Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901967 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1485 on: February 15, 2009, 07:16:27 pm »
(Microsoft prohibits netbooks from having more than 1GB from the manufacturer)

Hmmm....My notebook had 3GBs of RAM from the manufacturer.

Jag, I said NETbook, not notebook.  There's a difference (netbooks are less powerful, but more portable).
27>34

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1486 on: February 15, 2009, 07:59:40 pm »
Okay, so I failed my nerd test.  ;D  I wouldn't want to go any smaller anyway. It gets a full thumbs up from me for anyone shopping in that category. It's quite a nice little notebook packed with a punch.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1487 on: February 16, 2009, 10:45:37 am »
Microsoft previews Windows Mobile 6.5

(...)

Now, here's some bad news. Microsoft doesn't plan on releasing Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrades or devices until the second half of 2009. While there were a couple of handset announcements made in conjunction with the Windows Mobile 6.5 news (LG has committed to Windows Mobile as the primary operating system for its smartphones and will release a 6.5 device later this year, and HTC will offer Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrades for its new HTC Touch Pro2 and HTC Touch Diamond2 devices), you can bet that Microsoft's competition won't be sitting still during that time and will make gains in their own OS.

The new enhancements promise to improve the usability of the OS but they seem more like baby steps rather than giant leaps forward, so it will be interesting to see where Windows Mobile 6.5 will be in the game by the time it finally comes out.

booooooooo.  i'm due for a new phone this summer and i've been loving the HTC Touch, but if WinMo6.5 isn't available at that time i'm jumping to the iphone.

<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #1488 on: February 16, 2009, 12:59:28 pm »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are having problems with WinMo 6.1, 6.5 isn't going to help that very much.  WinMo 6.5 basically catches the rest of the phones up to what some manufacturers are already doing with WInMo 6.1 (like HTC with the TOchFlo3D and Samnsungs Omnia Interface).  It's an interface fix and little bit of stability, but not much more than that (the exclusion of Zune is just baffling).  You're better off hoping that manufacturers continue to update the interface at a pace faster than MS, otherwise no huge change will come until WinMo 7, which is a 2010 release. 
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #1489 on: February 16, 2009, 09:58:37 pm »
i just got into netflix streaming.  finally setup wireless in my house.  wii wireless is now my god with coins and old game downloads.  now i understand fully how streaming films is killing dvd.  the selection is uncomparable, unbeatable, and music to the ears of my after work laziness .  i just watched this indie documentary called dark days that made all the nonsense of life seem so trivial.  check it out.  that is all.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1490 on: February 17, 2009, 09:08:38 am »
i just got into netflix streaming.  finally setup wireless in my house.  wii wireless is now my god with coins and old game downloads.  now i understand fully how streaming films is killing dvd.  the selection is uncomparable, unbeatable, and music to the ears of my after work laziness .  i just watched this indie documentary called dark days that made all the nonsense of life seem so trivial.  check it out.  that is all.
Walkonby I totally agree, that film Dark Days is truly astounding.  Maybe the greatest documentary I've ever seen.  People here if you have not seen, run, don't walk.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1491 on: February 17, 2009, 11:38:59 am »
woa, this looks really intense... must check out

Dark Days official website
Dark Days Wiki page
Dark Days @ IMDB
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #1492 on: February 17, 2009, 10:10:39 pm »
tip your maids in hotel stays.  even vansmack would have to agree on this one.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-25303242

vansmack

« Reply #1493 on: February 18, 2009, 10:40:31 pm »
My love for The Director grows by leaps and bounds on a weekly basis...
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1494 on: February 18, 2009, 11:45:19 pm »
back of the line, buddy.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #1495 on: February 18, 2009, 11:53:41 pm »
I will overtake you faster than Hitler overtook Paris...
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1496 on: February 19, 2009, 03:24:43 pm »
OH YES YES OVERTAKE ME NOW MEIN KAPITAN!  OUI, JE SURRENDER!
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #1497 on: February 19, 2009, 04:49:39 pm »
My love for The Director grows by leaps and bounds on a weekly basis...

care to elaborate?  i had an "interesting" encounter with him outside of lisa lamp's warner late night show.

walkonby

« Reply #1498 on: February 27, 2009, 05:37:08 pm »
vansmack, i am not posting in your thread to be douchey . . . and i don't expect or ask for you to speak to me.  i just thought that this article and topic deserved to be in your thread. 

there seems to be a new religion out there; one for the records; one to replace scientology as the new hip, hip shit for the elite and the stars to latch onto.  it is call the "the singularity."  a man, brilliant as he may be, has devised an idea that by 2045, computers and humans will be become one, thereby shifting life as we know it and "awaking" the universe into a computer controlled living thing.  what a lovely thought, mister terminator.  this man, aka ray kurzweil, takes up to 150 pills a day just to live long enough to see this date happen and his new religion become the truth.  and why.  why does he want it to happen.  so we as humans can "back up our brains" like software, replicate our dna to live forever, and bring back those who should remain dead . . . such as the man's father.  all of this because his misses his father.  just what we need, a way to pollute our land with even more people.  real smart.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-talk-singularity-keilmanfeb23,0,4826021.story

just read a great article about it in rolling stone, as well.  very interesting.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:45:00 pm by walkonby »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #1499 on: February 27, 2009, 10:59:37 pm »
<sig>