits.  I still have them both, and one of the gifters has finally decided that I need to get off my ass and make the beer (or whatever comes out of those kits). 

Is this likely to go horribly wrong?  Should I be concerned about the age of the yeast? 

IMO, you have two choices:

1) use what you've got. upside: easy, "free", you're ready to go.  downside: the beer is going to be less than optimal.  the extract is now 2+ years old, you really want your extract - especially liquid extract - to be as fresh as possible.  yeast is probably ok, not ideal but ok.  hops will be not-so-OK, expect a slightly sweeter beer and little hop aroma/flavor.

2) buy yourself a mr. beer replacement kit (ingredients only).  upside: beer will be better.  downside: $.

option 1 would be a good practice run.  it'll allow you to see what the process is like and you'll end up with something (may or may not be very good).  option #2 will greatly increase your chances of making a good beverage.

Are the kits actually a good starting point, or is this just going to be a huge hassle?  Also - I have two cats.  Are they likely to be attracted to (or repulsed by) the fermenting goop in the basement?

i've never tried any mr. beer beer, but i've read that they can produce good beer.  unfortunately the instructions provided are a bit lacking.  they emphasize how simple and quick it is to do, they don't want to fill the user's head with subtleties and doubt that would prevent them from buying another kit.  so instead of having a "and here's how to get from good to great", they provide the abre minimum.  main thing they don't discuss is temperature control.  you want to keep the beer in the low 60's if possible.  is your basement heated?  unheated basements this time of year are just about perfect for fermenting beer.

don't think you'll need to worry about your cats.  my bet is they'll take one whiff and get turned off by the smell of CO2 escaping, once fermentation starts.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 05:59:39 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #4087 on: January 16, 2014, 06:17:42 pm »
Thanks, sweetcell!  We're doing this on Saturday, so I'll know for sure how it went in 5-6 weeks :)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4088 on: January 16, 2014, 10:04:47 pm »
have fun! :D
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4089 on: January 17, 2014, 08:45:37 pm »
Had one of these with dinnner, and OMFG, it was soooooo good. 98 on Beer Advocate

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28178/87145/

James Ford

« Reply #4090 on: January 17, 2014, 08:49:24 pm »
And for dessert: 100 on Beer Advocate

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1146/57747/

James Ford

Unsanity

« Reply #4092 on: January 18, 2014, 05:06:13 am »
Allagash Midnight Brett Ale. Kinda expensive but damn tasty. Reminded me a bit of the Clutch Dark Sour Ale. If you see it give it a try.

James Ford

« Reply #4093 on: January 18, 2014, 09:06:53 am »
Your take on the Midnight Brett as a little different than mine and Brennser's.

Started by James Ford, Message by brennser:
Midnight Brett is disgusting - it smells like vomit and tastes only marginally better

Quote from: James Ford on January 01, 2014, 10:58:04 PM

6. Allagash Midnight Brett.. 4.5/10. like cherry cola And I hate cherry cola.

Allagash Midnight Brett Ale. Kinda expensive but damn tasty. Reminded me a bit of the Clutch Dark Sour Ale. If you see it give it a try.

atomic

« Reply #4094 on: January 18, 2014, 02:36:31 pm »
I had a bunch of Gaffel Kolsch last night.  Good drinking beer.  Tasted fresh and natural almost like a home brew.